2023 NFL/NCAA/HS Football Thread

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
OH BOY, Niners apparently didn’t even realize the rule changed for the playoffs

Seems like a major fail on SF's part - how are the players not aware of the new playoff rules? Granted, I wasn't either at the time since I don't follow the NFL that closely anymore, but a 13 year old kid explained it us.

KC was clearly prepared and had the right gameplan of "if we exchange TD's, we're going for 2 to win it".

the first time a team chooses to go second and trades field goals in OT and then loses on the second possession by the team initially receiving the ball on another field goal the media will swing the narrative. I don't disagree with a lot of what you say, but each situation has to be assessed individually and unless someone offers their opinion before the events unfold it's hard to take it too seriously.

I was screaming at the TV as soon as KC elected to receive & have many witnesses!

It's bound to happen that that a team will win after 3 FG's are exchanged, but I think that the record will ultimately favor teams that get the ball 2nd and the narrative will strongly remain with how KC planned for playoff OT. The advantages of going with 4 downs, knowing if you need to go for a TD or FG to tie/win it and an early turnover basically ending the game is just way too much of an advantage over the possibility of getting the ball first for the 3rd OT possession - especially when you consider that you can be more aggressive and go for the TD while utilizing all 4 downs if you're so concerned about giving the other team possession again for a possible game winning FG.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
i guess but to me there is only 2 guaranteed possessions to even get to a third is a long shot. so if its me give me the chance to steal a ball on defense first and end the game. or at worst give me a chance to tie the game with 3pts or win the game with 8pts both using 4 down thinking. heck you could even make the argument if the chiefs were facing a 4th and 3 say from the 30 on their overtime drive they probably are going for it. just keep the mindset that you need a td to win at all costs and keep control in your hands. so that would be interesting would the team down 3pts settle for a fg if its a reasonable 4th down? or would they try and go for it?

SF had done a good job in the game up to that point defensively. It wasn’t unreasonable to choose either approach in my view. Again I don’t really disagree with you so much as I think the sports media are fulll of it when they run with a narrative that they will reverse course on when that will generate clicks.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I still can't wrap my head around why SF would elect to receive first in OT after winning the coin toss?

Seems like it's a massive advantage to have the 2nd possession with OT rules that guarantee each team gets the ball at least once. 49ers nearly turned the ball over at the start of their drive, which would've ended the game with a chip shot field goal for KC. The Chiefs also had the advantage of playing "4 down" plays on their drive, as they knew they at least had to score a field goal - if they had gotten the ball first, you possibly consider punting on 4th down outside FG range.

The only possibly advantage I see in getting the ball first is if both teams score equal points on their initial drives, then you get the ball back with the game then being in sudden death. Still, I can't see how the advantages of knowing what you need to tie/win the game on your initial possession isn't more of an advantage.

Personally, I would defer and if you give up a TD on the opposing team's first possession, you now know you have 4 downs each play to get the first and score a TD and then I'd take my chances with a 2 point conversion, which still favors the offense.

Am I missing something here? Is this being treated as a controversial decision?
It isn’t cut and dry like college football because if you get the ball third if scores match it is sudden death and then it’s a massive advantage. Also, teams have to drive the field unlike college football so the defense has more of a chance.

Of course had the 49ers scored a TD on the opening drive the Chiefs said they would have gone for 2.

My guess it is a 51-49 type decision vs how it works in college.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I mean it's a label that can easily be removed, lol. And Purdy didn't lose him this game and neither did Matt Ryan in the 28-3 SB. You could argue he got sold by Jimmy G in the one in Miami but 2/3 he had leads against GOAT QB's. His fault
Players need to execute. Why do top players make so much more money than top coaches?

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
It isn’t cut and dry like college football because if you get the ball third if scores match it is sudden death and then it’s a massive advantage. Also, teams have to drive the field unlike college football so the defense has more of a chance.

Of course had the 49ers scored a TD on the opening drive the Chiefs said they would have gone for 2.

My guess it is a 51-49 type decision vs how it works in college.

i want to know if niners scored on opening td do they go for 1 or 2. you gotta figure if they just take the 7 theres noway mahomes isn't getting a shot with a 2pt to win it. now those are all questions you have to ask yourself when you choose to go first.

do i punt?
do i settle for a fg?
do i go for 2?

either way fantastic rule change its a shame they didnt think it up sooner. how many great playoff overtime games we were robbed of

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
SF had done a good job in the game up to that point defensively. It wasn’t unreasonable to choose either approach in my view. Again I don’t really disagree with you so much as I think the sports media are fulll of it when they run with a narrative that they will reverse course on when that will generate clicks.
Yeah, the narratives are all over the place with this - mostly informed solely by the outcome.

Getting the ball second does give you an informational advantage. It's a pretty bad look if SF didn't actually know the rules. I would have thought the justification for getting possession first was that SF's defense was just on the field at the end of the regular time and they didn't want to roll a tired, injured group immediately back out.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
Yeah, the narratives are all over the place with this - mostly informed solely by the outcome.

Getting the ball second does give you an informational advantage. It's a pretty bad look if SF didn't actually know the rules. I would have thought the justification for getting possession first was that SF's defense was just on the field at the end of the regular time and they didn't want to roll a tired, injured group immediately back out.
The attrition in the game was surprising. SF lost the linebacker early but also lost a safety and had both Samuel and Kittle playing with various injuries. Didn't they also lose a guard during the game?

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
i want to know if niners scored on opening td do they go for 1 or 2. you gotta figure if they just take the 7 theres noway mahomes isn't getting a shot with a 2pt to win it. now those are all questions you have to ask yourself when you choose to go first.

do i punt?
do i settle for a fg?
do i go for 2?

either way fantastic rule change its a shame they didnt think it up sooner. how many great playoff overtime games we were robbed of
Much like college, you kick the he extra point if you get the ball first and score a TD. Make the other team have to execute an extra play or kick to tie and then have the extra possession advantage.

Now if you get the ball second and score an answer team you go for two for the win/lose result.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
The attrition in the game was surprising. SF lost the linebacker early but also lost a safety and had both Samuel and Kittle playing with various injuries. Didn't they also lose a guard during the game?

I feel bad for the guy who blew out his Achilles from being excited to run onto the field. That has to be the most embarrassing and pitiable way to get injured in a big game.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Yeah I remember they lost someone else off the defense near the end of regulation as well.

Mahomes is that guy, but the Chiefs really needed an incredibly fortunate (for them) series of events to win the SB. Obviously the punt that deflects off a leg turned the game, but then the tipped/missed extra point, tons of in-game injuries for SF...

My3Sons

Sponsor
Yeah I remember they lost someone else off the defense near the end of regulation as well.

Mahomes is that guy, but the Chiefs really needed an incredibly fortunate (for them) series of events to win the SB. Obviously the punt that deflects off a leg turned the game, but then the tipped/missed extra point, tons of in-game injuries for SF...

To be fair number 10 on KC fumbled on the SF 7 in the second quarter. If he just hangs onto the ball instead of being sloppy who knows how it unfolds. I’m just glad it was an exciting game that kept my attention.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Mahomes is going to be up there with Brady when it is all said and done.

Just unreal what he is able to year in and year out and to think this was one of his down years

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
There's no need to downplay the Chiefs and their accomplishments, but I just want to point out that there were 7 fumbles in this game and the Chiefs recovered 6 of them. Not all fumbles are created equal, but between that and the missed PAT the Chiefs certainly got a lot of breaks.

Not that it matters, no one in the AFC is winning a title any time soon.

My3Sons

Sponsor
There's no need to downplay the Chiefs and their accomplishments, but I just want to point out that there were 7 fumbles in this game and the Chiefs recovered 6 of them. Not all fumbles are created equal, but between that and the missed PAT the Chiefs certainly got a lot of breaks.

Unless the Chiefs win again next season?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
There is one big advantage to receiving first and it's whether you can go down and score a TD.

Then you force the team going second to need a TD back and either risk a two point conversion or risk you having a second possession where a FG wins the game.

Problem is they settled for a FG instead of going for it on 4th and 4 deep in the red zone.

Though even with a gassed D, I would rather try to hold Mahomes to a FG when it's a normal 3 down situation when the game isn't on the line vs a situation where he is required to go 4 downs and can win the game.

And thats a thought I had the moment they explained the rules and flipped the coin.

Dude is far too clutch to let him have the ball last.

And I think the proper strategy for these rules is to play to win the game before sudden death starts. You don't play to hold for a second possession.

Reactions: Billdo

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Call me crazy but I actually think a healthy Rodgers + same level of Jets defense could beat them next year especially if the Jets host them in a playoff game. The more realistic option is Cincy dethroning the Chiefs in the AFC. Darkhorse would be Chargers/Jets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad