NFL Draft: 2023 NFL draft discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
TE is deep, but big gap between round 3 pick to round 5 with the added comp picks in rounds 3 and 4. So, you are waiting 70 spots in the draft. You have players at RB with Swift and the free agent Montgomery. I think you wait til day 3 for a RB. TE, probably better to not wait past round 3 for that.
That could very well be the case but they're pretty high on both Brock Wright and James Mitchell so it's not guaranteed to happen. If Bijan is available at 18 it's quite possible they pick him.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
For the Raiders at 7, it's anyone's guess what they can take.

They can go linebacker, defensive back, maybe offensive linemen or QB IF any of the good ones are available. I have a feeling they will draft a Tight End later on in the rounds as well.

Reactions: Gecklund

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I only saw Richardson play a few times but he was very unimpressive. The game vs Florida State he started out great going 5/7 3TDs and then he barely completed a pass the rest of the game. I think it'll pretty much take a miracle for him to be a good starter. Not really a Will Levis fan either but I'd say he has a better chance of becoming a solid starter than Richardson. Hooker was a lot better than both last year but at 25 may have hit his peak already. To me, CJ Stroud is hands down the best QB prospect in this draft and I can't believe Carolina would consider taking anyone else at #1 other than maybe Young. His size is pretty concerning though.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For the Raiders at 7, it's anyone's guess what they can take.

They can go linebacker, defensive back, maybe offensive linemen or QB IF any of the good ones are available. I have a feeling they will draft a Tight End later on in the rounds as well.
No LB is rated that high. Narrowing it to CB, DL, or OT to go opposite Miller. TE with a rd 3 pick. If they could trade back I think they’d like to do that.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Richardson's accuracy would concern me a lot, I know Josh Allen had similar concerns as well and he overcame them, but I don't know how confident I would be in it happening again. Inaccurate college guys usually continue to be inaccurate pros

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I only saw Richardson play a few times but he was very unimpressive. The game vs Florida State he started out great going 5/7 3TDs and then he barely completed a pass the rest of the game. I think it'll pretty much take a miracle for him to be a good starter. Not really a Will Levis fan either but I'd say he has a better chance of becoming a solid starter than Richardson. Hooker was a lot better than both last year but at 25 may have hit his peak already. To me, CJ Stroud is hands down the best QB prospect in this draft and I can't believe Carolina would consider taking anyone else at #1 other than maybe Young. His size is pretty concerning though.
Agreed. If I am Carolina I'm taking Stroud.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Don't be fooled by the measurables.

He's terrible, and I'm not just saying that because I definitely do want the entire University of Florida to be literally eaten by a black hole, I'm saying that because it's true.

NFL teams do this all the time, they think they can take any guy with the tools and mold him into a pro player. This guy makes draft day Josh Allen look like draft day Andrew Luck in terms of NFL readiness out of college by comparison.

I'm no one. I'm the third worst poster on this forum besides ChrisK and that guy that wants to realign your f***ing peewee league for some reason. But man...I cannot imagine Richardson being worth a 1st round pick. I really can't.

Bro, I've had to watch and root for Kirk Cousins for the last 5 years. Do you know what that's like? How boring that is knowing it's going to end the same way every time? It's brutal.

Let me have my fun watching Richardson run around with his 4.3 speed and throw bombs to JJ with the hope that O'Connell can coach him up.

• Haha

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Richardson's accuracy would concern me a lot, I know Josh Allen had similar concerns as well and he overcame them, but I don't know how confident I would be in it happening again. Inaccurate college guys usually continue to be inaccurate pros
Even at that, Allen is still a gunslinger type. Allen also played more than one year at Wyoming, and needed that rookie year on the field.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Bro, I've had to watch and root for Kirk Cousins for the last 5 years. Do you know what that's like? How boring that is knowing it's going to end the same way every time? It's brutal.

Let me have my fun watching Richardson run around with his 4.3 speed and throw bombs to JJ with the hope that O'Connell can coach him up.
Lmao fair enough.

Reactions: Avs_19

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
No LB is rated that high. Narrowing it to CB, DL, or OT to go opposite Miller. TE with a rd 3 pick. If they could trade back I think they’d like to do that.

Raiders have been lacking in defensive back for years, so going one of the top end talents should be a good choice. Their last good defensive back was what....Nnamdi Asomugha?! Its been way too long with draft busts like DJ Hayden and Gareon Conley, both were trash and both did nothing.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Raiders have been lacking in defensive back for years, so going one of the top end talents should be a good choice. Their last good defensive back was what....Nnamdi Asomugha?! Its been way too long with draft busts like DJ Hayden and Gareon Conley, both were trash and both did nothing.
Just hope they don’t reach for a need. Gruden picks were all a year off. Could have taken Wirfs the year prior to Leatherwood. Could have taken CB Newsome instead of Leatherwood and thus not Arnette the prior year. Could have gotten a WR with the Arnette pick. Could have been Wirfs, Ruggs,and Newsome over Ruggs, Arnette and Leatherwood.

Raider S just need to pick the best player as they have multiple holes to fill.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Just hope they don’t reach for a need. Gruden picks were all a year off. Could have taken Wirfs the year prior to Leatherwood. Could have taken CB Newsome instead of Leatherwood and thus not Arnette the prior year. Could have gotten a WR with the Arnette pick. Could have been Wirfs, Ruggs,and Newsome over Ruggs, Arnette and Leatherwood.

Raider S just need to pick the best player as they have multiple holes to fill.

The Gruden/Mayock era produced what, 4 NFL pro bowlers from their drafting.
Miller, Jacobs, Renfrew and Crosby were the lone bright ones.
I hope we pick the best player this time around

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Gruden/Mayock era produced what, 4 NFL pro bowlers from their drafting.
Miller, Jacobs, Renfrew and Crosby were the lone bright ones.
I hope we pick the best player this time around
They got in trouble always by targeting a need despite the overall ranking. Have to play to the strengths of the draft early as those are your expected starters.

Think CB probably the best position in terms of talent available at 7. This years Ot not as highly regarded as Neal, cross or the Carolina kid last year.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
They got in trouble always by targeting a need despite the overall ranking. Have to play to the strengths of the draft early as those are your expected starters.

Think CB probably the best position in terms of talent available at 7. This years Ot not as highly regarded as Neal, cross or the Carolina kid last year.

Leatherwood - trash
Ruggs - wasted talent
Ferrell - waste of a pick
Arnette - terrible
Abram - trash

The Leatherwood pick was just wow, he was awful and no matter where you put him on the offensive line he was getting beat up.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Leatherwood - trash
Ruggs - wasted talent
Ferrell - waste of a pick
Arnette - terrible
Abram - trash

The Leatherwood pick was just wow, he was awful and no matter where you put him on the offensive line he was getting beat up.
They took him ahead of Darrisaw who was on the board. Think cause leatherwood was a roadgrater in the run game. Gruden, it’s a passing league now. Protect the QB with the better pass protector.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
They took him ahead of Darrisaw who was on the board. Think cause leatherwood was a roadgrater in the run game. Gruden, it’s a passing league now. Protect the QB with the better pass protector.

Leatherwood was TERRIBLE in run blocking, he was even worse in pass blocking.
Josh Jacobs had a career year in 2022, we drafted some good offensive linemen that made up Leatherwood's terrible play.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
They have two 2nd round picks but no 4th rounder. Why do you want them to go OT in the first round?
Like to see them go that route so Tennessee is forced to trade out of the 11th pick and get more picks! I know that they took Penai Sewell a few years ago but know very little about the rest of the O-Line...sorry

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
For me as a Panthers fan, I rate the QBs as

Young
Stroud
Richardson
Hooker
Levis

As someone who's the kid of Kentucky grads and follows UK sports closely, I am literally perplexed by the hype Levis has. He's literally Kyle Boller 2.0 with slightly better accuracy. Whoever drafts him will be massively disappointed.

Richardson looked bad a lot last season and could have used another year in college, preferably away the dumpster Billy Napier is currently curating but he's probably the closest prospect I've seen to Cam Newton in respect to tools.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Like to see them go that route so Tennessee is forced to trade out of the 11th pick and get more picks! I know that they took Penai Sewell a few years ago but know very little about the rest of the O-Line...sorry
Jonah Jackson is a very good LG. Has made a pro bowl while on his rookie deal. Going into year 4. Sewell has been at RT because they have former first rounder Decker at LT. C is Ragnow another former first rounder. They have a good enough OL that it should t be a priority. At least not at pick 6. Maybe at 18 if they think that’s the best option. But long term I think at 18 it’s a CB.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I seriously don't get the hype around Richardson. He hasn't shown the ability to actually play the quarterback position in college, let alone the NFL. If you are obsessed with his athletic ability and think he can just be coached up "because Jake Allen did it", why not just draft (to pull a name out of a hat) Bryce Ford-Wheaton in the 4th round and convert him to QB to see if he can be coached up "because Jake Allen did it", instead of taking Richardson top-10

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
There is so much hype before the draft that teams now make stupid top 3 picks like Lance and Wilson which I knew were stupid at the time of the draft.

That being said Stroud will go top 6 because he's one of the top 6 players and GMs can't afford to miss out on him and keep their jobs. Maybe the Texans, Colts, or Lions will take him.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I seriously don't get the hype around Richardson. He hasn't shown the ability to actually play the quarterback position in college, let alone the NFL. If you are obsessed with his athletic ability and think he can just be coached up "because Jake Allen did it", why not just draft (to pull a name out of a hat) Bryce Ford-Wheaton in the 4th round and convert him to QB to see if he can be coached up "because Jake Allen did it", instead of taking Richardson top-10
If Richardson goes to 10, that’s what like over $20 mill guaranteed. If he falls into the 20’s that is closest to $12 mill or so. I get the life changing money of a top 10 pick.

But for a long term prognosis, he was better off staying in college.

Haskins, Wilson, Trubisky, Lance were 1 year starters. And teams have shown in recent years with Rosen, Darnold, that they are not afraid to move off their QB before they have to decide on the 5th year option. So, if you sit for upwards of 2 years you are banking a lot that the HC and GM duo will still be there when it’s your turn to get under center and you’d have to perform like a guy going into year 3, not like a rookie with the time they invested in you.

Reactions: Peat

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If AR didn't love the coaching at Florida, he should have gone into the transfer portal and started somewhere else to get his reps in. I don't get how sitting is going to help someone who is so raw. I get the short term financial gain, if he goes early. But, long term, probably doesn't maximize his earning potential. Trubisky did enough in Chicago to get into that gap QB position, getting $29 mill in Chicago, $2.5 mill in Buffalo and $6.3 mill in Pitt so far. $38 mill after 6 seasons. He is due $8 mill in base salary but is only a $2.6 mill dead cap charge if he gets cut before the season.

He'll probably float around the NFL as a backup in the $3-5 mill per range for the next 3-5 seasons. Should get to over $50 mill in career earnings. So, it is vital that you start a lot of games on your rookie contract to get that experience in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad