HF Habs: 2023 HF Habs Prospect final rankings

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Heineman, Farrell, Roy, Mesar, Beck, Rohrer, Kapanen, Kidney, Tuch...

Pelletier, Coronato, Honzek, Zary, Schwindt, Ronni, Suniev, Stromgren...

That's the two pools we are comparing +/- a few other depth considerations.

What I know of these two groups, I'd easily take ours. Much better depth & high-end ceiling for the top few in either group are relatively similar (frankly, Roy & Mesar may well have the highest pure ceilings of the bunch)

I don't think you get it. No NHL GM would take ours over the Flames. There are 2 ready NHL players at the top vs. 0. For all we know, none of the Habs players could hit, and none of them is over 50%. Pelletier and Coronato are 90%.

Before you tell me, "but look at the others" - you are trying to make a point that a bunch of 10% probability guys are better than their 10% probability guys, it doesn't make for a very strong argument. I agree we may have one more 30-40% guy than they have, but the prospect pool with 2 x 90% vs. 0 is the better one.

We're obviously set to pass them as Coronato and Pelletier will graduate. Next summer we'll probably be over them in ranking and hopefully, a few of our guys will progress and we'll grab a good forward at the draft.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I am not a fan of drawing lines with youth in the NHL vs youth outside of the NHL. The point of evaluating youth is projecting it forward and the "graduation" shouldn't blind us from that.

Our forward "pool" has more maturity with Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Slaf in the NHL.

Our D pool has some guys in the NHL and some guys coming. We all agree it's the strongest area.

I'm not worried about the goalies. We can't think that if we don't have a Price, we are screwed. That was in the past and we are more likely going to have to do the 3 year goalie recycle program. If our D ends up top 5 in the NHL which is very possible, the goalie won't be exposed. If our D was top 5 today, I'd have full confidence in Monty's progression and what he can do in the next 3 years. Problem is our team is not ready to compete for a cup so Monty's time with us will be transition years.

It's just grouping. It's like you are so caught up in defending the team that you oppose even the simple process of grouping.

The fact that a rebuilding team won't even have 1 rookie forward to integrate before Christmas is the reason we are highlighting this. Not that it's a huge issue long term, RHP and Ylonen arrived mid-year, but it's a reality Hughes had to deal with and it might have influenced the Newhook situation.

• Haha
Reactions: Miller Time

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's just grouping. It's like you are so caught up in defending the team that you oppose even the simple process of grouping.

The fact that a rebuilding team won't even have 1 rookie forward to integrate before Christmas is the reason we are highlighting this. Not that it's a huge issue long term, RHP and Ylonen arrived mid-year, but it's a reality Hughes had to deal with and it might have influenced the Newhook situation.

You can call it grouping if you wish. I stand firm on what I said. The main point here is both our youth in the NHL and outside of the NHL stand to bring us to top 10 in the NHL in the coming years. I have confidence we can be top 10 in 3-5 years but top 5? Not sure.

Defending the team? Or just calling it like I see it? I'm not caught up in anything other than your words of choice now :laugh:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I am not a fan of drawing lines with youth in the NHL vs youth outside of the NHL. The point of evaluating youth is projecting it forward and the "graduation" shouldn't blind us from that.

Our forward "pool" has more maturity with Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Slaf in the NHL.

Our D pool has some guys in the NHL and some guys coming. We all agree it's the strongest area.

I'm not worried about the goalies. We can't think that if we don't have a Price, we are screwed. That was in the past and we are more likely going to have to do the 3 year goalie recycle program. If our D ends up top 5 in the NHL which is very possible, the goalie won't be exposed. If our D was top 5 today, I'd have full confidence in Monty's progression and what he can do in the next 3 years. Problem is our team is not ready to compete for a cup so Monty's time with us will be transition years.

We're still caught with holes in the top6 and no confident hope to fix them internally mid-term. Right wing especially is a concern if we keep Caufield at LW.

I definitely wouldn't be comfortable going with Montembeault in the playoffs. We have to hope Dobes/Fowler/Volokhov/Miller will be better.

Defence is the only position I confidently believe we are fine long term.

Well, I guess C is fine with Suzuki, Dach being there and Beck incoming.

Reactions: SOLR

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
We're still caught with holes in the top6 and no confident hope to fix them internally mid-term. Right wing especially is a concern if we keep Caufield at LW.

I definitely wouldn't be comfortable going with Montembeault in the playoffs. We have to hope Dobes/Fowler/Volokhov/Miller will be better.

I don't feel good at center either until Dach proves he can stabilize his usage (and probably play a few 75+ games seasons) independently from his production. It will be challenging to be a good team in the playoffs if we can't count too much on these 2 centers being healthy at the same time. I don't think Beck is that much of a pretender top 6 center. It might be that it's safer for Dach to play that RW role so he stays on the ice, then we need a good 2nd line C.

RW, I agree fully and I think it's a bigger challenge than that. We need a RW who can enhance Suzuki and Caufield, and that's probably someone playing with some sandpaper. This is where I'm not 100% it's Dach if that is the path chosen for him. Or maybe it's a better center than Suzuki, and we move him to RW.

Dreaming of
Caufield - Celebrini - Suzuki
Slaf - Dach - Newhook
Beck - X trade for a middle 6 center who can play top 6- Roy

Reactions: Michelangelo

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I don't think you get it. No NHL GM would take ours over the Flames. There are 2 ready NHL players at the top vs. 0. For all we know, none of the Habs players could hit, and none of them is over 50%. Pelletier and Coronato are 90%.

Before you tell me, "but look at the others" - you are trying to make a point that a bunch of 10% probability guys are better than their 10% probability guys, it doesn't make for a very strong argument. I agree we may have one more 30-40% guy than they have, but the prospect pool with 2 x 90% vs. 0 is the better one.

We're obviously set to pass them as Coronato and Pelletier will graduate. Next summer we'll probably be over them in ranking and hopefully, a few of our guys will progress and we'll grab a good forward at the draft.
:lol:

You are right, didn't realize I was talking to a proxy for all NHL GMs lol

You mistake your opinion, and weak assessment, for fact. That much i "get".

Carry on.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
:lol:

You are right, didn't realize I was talking to a proxy for all NHL GMs lol

You mistake your opinion, and weak assessment, for fact. That much i "get".

Carry on.

And the insults begin. "weak assessment" that 2 NHL players now is better than 0. Ok, not sure what I can reply to this.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
You can call it grouping if you wish. I stand firm on what I said. The main point here is both our youth in the NHL and outside of the NHL stand to bring us to top 10 in the NHL in the coming years. I have confidence we can be top 10 in 3-5 years but top 5? Not sure.

Defending the team? Or just calling it like I see it? I'm not caught up in anything other than your words of choice now :laugh:
Top 10 in the NHL in 3-5 years... I mean, that's not much of a strong statement. I think so too, and this is why I'm pointing out that in the group of forwards not in the NHL, we need to draft more there so that in 3-5 years we are top 10....even if Suzuki/Caufield/Slaf miss a lot of games.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Fast forward to when Suzuki is 27/28 and Reinbacher is 21/22 and everyone else is in the middle of that. I think we will have less holes than you think today. Roy is a darn good prospect that stands to fill a top 6F spot IMO.

My point on Monty is once again... not today, in the future when the D is mature (3-5 years). If we had someone like Monty who is performing well as he is today and also trending well, I wouldn't complain too much about it. Of course we prefer a top 5 or top 10 NHL goalie but having a top 5 D in the NHL is more important IMO. We will see how the young guys coming perform because in 3-5 years, not sure Monty is the solution at that point. I think the best value you get from Monty is within the next 3-5 years. Not after.

Center depth looks good for sure but I'm not counting Dach as someone who plays center full time. For all we know, they go back to the Caufield/Suzuki/Dach line. I really did want to add Dubois but the cost was too high. We will see how Beck does because maybe he is good enough to play 2C and we can afford to stack up the 1st line. Would be good problems to have.

I agree we need to add more top 6 talent but we are not that far off if both Slaf and Roy reach their ceiling levels.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

You're creating a false narrative. I'm not defending, I'm calling it how I see it. I think you are looking at the short term and I'm looking at the 3-5 year term.

I pass on your narrative of "grouping and defending". Have a nice day

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
You're creating a false narrative. I'm not defending, I'm calling it how I see it. I think you are looking at the short term and I'm looking at the 3-5 year term.

I pass on your narrative of "grouping and defending". Have a nice day

And you can't look at the short term?

"I agree we need to add more top 6 talent but we are not that far off if both Slaf and Roy reach their ceiling levels."

What is not far, 3 years or 1 years?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Top 10 in the NHL in 3-5 years... I mean, that's not much of a strong statement. I think so too, and this is why I'm pointing out that in the group of forwards not in the NHL, we need to draft more there so that in 3-5 years we are top 10....even if Suzuki/Caufield/Slaf miss a lot of games.

Top 6 could be this... We are guessing but if all of these guys reach their ceiling, that's a dynamic top 6. It's just too hard today to consider how it could be. If we like the potential with the guys on D, why not like the top 6 shown below? I know why, we are projecting the guys on D better than guys like Slaf, Beck, and Roy. What happens to our D potential if Hutson and Reinbacher bust or disappoint... kind of like how some are hesitant to project Slaf, Beck, Roy?

Caufield / Suzuki / Dach
Slaf / Beck / Roy

I understand. It appears we need to do more work up front vs on D. Our pool on D is loaded with quantity/quality and our forwards are projected to be quantity but not quality?

I'm sure we draft more forwards in the coming drafts but I also expect us to dip into UFA or other trades in that 3-5 years. Right now, it's transition and evaluation progress with several forwards. Our needs could change and I've seen things change quickly time and time again.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And you can't look at the short term?

"I agree we need to add more top 6 talent but we are not that far off if both Slaf and Roy reach their ceiling levels."

What is not far, 3 years or 1 years?

Short team means less because this team is not making noise in the playoffs until Suzuki is 27/28 and Reinbacher is 21/22 and everyone else is in the middle of that age range. Go look up the ages of Tampa's core and the Avs's core when they won a cup or started to make deep playoff runs.

3-5 years is longer than 1 year. What kind of debate are you trying to have here?

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

Monahan at least early in the year? The ideal situation is that Monahan is healthy and plays until one or more younger guys grabs a spot.

Montembeault has been better than he gets credit for so far. He's not a top goalie, but he could be at least a middling starter. Hard to say while he's playing behind mostly rookies. He may be better or worse as the D improves.

It's going to be an interesting year. A lot of guys making the jump to the AHL or NHL. If most of those guys bust the habs are in another rebuild. If a few of those guys thrive they could be competitive. Most likely picking 10th-15th.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Monahan at least early in the year? The ideal situation is that Monahan is healthy and plays until one or more younger guys grabs a spot.

Montembeault has been better than he gets credit for so far. He's not a top goalie, but he could be at least a middling starter. Hard to say while he's playing behind mostly rookies. He may be better or worse as the D improves.

It's going to be an interesting year. A lot of guys making the jump to the AHL or NHL. If most of those guys bust the habs are in another rebuild. If a few of those guys thrive they could be competitive. Most likely picking 10th-15th.

I said mid-term, not talking about this year.

I don't have the same enthusiasm as you and @Habs Halifax regarding Monty. To me, he needs to be replaced if we want to be a serious team, regardless of our D core.

Fast forward to when Suzuki is 27/28 and Reinbacher is 21/22 and everyone else is in the middle of that. I think we will have less holes than you think today. Roy is a darn good prospect that stands to fill a top 6F spot IMO.

My point on Monty is once again... not today, in the future when the D is mature (3-5 years). If we had someone like Monty who is performing well as he is today and also trending well, I wouldn't complain too much about it. Of course we prefer a top 5 or top 10 NHL goalie but having a top 5 D in the NHL is more important IMO. We will see how the young guys coming perform because in 3-5 years, not sure Monty is the solution at that point. I think the best value you get from Monty is within the next 3-5 years. Not after.

Center depth looks good for sure but I'm not counting Dach as someone who plays center full time. For all we know, they go back to the Caufield/Suzuki/Dach line. I really did want to add Dubois but the cost was too high. We will see how Beck does because maybe he is good enough to play 2C and we can afford to stack up the 1st line. Would be good problems to have.

I agree we need to add more top 6 talent but we are not that far off if both Slaf and Roy reach their ceiling levels.

I mean if everyone reach their ceiling we are fine, but we both know that is usually not what happen.

We don't have a forward prospect I would say is a bona fide top 6 hope, let alone a 1st liner for Suzuki/Caufield.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I don't have the same enthusiasm as you and @Habs Halifax regarding Monty. To me, he needs to be replaced if we want to be a serious team, regardless of our D core.

I mean if everyone reach their ceiling we are fine, but we both know that is usually not what happen.

We don't have a forward prospect I would say is a bona fide top 6 hope, let alone a 1st liner for Suzuki/Caufield.

I was like meh with Monty when we acquired him but all he has done is put his head down and bust his ass off trying to improve while we had horrible team D. In my books, he can be a starter quality and 15-30 range in the NHL if he continues this path.

Monty is underrated but his prime doesn't really fall in line with the Habs prime when Suzuki is 27/28 and Reinbacher is 21/22. Monty will be 29/30 at that point. Maybe I'm wrong and he stays with us till age 35. He could fall back but make no mistake, he's on a good track over the last year or year and a half. He performed like a real NHL starter for team Canada at the last WC's. That can't be ignored or called a fluke because he was even stealing some games in the NHL last year. Top executives noticed and wanted him to play for team Canada... go figure eh. This to me is a Danault and Petry narrative... fans hear about their progression and they deny it until it forces them to change their mind. Talking about the players who break out in the age 25-30 range.

Do I think Monty is our solution for the 3-5 year range? No and I said that. But in the next 1-3 years, I do think he can solidify himself as a fringe starter. Where he goes from that is guess work.

I believe we do have a forward prospect than can be top 6. Roy is the guy. Bedard loved playing with him bud. Roy is underrated IMO. Will I be shocked if he ends up a 3rd liner? NO but his development resume and track is top 6 in the NHL at this stage. This is his first pro year so lets see how he kick starts it.

Some people use Toffoli as the Roy comparison and it's fair but fans are too afraid to say he can be a Perry like he was in his prime. Or he falls in the middle of Toffoli and Perry and that to me is a top 6F.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I was like meh with Monty when we acquired him but all he has done is put his head down and bust his ass off trying to improve while we had horrible team D. In my books, he can be a starter quality and 15-30 range in the NHL if he continues this path.

Monty is underrated but his prime doesn't really fall in line with the Habs prime when Suzuki is 27/28 and Reinbacher is 21/22. Monty will be 29/30 at that point. Maybe I'm wrong and he stays with us till age 35. He could fall back but make no mistake, he's on a good track over the last year or year and a half. He performed like a real NHL starter for team Canada at the last WC's. That can't be ignored or called a fluke because he was even stealing some games in the NHL last year. Top executives noticed and wanted him to play for team Canada... go figure eh. This to me is a Danault and Petry narrative... fans hear about their progression and they deny it until it forces them to change their mind. Talking about the players who break out in the age 25-30 range.

Do I think Monty is our solution for the 3-5 year range? No and I said that. But in the next 1-3 years, I do think he can solidify himself as a fringe starter. Where he goes from that is guess work.

I believe we do have a forward prospect than can be top 6. Roy is the guy. Bedard loved playing with him bud. Roy is underrated IMO. Will I be shocked if he ends up a 3rd liner? NO but his development resume and track is top 6 in the NHL at this stage. This is his first pro year so lets see how he kick starts it.

Some people use Toffoli as the Roy comparison and it's fair but fans are too afraid to say he can be a Perry like he was in his prime. Or he falls in the middle of Toffoli and Perry and that to me is a top 6F.

I wouldn't put as much thought in the team Canada nomination as you do. Canada's goaltending is in a horrible shape and several goalies were in the PO or injured.

G2 an G3 were a guy from the AHL and a guy from the NCAA.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

Agreed. The team is not likely to win much this year. The team is heavily dependent on at least a few of their prospects making the team long term, and at least one or two being top 6. It's optimistic, but not crazy, I think. I wouldn't bet against Roy being top 6 long term, but pretty much all of the other prospects either have a good chance to bust completely or end up way down the lineup.

I was looking through one of the top 25 under 25 lists that conveniently listed players who had previously been ranked at the same level. The list pretty much gets into the top 5 before the previously ranked players start looking at all interesting. The team has drafted and developed pretty badly the last decade or so, and a lot of the young guys, especially on D, have looked good, but there is a distinct shortage of potential top 6 forwards or top pairing D-men. The prospect list is longer, and should be better long term, but the likelihood is that only one or two of the upcoming guys have a significant impact.

Montembeault hasn't proven anything yet, but there is still some hope. It's a little early to move on from him completely, as nothing is on the line this year. If the team looks better and the goaltending is a problem they can get someone next offseason.

For the habs to have long term success a bunch of the young guys have to completely recover from some tough injuries and a lot of them have to take some pretty significant development steps. It's not impossible, assuming scouting and development have improved a lot, but it's a very optimistic assumption. It's more likely that the habs end up with a lot of middling guys the same age, lose a bunch of guys on waivers due to the logjam, end up with a middling team with maybe one or two good young guys, and that one or two of the waiver losses end up better than anyone remaining.

There is hope, not certainty.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
And the insults begin. "weak assessment" that 2 NHL players now is better than 0. Ok, not sure what I can reply to this.

Insult?
Dude, glass houses / stones... No need to get childish.

Fyi Farrell has more NHL games under his belt than Coronado.

I addressed the problematic anchoring of your assessment earlier. It's a weak argument to suggest that because Pelletier & Coronado have a good shot at making the flames roster, that makes them better prospects.
the flames have room & need for a rookie to make their opening day roster because of the incumbents... They have zero forwards under 25 in the lineup.
Habs have 4 locks (dach, Suzuki, CC, Newhook) plus 3 others (Slaf, Ylonen, RHP).

Pelletier & Coronato would be long shots to make Habs opening day roster, just like 1-3 of Farrell, Roy & Heineman would be "90%" to make flames.

Your 90% argument is weak because it conflated opinion for fact.
Your appeal to authority argument "No NHL GM blah blah blah" is even weaker both because you have no clue what any one GM would think, and at no point do all GMs have 100% concencus on anything.

Weak assessments built on bad arguments make for weak takes. Sorry if you find that "insulting". :dunno:

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
It is more than that, look at Pronmans list of U23 players, Calgary is at 21 and Montreal is at 6

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I put more value to pronman's idea of ranking u23, rather than ranking guys who haven't "graduated" to the nhl

This gives a better picture of where the team is headed, and what the strengths and weaknesses really are. Just because a guy is playing in the nhl, it doesn't mean they are a finished product by any means (or at least that would be the hope).

I mean, the Habs played a bunch of rookies last year, so a good chunk of their quality prospects won't even show up in a traditional prospect ranking.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Yes, we are talking about non-nhl prospects, that was well established.

Roy, Heineman & Farrell are all on par with Pelletier, Coronato & Honzek as far as NHL potential imo. Pelletier or Coronato may have the highest perceived ceiling, but that's heavily draft spot influenced, debatable & marginally so at best.

Beck is as good, if not a better prospect than Zary.

Mesar, Kapanen, Kidney, Rohrer & Tuch are all as good or better prospects than any of the other flames forward prospects as far as future NHL potential.

And while I fully understand & acknowledge that we are talking "prospects", the reality is that Pelletier is the same age as Dach, Caufield & Newhook, and Slaf is only 5 months older than Honzek... then add Suzuki, RHP & Ylonen.
Meanwhile Dube is the flames only established forward under 25.... the somewhat arbitrary line of "prospect" is less relevant than age & contract status if we considering organization futures.

But to reiterate, the Habs prospect pool at forward is better, imo, than the flames.
So if you are accurate in assessing the Flames as a middle tier forward prospect group, that reinforces my assessment that the Habs group sits somewhere in the top tier... Higher still if we look at U25 or U23.
Yeah the line between prospect and roster player is always kind of weird to me.

It’s like if Slaf goes to Laval and rips it up all of a sudden our prospect pool gets a big boon again! But Slaf isn’t a prospect anymore at 19 so our forward pool is looking ‘pretty miserable’.

Same thing with Newhook. The odds we get someone with his upside with those picks are slim to none. Great pre-pro resume who was buried on a great team but again, he’s a roster player so our ‘prospect pool’ takes a hit. lol it’s just weird.

U23 we look really good which is what really matters.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Yeah the line between prospect and roster player is always kind of weird to me.

It’s like if Slaf goes to Laval and rips it up all of a sudden our prospect pool gets a big boon again! But Slaf isn’t a prospect anymore at 19 so our forward pool is looking ‘pretty miserable’.

Same thing with Newhook. The odds we get someone with his upside with those picks are slim to none. Great pre-pro resume who was buried on a great team but again, he’s a roster player so our ‘prospect pool’ takes a hit. lol it’s just weird.

U23 we look really good which is what really matters.
Indeed.

Any lens you take, our ELC/RFA rights pool of forwards is very good, even if we don't have many elite potential forwards outside of the ones already in the NHL.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
It is more than that, look at Pronmans list of U23 players, Calgary is at 21 and Montreal is at 6

Welcome to a conversation that you didn't read at all. We are talking about pre-NHLers.

I put more value to pronman's idea of ranking u23, rather than ranking guys who haven't "graduated" to the nhl

This gives a better picture of where the team is headed, and what the strengths and weaknesses really are. Just because a guy is playing in the nhl, it doesn't mean they are a finished product by any means (or at least that would be the hope).

I mean, the Habs played a bunch of rookies last year, so a good chunk of their quality prospects won't even show up in a traditional prospect ranking.
Both levels of analysis are relevant and valuable.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
1. Lane Hutson, 50.8% (+7)
2. David Reinbacher, 84.8% (NA)
3. Logan Mailloux, 37.2% (+4)
4. Joshua Roy, 37.7% (+1)
5. Adam Engstrom, 42.8% (+21)
6. Owen Beck, 72.2% (+4)
7. Emil Heineman, 40.7% (+6)
8. Sean Farrell, 65.6% (-5)
9. Filip Mesar, 54.5% (-3)