Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Ukraine

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • [Other]

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

Deadsy

May 8, 2021
And Mikko is out of the Worlds as Canada drops Finland with a score of 4-1. Final stats for Mikko (as per IIHF):
8 games, 0 goals, 9 assists, 4 penalty minutes, -1, 20 shots on goal

He was the only forward, who played all games, without a goal on the team. He was also easily he best forward on the team, but I feel he was not properly utilized. He did what he could by creating chances for others and sometimes getting frustrated and trying to do it all by himself. I saw all the games and the line chemistry never really worked in my opinion. The line was Teemu Hartikainen-Sakari Manninen-Mikko and usually backed by Mikko Lehtonen-Atte Ohtamaa. All other guys are long time national team regulars, and used to a certain style of play used by the coach. Especially Lehkonen infuriated me a lot. Rantanen was open so many times on powerplay and he shoots himself at the first blocker etc. The line also didn't play fast enough, quite typical of Europe based players. Probably should have played Rants with either Kakko or Kapanen the whole time and with a different center. Coach Jalonen only changed the line twice for a total of less than two periods, which was of no help.

In other news:
Germany beat Switzerland so Malgin is also out. Hunt is on Team Canada so there is still an Av in the mix.
Latvia sensationally dropped Sweden and the Americans dropped Czechia. Seems likely the final will be USA-Canada, unless Germany or Latvia can pull another upset.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Fine by me. Get some rest Mikko. Then have another good off season of training. We're gonna need you to have another strong season next year without Landy.

RECKLESS

Apr 23, 2019
And Mikko is out of the Worlds as Canada drops Finland with a score of 4-1. Final stats for Mikko (as per IIHF):
8 games, 0 goals, 9 assists, 4 penalty minutes, -1, 20 shots on goal

He was the only forward, who played all games, without a goal on the team. He was also easily he best forward on the team, but I feel he was not properly utilized. He did what he could by creating chances for others and sometimes getting frustrated and trying to do it all by himself. I saw all the games and the line chemistry never really worked in my opinion. The line was Teemu Hartikainen-Sakari Manninen-Mikko and usually backed by Mikko Lehtonen-Atte Ohtamaa. All other guys are long time national team regulars, and used to a certain style of play used by the coach. Especially Lehkonen infuriated me a lot. Rantanen was open so many times on powerplay and he shoots himself at the first blocker etc. The line also didn't play fast enough, quite typical of Europe based players. Probably should have played Rants with either Kakko or Kapanen the whole time and with a different center. Coach Jalonen only changed the line twice for a total of less than two periods, which was of no help.

In other news:
Germany beat Switzerland so Malgin is also out. Hunt is on Team Canada so there is still an Av in the mix.
Latvia sensationally dropped Sweden and the Americans dropped Czechia. Seems likely the final will be USA-Canada, unless Germany or Latvia can pull another upset.
Exactly this.

Jalonen is a good coach but why he didn't experiment with the lines basically at all all tournament, until the final period of the semi-final where they had mostly dominated the game despite being down two. Should have just grinded, the opportunities were there whole game long until he finally shook the lines just shot themselves in the foot.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Mediocre tournament by Rantanen. Easily the best player available in a year where many teams had bad rosters. Should have produced more, zero goals despite a bunch of chances.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Get ready for the USA-Canada final. Both with some of the all-time worst rosters and absolutely no fans, local or otherwise, care about either team. Great.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Just one year I would have loved to see an underdog in the finals. We all know that Finland or Sweden will win this thing next year, but just for one year and Latvia had to go out and blow it as they did.

Reactions: UncleRisto

Deadsy

May 8, 2021
Canada beat Latvia as expected, but it wasn't an easy match.
Germany upsets USA in overtime after tying late in game with the goalie pulled and goes to the gold medal game against Canada.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
This tournament gets worse every year. Serious lack of professional talent in every single game.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Congrats to Brad Hunt!

brad-hunt-2023-690.jpg

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Players aren't secretive about the fact they don't take this tournament seriously. It is a 2 week party and they get drunk basically every night.
The players don't take it serious because it isn't a best on best tournament. The best players in the world are still playing in the playoffs. If they held the tournament in July...then it could perhaps be different. But to be honest, with it happening every year, I would imagine it would still be basically an annual vacation/unwind party for the best players in the world. Gotta keep best on best a little less frequent. It makes them mean more because a player only gets so many kicks at the can.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Having played most of the sesason in the NHL, I hope he can afford his co-pay and get that tooth capped this summer. I'd advise him to take care of it before July 1 and the new fiscal year starts, that way any out-of-pocket expenses already accrued this year count towards his maximum out-of-pocket limit.
He won't fix that tooth until he retires.

• Love
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Hunt was looking like Ray Bourque out there with #77 and everything

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad