2023 NFL/NCAA/HS Football Thread

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think the Patriots will probably take McCarthy, so no need to worry about that.

The Giants need a QB, but I doubt Daniels drops enough to trade up and snag him, and I'm not fully sold on Maye.
Hopefully the scouts get this draft right. it isn't looking so hot right now in Giants land after a promising start under the current regime.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Best QB option for the Giants would be Penix in the 2nd round, IMO. I don't think any of the QBs outside of Williams is an upgrade for this year specifically, so might as well take advantage of being handed your pick of non-QB players given 4 QBs might be going ahead of you in 5 picks. Leveraging two firsts+ to trade up 3 spots and pick a QB with serious questions when you have as many holes as that roster does feels even more wrong then spending a 2nd/3rd rounder on a development QB. Assuming the year goes how you expect it to, you'll get some games to see if Penix is a legit consideration for next year and you'll be back in the top 5 to get your QB then with a better roster around them.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Best QB option for the Giants would be Penix in the 2nd round, IMO. I don't think any of the QBs outside of Williams is an upgrade for this year specifically, so might as well take advantage of being handed your pick of non-QB players given 4 QBs might be going ahead of you in 5 picks. Leveraging two firsts+ to trade up 3 spots and pick a QB with serious questions when you have as many holes as that roster does feels even more wrong then spending a 2nd/3rd rounder on a development QB. Assuming the year goes how you expect it to, you'll get some games to see if Penix is a legit consideration for next year and you'll be back in the top 5 to get your QB then with a better roster around them.
I watched a few games of Penix and did not love his accuracy. Just my subjective viewing. Maybe they were bad days for him and of course he can improve with pro coaching.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I watched a few games of Penix and did not love his accuracy. Just my subjective viewing. Maybe they were bad days for him and of course he can improve with pro coaching.
I don't actually think any of the QBs outside of Williams will be a long term solution. I'm no football expert as my experience playing the sport is pretty limited and I don't dive into it analytically the same way I do hockey, but I've grown to be extremely cynical of QBs. It's not that I think Penix is good, but there's a slight chance he goes in the back half of the first or in the 2nd and that would be a better choice for the Giants.

There's like 10 dudes on the planet at any point capable of playing QB at a super bowl level, so generally the idea that anyone with questions coming out of college is going to get to that point is dubious to me. Not worth the risk of moving up, at least.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
I don't actually think any of the QBs outside of Williams will be a long term solution. I'm no football expert as my experience playing the sport is pretty limited and I don't dive into it analytically the same way I do hockey, but I've grown to be extremely cynical of QBs. It's not that I think Penix is good, but there's a slight chance he goes in the back half of the first or in the 2nd and that would be a better choice for the Giants.

There's like 10 dudes on the planet at any point capable of playing QB at a super bowl level, so generally the idea that anyone with questions coming out of college is going to get to that point is dubious to me. Not worth the risk of moving up, at least.
Isn't that amazing how few guys can really play QB at anything above a decent level. You'd think there would be more than maybe a handful at any given time but no. Right now, there's Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Jackson, maybe Tua and Prescott and one or two others (Jalen Hurts?). I could see Stroud moving into that tier but most guys can only win if their line is really good and the defense is really good. Let's put Brock Purdy on he Jets and see how great he is.

Reactions: Rhodes 81

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
I think the Patriots will probably take McCarthy, so no need to worry about that.

The Giants need a QB, but I doubt Daniels drops enough to trade up and snag him, and I'm not fully sold on Maye.
Ugh same. I wish next years QB class was strong but it’s looking weaker than this one

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Isn't that amazing how few guys can really play QB at anything above a decent level. You'd think there would be more than maybe a handful at any given time but no. Right now, there's Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Jackson, maybe Tua and Prescott and one or two others (Jalen Hurts?). I could see Stroud moving into that tier but most guys can only win if their line is really good and the defense is really good. Let's put Brock Purdy on he Jets and see how great he is.
teams should just draft a qb and sit him for a year or two behind their starter much like the packers did twice now. i get the jury is still out on love but drafting a kid throwing him into such a high pressure high iq fast moving totally different game then college is just crazy. the guys you mention are elite qbs but i wonder how many other "busts" wouldn't be busts if they got time on the bench first. wilson/darnold/fields/jones/trubisky list just goes on and on with qb washouts drafted high.

fine with the giants drafting a qb at 6 just throw jones out there while you rebuild the team and then insert the qb a couple years from now. granted i dont know much about roster sizes/cap/contracts and all that so maybe thats not doable

My3Sons

Sponsor
teams should just draft a qb and sit him for a year or two behind their starter much like the packers did twice now. i get the jury is still out on love but drafting a kid throwing him into such a high pressure high iq fast moving totally different game then college is just crazy. the guys you mention are elite qbs but i wonder how many other "busts" wouldn't be busts if they got time on the bench first. wilson/darnold/fields/jones/trubisky list just goes on and on with qb washouts drafted high.

fine with the giants drafting a qb at 6 just throw jones out there while you rebuild the team and then insert the qb a couple years from now. granted i dont know much about roster sizes/cap/contracts and all that so maybe thats not doable
It's doable. The NFL cap is malleable. The Saints did it for years to accommodate Brees. I tend to agree with you but I will say QBs are better coming out of college these days as college offenses are becoming more sophisticated. Most pro teams run some elements of a spread at least some of the time. Hurry up and third down and sometimes goal line stuff.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
McCarthy is not good, all this for a souped up AJ McCarron lmao

If the giants don’t trade up for Maye I pray to god they stay put for Nabers/Odunze. Want no part of JJ.

Would be smart, they still need an alpha WR1 that the franchise hasn't had since Cruz/Nicks tbh

Odunze + him would be their smartest option but they're gonna force themselves into taking a QB because Daboll's getting fired if they don't fire a successor and Schoen finally wants his imprint on that team as well and finally move on from the disaster that is Daniel Jones

My3Sons

Sponsor
Arch won't be eligible till 2026 lol
I was just teasing. My youngest played lacrosse against Arch's brother and they had some friends in common. Arch played in a low division in high school. As my youngest explained to me, Arch faced defensive linemen that were 5'10" and slow. I don't doubt he's talented but I'm sure he's quite a project as well. Arch did get a few of his buddies into UT with him so he's obviously a good friend.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I was just teasing. My youngest played lacrosse against Arch's brother and they had some friends in common. Arch played in a low division in high school. As my youngest explained to me, Arch faced defensive linemen that were 5'10" and slow. I don't doubt he's talented but I'm sure he's quite a project as well. Arch did get a few of his buddies into UT with him so he's obviously a good friend.

Haha, gotcha. I forgot you were from NOLA, football is king down there so I'm sure stuff like that happens all the time where big recruits get their buddies to tag along

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
NFL Draft used to be one of my favorite days of the year. But it just hasn't been the same for me since they moved to prime time in 2010. I loved waking up on a Saturday morning and watching the first round.

But with it in prime time, I'm usually wrapping up my work day on the west coast. I'd have to ignore texts from friends reacting. That first year I remember sneaking out of work early only have the non-sports radio DJ spoil the first few picks.

Mix in the Chargers relocating and a terrible Kevin Costner movie, it just doesn't hit the same as it used to. [/oldmanyellingatcloud]

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta

QB contracts are so expensive that even an extremely marginal QB like Jones got paid huge after one good year. The Falcons just paid a QB firmly in the good but not great tier $45 million a year. Meanwhile, that much money can often pay 3-4 pro bowl caliber players depending on the position. If you have a cheap QB on their rookie contract, you can really afford to build out the rest of your roster to the point where it is a serious advantage, so if you can win with a QB on their rookie contract or 5th year option, it gives you a tremendous advantage assuming you're competent at building the rest of the roster. Most QBs are going to need to actually play for at least 1-2 years before they really start to put it all together anyway, so you have a tight window to start that process and still take advantage of having a young QB. In the case of the Giants where you have Jones already and can't really cut him this year, you can get away with sitting a highly drafted QB for one season but by opening week year 2 he has to be the starter or else you're giving up too many cheap years if he's any good.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
QB contracts are so expensive that even an extremely marginal QB like Jones got paid huge after one good year. The Falcons just paid a QB firmly in the good but not great tier $45 million a year. Meanwhile, that much money can often pay 3-4 pro bowl caliber players depending on the position. If you have a cheap QB on their rookie contract, you can really afford to build out the rest of your roster to the point where it is a serious advantage, so if you can win with a QB on their rookie contract or 5th year option, it gives you a tremendous advantage assuming you're competent at building the rest of the roster. Most QBs are going to need to actually play for at least 1-2 years before they really start to put it all together anyway, so you have a tight window to start that process and still take advantage of having a young QB. In the case of the Giants where you have Jones already and can't really cut him this year, you can get away with sitting a highly drafted QB for one season but by opening week year 2 he has to be the starter or else you're giving up too many cheap years if he's any good.
thats good point but man seeing all these guys bust so high i rather sit him and eat some good cheap years if it means i'm going to have a viable starter for the long term. its crazy how many high picks dont pan out in the nfl. for such a high money business too you would think these guys are better equipped at scouting. then again how well can you scout a college kid when teams are stacked in colleges and they run up the score against community colleges

Reactions: Rhodes 81

My3Sons

Sponsor
Haha, gotcha. I forgot you were from NOLA, football is king down there so I'm sure stuff like that happens all the time where big recruits get their buddies to tag along
Bama has given parents jobs and girlfriends scholarships. LSU also. Leonard Fournette's brother was comped at LSU and when he left they kept the brother around so props to them for living up to their word. You hear all sorts of wacky stuff about college football. A buddy of our middle son played for LSU and his dad told us how messy it was when Orgeron was in charge. Our middle son is also buddies with a kid that played at Tulane and he just kept his head down and did what he could to make the most of his education which was smart on his part. Our youngest is friends with guys who play at McNeese and Oklahoma St. Our oldest intercepted the Tulane starting QB from maybe 2018-2019 back when they were in 7th grade. You really can't get away from it down here if you have kids that participate in athletics to any extent.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
@Zajacs Bowl Cut thoughts on the Worthy smoke to Miami?

Bama has given parents jobs and girlfriends scholarships. LSU also. Leonard Fournette's brother was comped at LSU and when he left they kept the brother around so props to them for living up to their word. You hear all sorts of wacky stuff about college football. A buddy of our middle son played for LSU and his dad told us how messy it was when Orgeron was in charge. Our middle son is also buddies with a kid that played at Tulane and he just kept his head down and did what he could to make the most of his education which was smart on his part. Our youngest is friends with guys who play at McNeese and Oklahoma St. Our oldest intercepted the Tulane starting QB from maybe 2018-2019 back when they were in 7th grade. You really can't get away from it down here if you have kids that participate in athletics to any extent.

Yeah, that's the one thing I wish we had up here in the Northeast with football. It's also why I regret I didn't play football in high school and decided to play hockey, lol. I don't regret choosing hockey as a sport but I feel like football is way more close knit and you see guys who forge different paths in that sport. You probably play future pros down there in high school without knowing it lol

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Yeah, that's the one thing I wish we had up here in the Northeast with football. It's also why I regret I didn't play football in high school and decided to play hockey, lol. I don't regret choosing hockey as a sport but I feel like football is way more close knit and you see guys who forge different paths in that sport. You probably play future pros down there in high school without knowing it lol

I really like Worthy as a player, I just don't think we need more of that skillset in this offense. With Tyreek, Waddle, and Achane (and Mostert), they have speed covered.

Obviously it all depends on the board, but I would love one of the OL or EDGEs in the 1st and a WR in the 2nd.

My3Sons

Sponsor

Any of the bigger schools play at least some D1 guys every year. There are one or two most years from my kids’ school. Usually a baseball D1 recruit or two also.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Any of the bigger schools play at least some D1 guys every year. There are one or two most years from my kids’ school. Usually a baseball D1 recruit or two also.
Yep, my high school sent 2 or 3 to D1 each year. Basically every school in the Atlanta Suburbs has multiple D1 Football players. I had a coworker that played at an FCS school and liked to talk about how he got tackled by Grady Jarrett in high school

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad