NFL Draft: 2023 NFL draft discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Do we really not have a thread for this?

Bears pick 1st. Do they trade down with a QB needy team? Or take a QB themselves and trade Fields? Or take a non-QB like Will Anderson?

Texans pick 2nd after the surreal events of today.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I would prefer trade down (Multiple times possibly) to get as many picks as possible

This team needs a lot of young talent as part of rebuild one guy isn't going to turn this around

Seek out a haul from QB needy team and then maybe another haul from another QB needy team depending on how far initial trade down was

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Draft season just got a whole lot more interesting thanks to the Texans.

No idea what the Bears will do. All I know is that as a fan of a rival team, I hope they believe Fields is the guy and pass on Young as a result, even if it means them getting say another additional two 1st round picks. I'm very much okay with Fields being a starting QB in the division based on what I've seen from him so far.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

No idea what the Bears will do. All I know is that as a fan of a rival team, I hope they believe Fields is the guy and pass on Young as a result, even if it means them getting say another additional two 1st round picks. I'm very much okay with Fields being a starting QB in the division based on what I've seen from him so far.
I’m not sure how nfl teams will feel about Young or Stroud. Remember those draft analysts with their mocks having Willis in round 1?

I don’t know if any of Indy, Car, Atl, Ten or others feel that they want to do a SF/Mia deal of 2 additional first rounders along with a flip for either guy.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Mark Davis is the kind of guy who will trade a pick haul for a QB. If they don't get Brady I believe strongly that this is on the agenda, rightly or wrongly.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Mark Davis is the kind of guy who will trade a pick haul for a QB. If they don't get Brady I believe strongly that this is on the agenda, rightly or wrongly.
I do not think that Josh would put his HC future into the hands of a rookie next season. And the last thing an owner should do is draft a QB high and not be supportive of his HC over the first 2-3 years of that young QB’s development. It really makes no sense to do that imo.

It’s such a pain to find a HC to fit with an existing QB. We’ve heard all of the talk before on other HC searches for teams like Chicago for Fields, Chargers for Herbert, Dolphins for Tua, etc. only makes sense if they fire Josh and the new HC wants one of these kids.

If you draft a kid that high, you need to be all in on him.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Praying Bijan goes to anyone except the Eagles. I'm hoping QJ or JSN falls to the cowboys. need IDL, CB2 and WR2.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Praying Bijan goes to anyone except the Eagles. I'm hoping QJ or JSN falls to the cowboys. need IDL, CB2 and WR2.
Does Bijan catch the ball like CMC or Bell or Kamara? If not I don’t see a team taking him before the teens. I think there is maybe 1 RB in round 1 over the last several years. And they all basically go from like 20 onwards.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021

I saw that Stroud finished on top in some ranking or another. Do you solidly have Young ahead?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I saw that Stroud finished on top in some ranking or another. Do you solidly have Young ahead?
Young, his main issue and there are certainly going to be HC and teams who worry about a smaller QB. Russ after almost a decade complained about sacks. Kyler after 4 years is trying to avoid contact. Don’t hear guys that are 6’2 and a more complaining about hits.

Does Young’s size limit the offense in terms of attacking the middle of the field? I don’t know. If the HC is an O guy he may not wish to sacrifice that part of his scheme.

Up to each team to decide what they like. It’s clearly not a clear cut choice at QB like Luck or Lawrence.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Young, his main issue and there are certainly going to be HC and teams who worry about a smaller QB. Russ after almost a decade complained about sacks. Kyler after 4 years is trying to avoid contact. Don’t hear guys that are 6’2 and a more complaining about hits.

Does Young’s size limit the offense in terms of attacking the middle of the field? I don’t know. If the HC is an O guy he may not wish to sacrifice that part of his scheme.

Up to each team to decide what they like. It’s clearly not a clear cut choice at QB like Luck or Lawrence.
I saw this concern today over Tagovailoa while seeking out his status.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I believe the top 10 is set but tankathon seems to think 8-9-10 is still influx as the SOS is close and the DET/GB game can change that.

1. CHI
2. HOU
3. ARZ
4. IND
5. SEA (From DEN)
6. DET (From LAR)
7. LV
8. ATL
9. CAR
10. PHI (From NO)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I believe the top 10 is set but tankathon seems to think 8-9-10 is still influx as the SOS is close and the DET/GB game can change that.

1. CHI
2. HOU
3. ARZ
4. IND
5. SEA (From DEN)
6. DET (From LAR)
7. LV
8. ATL
9. CAR
10. PHI (From NO)
Hou and Ind most likely taking qb. So up to weather teams like Sea, Det, Car, ATL, LV opt to move up. Think Sea and Det think they can compete for PO with their guy and will use their picks on D. Plus not sure how great an upgrade of any either too QB will actually be.

How much do the other clubs want to risk on this WB class. Seems like the Williams and Maye class next draft is going to be one you’d want to trade up for.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Even if the QBs aren't so hot this year the Bears have all the leverage given QB-needy Houston sits at #2 and Indy at #4 will also be looking at QB. That's not even including teams like LV and Carolina with huge needs at the position that might be interested in moving up.

If the Bears believe in Fields and they play their cards right, this could be the start of something special.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Chicago has to at least entertain the possibility of taking a QB. The main thing we know about Fields is that he can run. Whether that be by design or just for his life.

If not, they trade down or take the best non-QB on their board.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I just can’t imagine knowing how the eagles operate that they take a running back round 1. More likely they take a pass rusher.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
I’ve been debating this. I think it’ll be a hell of a price to move up to 1 from 9, but I think I would want Carolina to do it depending on the price.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I just can’t imagine knowing how the eagles operate that they take a running back round 1. More likely they take a pass rusher.
I don't care what organization it is, taking a RB in round 1 is a fool's errand.

Reactions: The Note

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Even if the QBs aren't so hot this year the Bears have all the leverage given QB-needy Houston sits at #2 and Indy at #4 will also be looking at QB. That's not even including teams like LV and Carolina with huge needs at the position that might be interested in moving up.

If the Bears believe in Fields and they play their cards right, this could be the start of something special.
That’s going to come down to teams evaluation of the QBs. Are they good enough to be worth the extra picks?

Going to be a major WB carousel in the off season. So come the draft some QB questions will be settled.

Next years top QBs are more highly regarded compared to this crop last year. But, what this nfl season has shown is that anyone can fall next season. AZ, Rams, Denver, Indy, all had non rookie QBs going in and finished in the bottom 6. Knew chi and Hou were going to be bad.

Those teams jumped the likes of Car, Atl, sea, NYG that were expected to be bad.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Green Bay needs to
A - Move on from Rodgers by any means possible
B - Target either pass rush, O line (Bakhtiari cut??) or a weapon up front (Johnson, Addison, Smith-Njigba or Mayer)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Rodgers is only leaving Green Bay if he wants to. O-Line never hurts but they still need receivers and probably a tight end.

Teams drafting RB’s early should only do so if they have the QB, not because you’re building an offense around him. Or if they have extra early picks.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
I’ve been debating this. I think it’ll be a hell of a price to move up to 1 from 9, but I think I would want Carolina to do it depending on the price.
I don’t see Chicago trading down that far. I definitely think the Colts are likely to trade up for a QB. Bears can still get one of Carter or Anderson jr at 4th overall

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
A move from 9 to 1 costs at least a 1st and 2nd. At least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad