2023 NFL/NCAA/HS Football Thread

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
There is one big advantage to receiving first and it's whether you can go down and score a TD.

Then you force the team going second to need a TD back and either risk a two point conversion or risk you having a second possession where a FG wins the game.

Problem is they settled for a FG instead of going for it on 4th and 4 deep in the red zone.

Though even with a gassed D, I would rather try to hold Mahomes to a FG when it's a normal 3 down situation when the game isn't on the line vs a situation where he is required to go 4 downs and can win the game.

And thats a thought I had the moment they explained the rules and flipped the coin.

Dude is far too clutch to let him have the ball last.

And I think the proper strategy for these rules is to play to win the game before sudden death starts. You don't play to hold for a second possession.

i dont want to keep bashing the overtime choice but i did hear an interesting take on espn. on that opening overtime drive why not go for it on 4th and 4 at the chiefs 9? first they probably play the series different and maybe convert. at worst they dont pick up any yards and give the chiefs the ball inside their 10 and more importantly it takes away 4 down strategy from the chiefs. sure mahomes would only have to go 50ish yards to get a fg but they did hold them to a 4th down which who knows what they do there. so honestly if his thinking was 3rd possession they he should've gone for it on 4th down that deep.

Call me crazy but I actually think a healthy Rodgers + same level of Jets defense could beat them next year especially if the Jets host them in a playoff game. The more realistic option is Cincy dethroning the Chiefs in the AFC. Darkhorse would be Chargers/Jets.

burrow has the talent to match mahomes i just dont know if that alone is enough to beat them. yes i know they beat them once already but the chiefs did screw that game up themselves.

i think until kelce retires or falls off a cliff the chiefs have the edge

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
as a non-Giants or Eagles fan, the Eagles signing all the Giants good players is objectively hilarious

Saquon's a dawg but if I was a Giants fan, I'd be kinda glad that era is over. It always seemed like they tried to justify picking him at #2, now they can legit build an offense in the new NFL and not the 1980's.

Last edited:

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Losing Bryce Huff sucks. We've been dying for a pass rusher for over a decade now, we finally have one that was a homegrown, undrafted player and let him walk. Will McDonald has the talent to replace him, but I'm skeptical of the logic from the front office here.

Only thing that gives me any hope is that Quinnen Williams is so good that if they can find another semi-decent pass rusher, he will have the ability to feast. Jermaine Johnson has been great on the other side as well.

I can see why we haven't been linked to any o-linemen yet, guys are getting some obscene money out there right now.

Reactions: My3Sons

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
That keyboard riff sounds like Don Henley's Dirty Laundry.

funny thing is that song came on the radio while driving around ottawa last week and i said to my friend who i work for (he was also the guitarist in our band years ago) that 'some songs just dont know when to f***ing end'

*also see my sharona and rock lobster....i DJ'd a wedding years ago with my vinyl and had to cross fade that b52s song short as it felt like it was going on forever ... (thats what she said)

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
They had to, all of their other good players retired. :sarcasm:

Annoying to see Saquon go to a rival, but that's how it goes.
Running backs are seen as largely fungible by the teams. They lose their explosiveness fairly quickly compared to other positions and they are injured more frequently. As a result, teams don't want to invest in them.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Saquon's a dawg but if I was a Giants fan, I'd be kinda glad that era is over. It always seemed like they tried to justify picking him at #2, now they can legit build an offense in the new NFL and not the 1980's.

Yeah I'm fine with him leaving, though it's annoying it's to Philly.

He never made sense when they picked him and he doesn't make sense for them where they are currently at.

Now this Burns trade, let's talk.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Catching up on free agency day…

IMG_1875.jpeg

Reactions: Maine Fan

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
There's a rumor that Rodgers might be RFK's VP and there's a godaddy domain already taken for the name, lmao. I'm basically out on football if that happens

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
There's a rumor that Rodgers might be RFK's VP and there's a godaddy domain already taken for the name, lmao. I'm basically out on football if that happens
Wait, Aaron Rodgers as VP? Really? After all those pissy interviews and that leg injury? Clearly no one has told Kennedy that Rodgers is now with the Jets and not the Packers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad