2023 NHL Draft June 28 and 29, Nashville, TN (Selections - 13, 39, 45, 86, 109, 141, 173, 205)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
NHL Draft 2022 top prospects: Standouts from the Hlinka Gretzky Cup

Matvei Michkov, RW, Russia, 2023 eligible

The MVP of the U18 worlds in the spring against the 2003 age group, it’s no surprise Michkov dominated the 2004 age group. His puck skills, hockey sense and shot all get extremely high grades. He’s one of the most creative players I’ve seen in recent years, making unique plays with the puck at a very high rate while scoring goals at an incredible frequency for a player his age at the levels he’s played at. Michkov is not the biggest and his skating is good, not great, with great edgework but lacking separation speed. But his puck game is special enough to make him a truly elite prospect.

With the Sabres taking a lot of Russians in 2021, it will be fun to debate whether the Sabres should take Michkov, if they can, in 2023.

Right now, the biggest issue is his long term deal with SKA in the KHL. He is signed through the 2025-26 season.

Nobody Can Stop 16-Year-Old Phenom Matvei Michkov

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Michkov's deal with SKA isn't too bad. Worst case you get a developed superstar at ELC for two years when we should be competing.
Best case he has a buyout clause or manages to void the contract some other way.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Michkov's deal with SKA isn't too bad. Worst case you get a developed superstar at ELC for two years when we should be competing.
Best case he has a buyout clause or manages to void the contract some other way.

Plenty of people will lose their minds if a top 5 pick isn't coming over for three years. And given the impatience among the fans and media given the lengthy playoff draught, there will be plenty of that happening if the Sabres do take him.

And there will be the people saying that he will never come over because the Sabres are horrible. Those are the same people worried that Power will never sign here.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
I think he'll see his first 8 figure contract looming, or his agent will, and they will figure out how to make ends meet with his current deal so they can focus on working through that ELC.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
It's never too early to talk about future Sabres top 5 picks...

I'm always for talking prospects. I'm hesitant though on it germinating around here that 2022-2023 is acceptable to be a tank year again, given the top 2, despite the scenario being different in virtually every way, including the lotto rules.

I hope we aren't in the lottery in 2023 :D

Reactions: jc17

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm always for talking prospects. I'm hesitant though on it germinating around here that 2022-2023 is acceptable to be a tank year again, given the top 2, despite the scenario being different in virtually every way, including the lotto rules.

I hope we aren't in the lottery in 2023 :D

I fully expect the Sabres to be competing for Bedard and Michkov in 22-23.

The lottery rules don't effect how good the Sabres roster is. I don't see this team having anywhere close to the right pieces. And I doubt that Adams gets them between now and the start of next season.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
If we are in the running for a top pick in 2023, then it is my sincere hope that it is because we either:

- acquired an unprotected 1st in 2023 as part of an Eichel trade; or
- we finished just out of the playoffs and beat extremely long odds to win the lottery.

If you use the Eichel draft in 2015 as the dividing line (pre and post Eichel), the Sabres currently have:

- Nine players in their system who were drafted in the 1st round over the past 6 years (Thompson, Mittelstadt, Jokiharju, Dahlin, Cozens, Johnson, Quinn, Power and Rosen); five of those players were top 8 and two were 1st overall
- Multiple additional well-regarded (depending on how you evaluate well-regarded) youngish players and prospects (Asplund, Laaksonen, Ruotsalainen, Peterka, Samuelsson, Luukkonen, Bryson, Portillo, Levi, this year's 2nd rd picks and others)
- Six picks (three 1sts and three 2nds) in the first two rounds of the next two drafts; and
- They are almost certainly going to add at least 2 and possibly 3-4 assets that fit into these categories once an Eichel trade is completed.

The Sabres have missed the playoffs 10 straight years and finished dead last in 4 of those years.

What is nearly unimaginable to me, is that an organization or any member of its fan-base would look at that prospect and draft capital and at a current 10 year history of losing and think:

"You know what we really need? At least 2 more years of sucking really hard."

If we are picking 1st in 2023 because of our own continued ineptitude, purposeful or otherwise, then we will be at great risk of having a Lemieux/Lindros situation where a top prospect says "I'm not putting that jersey on".

What the Sabres need is to start winning hockey games.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I fully expect the Sabres to be competing for Bedard and Michkov in 22-23.

The lottery rules don't effect how good the Sabres roster is. I don't see this team having anywhere close to the right pieces. And I doubt that Adams gets them between now and the start of next season.

I'll start expecting in April, 2022. I'm not expecting yet.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Don’t sleep on Arjun Bawa in 2023. He currently looks to be a 3rd rounder, but if his offensive game in the WHL clicks in the next two years, he’ll be a 1st rounder. He’s already a huge kid (6’2, 185 pounds at 15 years old), who is known to run through walls for his team.

He’s basically his dad Robin, minus needing to fight.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Keep an eye on Dvorsky as he might be a real challenger to the big 2. His Hlinka was as impressive, but he's a 200' big center in the Barkov / Kopitar mold
He’s great. He tied Cole Perfetti’s scoring record at the HGC cup while playing on the second line and can still come to this tournament next season. I believe he will break the new point record (Michkov-13) next year. Michael Handzus called him a future no.1 Center and the Slovak player of the future. He reminds me of Anton Lundell but a level up on offense. I think your comparison with Barkov is spot on. Dvorsky is a natural Center who is great on face offs as well. Me and some other Slovak posters believe he will be our no.1 in 4 months at the World juniors

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I'm on team "no interest in a top 5 2023 pick". Sure there are some studs, but this is ridiculous.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
If we are in the running for a top pick in 2023, then it is my sincere hope that it is because we either:

- we finished just out of the playoffs and beat extremely long odds to win the lottery.

If you use the Eichel draft in 2015 as the dividing line (pre and post Eichel), the Sabres currently have:

- Nine players in their system who were drafted in the 1st round over the past 6 years (Thompson, Mittelstadt, Jokiharju, Dahlin, Cozens, Johnson, Quinn, Power and Rosen); five of those players were top 8 and two were 1st overall
- Multiple additional well-regarded (depending on how you evaluate well-regarded) youngish players and prospects (Asplund, Laaksonen, Ruotsalainen, Peterka, Samuelsson, Luukkonen, Bryson, Portillo, Levi, this year's 2nd rd picks and others)
- Six picks (three 1sts and three 2nds) in the first two rounds of the next two drafts; and
- They are almost certainly going to add at least 2 and possibly 3-4 assets that fit into these categories once an Eichel trade is completed.

The Sabres have missed the playoffs 10 straight years and finished dead last in 4 of those years.

What is nearly unimaginable to me, is that an organization or any member of its fan-base would look at that prospect and draft capital and at a current 10 year history of losing and think:

If we are picking 1st in 2023 because of our own continued ineptitude, purposeful or otherwise, then we will be at great risk of having a Lemieux/Lindros situation where a top prospect says "I'm not putting that jersey on".

It seems to me it’s exactly what their plan is, and they’re just doing their best to not come out and say it. In trading Eichel, Reinhart, and Risto even, it’s pretty clear they’re trying to hit the reset button. The fact that it’s tacking on more years of misery to a team/fan base that’s endured more than enough notwithstanding, at this point, it’s the path that the Sabres are on. As it stands, what reasonable series of events do you envision that would even make this team competitive and able to win games any sooner?

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
It seems to me it’s exactly what their plan is, and they’re just doing their best to not come out and say it. In trading Eichel, Reinhart, and Risto even, it’s pretty clear they’re trying to hit the reset button. The fact that it’s tacking on more years of misery to a team/fan base that’s endured more than enough notwithstanding, at this point, it’s the path that the Sabres are on. As it stands, what reasonable series of events do you envision that would even make this team competitive and able to win games any sooner?
I won't say they'll be tanking in 22-23, as I envision them being young and hungry, but not good enough to climb out of the bottom 10 but looking promising. If Eichel is traded for mostly futures then you're looking at those pieces either in junior or Rochester this coming year along with Power at UofM. Then in 22-23 you have Power able to make an impact, a top prospect ala Krebs, Zary etc ready along with Quinn and then hopefully one of the big 3C debuting

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

Post of the year candidate. Couldn't have put it better myself.

The idea of this team still tanking when our superstar player is 23yo having played five NHL seasons is disturbing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad