2023 NCAA Division I Men's Hockey National Tournament Thread

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
It continues to aggravate me that the NCAA hockey organization cannot deconflict the scheduling of the annual men's hockey tournament from the NCAA basketball tourney, so hockey doesn't have a 2-week break between the Regionals & the Semis/Final championship game. Am I missing one or more positive factors driving this calendar dance?

Reactions: swoopster

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I think it might be more a factor that college hockey isn’t an absolute guaranteed draw like college basketball is, so you need a bit of extra time to get the ducks lined up travel-wise and to guarantee that there isn’t a situation where say a Michigan is in both a Final Four and a Frozen Four on the same weekend. Good luck getting hordes of Michigan fans traveling down to Tampa while their basketball team is playing in a championship simultaneously, for instance.

Like it or not, hockey has to back seat it a little for the major universities. Oh, and I’m sure ESPN doesn’t want to have the Frozen Four to be mere counter-programming to the Final Four, too.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I think it might be more a factor that college hockey isn’t an absolute guaranteed draw like college basketball is, so you need a bit of extra time to get the ducks lined up travel-wise and to guarantee that there isn’t a situation where say a Michigan is in both a Final Four and a Frozen Four on the same weekend. Good luck getting hordes of Michigan fans traveling down to Tampa while their basketball team is playing in a championship simultaneously, for instance.

Like it or not, hockey has to back seat it a little for the major universities. Oh, and I’m sure ESPN doesn’t want to have the Frozen Four to be mere counter-programming to the Final Four, too.
Agree 100%. Hockey is a regional draw whereas B-Ball commands a national audience.

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
My solution (naive though it may be) would be to shift the hockey conference then national tournament periods so men's hockey wraps up before the basketball final rounds. But I suppose that would require cooperative scheduling among the hockey conferences, which appears to have been a bridge too far already for at least the ECACs and NCHCs of the world.

Reactions: swoopster

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
So while watching March Madness I often hear about players who have transferred from other Universities. I don't hear about this in NCAA Hockey. Are the rules different between hockey and basketball?

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
So while watching March Madness I often hear about players who have transferred from other Universities. I don't hear about this in NCAA Hockey. Are the rules different between hockey and basketball?
Happens quite a bit, especially since the pandemic when the NCAA committee introduced a 5th-year eligibility rule but maintained the 4-year limit for a player at one school. The NCAA "player portal" process controls the transfer of hockey student-athletes. College Hockey News maintains a list of moves that include transfers, as do several other college hockey web pages/sources.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Happens quite a bit, especially since the pandemic when the NCAA committee introduced a 5th-year eligibility rule but maintained the 4-year limit for a player at one school. The NCAA "player portal" process controls the transfer of hockey student-athletes. College Hockey News maintains a list of moves that include transfers, as do several other college hockey web pages/sources.
There was a guy with Penn who was on his 3rd team, 3rd Regional.

Reactions: JMCx4 and Rob

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
March 29, 2023

BU, Minnesota Will Renew Ancient Rivalry in Tampa
Memories From the '70s Still Linger For Some

by Tim Rappleye/CHN Reporter

Seventy-eight year old Jack Parker is a decade removed from coaching Boston University, but he remains involved in BU athletics in his role as Assistant to the Athletic Director.

Outside his well-appointed office is a large, framed photo of an NCAA game from the 1970s against Minnesota. The image is not one of the Terriers' three trophy-hoists from that decade, but one of a bench-clearing brawl from the national semifinals, a mad melee that nearly torpedoed the 1976 Championships in Denver.

This was one of seven NCAA Tournament clashes between these marquee programs, but clearly it was the most memorable. Parker, like many of his players, will take the debacle in Denver to his grave.

“The ’76 game with the big fight in Denver still sticks in my craw,” Parker said this week. “That was probably the best team I ever had that didn’t win the national championship.” ...

Read more & See the Photo at: BU, Minnesota Will Renew Ancient Rivalry in Tampa | CHN-Rappleye

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Frozen Four: Quinnipiac coach no stranger to Michigan’s ‘high-end’ talent

Ryan Zuke, mlive.com - Yesterday 11:03 AM (29 March 2023)

When Team USA faced off against Canada in a World Junior Championships semifinal Jan. 4, Quinnipiac head coach Rand Pecknold had a front-row seat watching some of Michigan hockey’s top players.

Pecknold was the coach for the U.S., which had five Wolverines players on the roster and lost to Canada and Michigan star freshman Adam Fantilli 6-2.

Now he’s tasked with devising a game plan for his Quinnipiac team to try and keep Michigan’s top-ranked offense in check in a national semifinal April 6 in Tampa, Florida. Pecknold knows it won’t be easy, especially against the Wolverines’ No. 1 line of Fantilli, the nation’s leading scorer, and Rutger McGroarty and Gavin Brindley, who both played for USA at the 2023 WJC.

"They’re not just going to be NHL players, they’re going to be high-end NHL players,” Pecknold said of Michigan’s all-freshmen line on a Frozen Four conference call Tuesday. “They make plays at pace. They can all skate and they think the game so well. A lot of times, they make something out of nothing.

“We got to defend them in layers. We are gonna get guys who are gonna get beat one-on-one from time to time, and then we got to have a second layer there, and sometimes we have a third layer there.” ...

Read more at: Frozen Four: Quinnipiac coach no stranger to Michigan’s ‘high-end’ talent | MLive

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad