NFL Draft: 2023 NFL draft discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Feelings about QBs notwithstanding, two things I'm interested in tomorrow are: how high Bijan goes and when/if a run on WRs happens. Seems like depending on who you listen to the league is lower on this WR class and is happy to wait on guys in the 2nd round or there will be a run in the back half of the first. This whole draft just seems odd this year.

I live about 10 minutes from Union Station where all the hoopla will be taking place so I plan on tooling around down there before everything gets started, but have little desire to stay for the whole first round.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Jonah Jackson is a very good LG. Has made a pro bowl while on his rookie deal. Going into year 4. Sewell has been at RT because they have former first rounder Decker at LT. C is Ragnow another former first rounder. They have a good enough OL that it should t be a priority. At least not at pick 6. Maybe at 18 if they think that’s the best option. But long term I think at 18 it’s a CB.
Recently have made myself familiar with the Lions O-Line. The names pop out which must mean this is one of the strengths of this team. Perhaps the Lions take a Guard later in the draft(5th round) or convert a college Tackle to Guard. Tomorrow's draft will be interesting and I will be following the fortunes of many teams like my Fav the Titans, and Lions...as well as the Chargers,Rams,Falcons! Bryce Young definitely will go to the Panthers that's a given and with him gone the Texans take Will Anderson...after that I expect a bunch of trades so teams try to get that coveted QB who may not be a Franchise type! Guess we will wait and see. Like to see the Lions get another OLB to go with rising Star Hutchinson

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Feelings about QBs notwithstanding, two things I'm interested in tomorrow are: how high Bijan goes and when/if a run on WRs happens. Seems like depending on who you listen to the league is lower on this WR class and is happy to wait on guys in the 2nd round or there will be a run in the back half of the first. This whole draft just seems odd this year.

I live about 10 minutes from Union Station where all the hoopla will be taking place so I plan on tooling around down there before everything gets started, but have little desire to stay for the whole first round.
Bijan, probably goes to a team that legitimately is a PO team over the next few years to maximize the benefit. No wasted carries on a non-playoff team. He can go in the early teens to late 20's.

WR, not as high end a crop as last year. Johnston from TCU is the most different in terms of the build of the top guys. JSN, Flowers, Addison are no where as thick or big. Most are #2 WR vs the #1 at the top of last year's draft.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011

Atlanta for Bijan

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Atlanta for Bijan
If you don’t have a QB I think you waste the great years of a RB. Bijan is a great add for a chargers, Bills, type of team as he would add a great dimension to their offence . Wasted in Atlanta until they know what they have at QB.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Atlanta for Bijan
That seems to be gaining a some traction. I don't think an RB - regardless of how good - should go at 8, but Atlanta has already taken a TE earlier than most think you should. It'll be interesting to see how teams balance the value of an RB in the first round against when Bijan simply becomes the BPA and a team takes him. I wouldn't be stunned if the Lions took him with their second pick, either.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That seems to be gaining a some traction. I don't think an RB - regardless of how good - should go at 8, but Atlanta has already taken a TE earlier than most think you should. It'll be interesting to see how teams balance the value of an RB in the first round against when Bijan simply becomes the BPA and a team takes him. I wouldn't be stunned if the Lions took him with their second pick, either.
Bijan is a good receiver as well. Not quite CMC or Bell, but better than most RBs. That would elevate him over a guy who is more just a RB. The backs who have gotten paid were the ones who could do both.

It comes down to true value that the RB brings. It has to be really high, much harder to replace than just a runner like a Jacobs for LV for example. But, you should be pairing that elite RB with a good QB. That allows you to maximize the shorter lifespan of the RB.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
With the talk of Titans going QB I wont be shocked to see them reach on Hooker in 1st round
Tanny is a $36 mill cap hit this year. If he is cut it's $18.8 mill dead cap, so $17 mill savings to cut him. Willis they have soured on.

But, they also need a LT. And at 11, there is expected to be LT available. Or they can go CB should there be a run on LT.

Does Ten believe in their offensive staff, since Vrabel is a defensive HC, to coach up a QB they draft while that kid sits in 2023 and be ready for 2024?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sounds like Hendon Hooker’s doctors believe he will be cleared by week 1. He posted a video of himself working out on the field.

I would be okay with the Vikings trading upwards of three 1st round picks to go up for Richardson.

@GKJ @TheGreenTBer
I’d sooner do it for him than Trey Lance. But I would also be compelled to jump off the roof of my house if I were a Vikings fan.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sounds like Hendon Hooker’s doctors believe he will be cleared by week 1. He posted a video of himself working out on the field.

I’d sooner do it for him than Trey Lance. But I would also be compelled to jump off the roof of my house if I were a Vikings fan.
That's a best case scenario. And that would also be without reps at Training camp or pre-season games without any contact. I would not rush him back. I do believe one of Richardson or Levis falls out of the top 10. Possibly both if Houston do seriously pass on Stroud at 2.
With Hooker, it then becomes whether any of TB, SEA, Min, Bal or whomever else from 19 onwards likes Hooker to take him and which ones want to move up to secure him rather than risk having him snatched up ahead of them.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I would be okay with the Vikings trading upwards of three 1st round picks to go up for Richardson.

@GKJ @TheGreenTBer
I’m with you. I love Richardson. You need an alien at QB, but my team took the gamble and it paid off so it’s easy for me to say that now.
Bijan is a good receiver as well. Not quite CMC or Bell, but better than most RBs. That would elevate him over a guy who is more just a RB. The backs who have gotten paid were the ones who could do both.

It comes down to true value that the RB brings. It has to be really high, much harder to replace than just a runner like a Jacobs for LV for example. But, you should be pairing that elite RB with a good QB. That allows you to maximize the shorter lifespan of the RB.
The value part is the whole thing. I have little doubt Bijan is probably a top 5 player on most teams boards. But, you’re still better off taking a player at a premium position - even if they merely turn out to be a good player and taking a lesser RB in the 4th - than drafting the no doubt RB with a first and trying to find guys at premium positions later. It’s tough for RBs but it’s just the reality of the NFL right now.

Reactions: Avs_19

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Leatherwood - trash
Ruggs - wasted talent
Ferrell - waste of a pick
Arnette - terrible
Abram - trash

The Leatherwood pick was just wow, he was awful and no matter where you put him on the offensive line he was getting beat up.
I personally hope that if LV goes OL at 7, that they don’t go Skrononski. Just due to arm length he’s probably a better guard than OT, which kind of is what happened with Learherwood and in that he couldn’t cut it as a OT nor could Gallery back in the day.

To me, if you draft an OT you better have that guy play OT opposite Miller. And be a good OT. Not have him slide inside to OG, not at 7OA.

I think it’s DL and CB with the top 2 picks then OL and TE in round 3. Have multiple picks on day 3, as they have 11 in total I believe. If they need to move up into rd 3, I’m more than fine dealing a 4 and 5 to do that. Only so many day 3 guys will make a nfl roster.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So if Richardson happens to be there at #9 you would be happy to send the Bears multiple future 1st round picks for him?

Now that is something I would love to see

The Bears pick is lower so at most I think that would take an additional 1st. So the 23rd pick this year and a 1st next year. That would actually be excess value for the Bears according all of the trade value charts.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon

@GKJ @TheGreenTBer

See I want nothing to do with Richardson. He wasn't good in college. Those "athletic freaks" rarely pan out. If he's there at 23 I'd take a shot but I'm not moving up to the top 10. Same goes for Levis.

Go all in and move up to #2 for Stroud if that's the case, if in fact the Texans really don't like him.

I want nothing to do with Hendon Hooker before round 3. That would be a colossal mistake. And would have me questioning Kwesi already, especially after last years awful trade down and then none of the picks contributing. I know Cine and Booth got hurt but Cine couldn't even beat out Cam Bynum in camp. And Booth looked lost in the few snaps he got.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Again, if you're willing to do something insane and give up multiple 1st round picks to the bears for Richardson, why not give up multiple first round picks and get Fields from them? But why not get an athletic freak who's just bad at quarterback at the NFL level, not bad at quarterback at the high school level. (This was an idea I originally had when they were at #1 and made more sense at the time, but it still applies)

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Again, if you're willing to do something insane and give up multiple 1st round picks to the bears for Richardson, why not give up multiple first round picks and get Fields from them? But why not get an athletic freak who's just bad at quarterback at the NFL level, not bad at quarterback at the high school level. (This was an idea I originally had when they were at #1 and made more sense at the time, but it still applies)

For that matter just send the multiple firsts to the Ravens for Lamar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad