2023 Free Agent Frenzy

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
A little crazy to see Montgomery in the top 10 FA list and MLBTR predicting him getting 6/150M, he has been solid, but I never really saw him that high up the ladder and more of a high end 3rd starter

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I am waiting to see what debacle awaits me with regard to Cease trade

The rumored teams is intriguing but some notable problems.

- Braves GM basically saying young ML talent is not being traded this offseason and them only having 2 top 100 prospects and so many talents graduated to ML level its hard to see any package that would work for White Sox with Braves unwilling to move cost controlled young talent in deal

- Dodgers weren't willing to part with top system talent during ML TDL when first rumors surfaced. Doubtful they would change tune over couple months

- Orioles were another team that didn't seem to desire to make big move and were not willing to move much of futures despite deep prospect pool

- Cards system isn't that deep and its hard to see them putting together a good package

- Mets don't have much young talent to part with and the top guys in Mets system play positions the Sox already have some prospects at (SS/C) among our top prospects

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

- Braves GM basically saying young ML talent is not being traded this offseason and them only having 2 top 100 prospects and so many talents graduated to ML level its hard to see any package that would work for White Sox with Braves unwilling to move cost controlled young talent in deal

- Dodgers weren't willing to part with top system talent during ML TDL when first rumors surfaced. Doubtful they would change tune over couple months

- Orioles were another team that didn't seem to desire to make big move and were not willing to move much of futures despite deep prospect pool

- Cards system isn't that deep and its hard to see them putting together a good package

- Mets don't have much young talent to part with and the top guys in Mets system play positions the Sox already have some prospects at (SS/C) among our top prospects
There’s also just a lot of good pitching options on the free agent market. Teams probably aren’t keen to give up big packages of assets when you can just pay money

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

Yeah, I don't understand how the Braves are ever rumored with big trades. While the core on the field is in place for the next 5-6 years plus, the farm is bare.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
There’s also just a lot of good pitching options on the free agent market. Teams probably aren’t keen to give up big packages of assets when you can just pay money

Cease though you get 2 years of team control at affordable cost which is always intriguing to some of the smaller payroll teams.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Not sure you’ll see the Sox move cease during the meetings

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Will say baseball is just a brutally long off season. How long everything takes.
Rosenthal just wrote a big article about it tonight. MLB proposed in 2019 a measure increase the pace of the activity and the PA turned it down:

The league, according to sources briefed on the discussions, proposed in 2019 a deadline on multiyear contracts that would occur each year on the Wednesday of the meetings. The players’ union, after conducting extensive discussions internally and with agents, rejected the idea. The sentiment on the players’ side was near-unanimous. The union consistently opposes any restrictions on the free market. It also fears deadlines might squeeze certain players to accept below-market deals

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Will say baseball is just a brutally long off season. How long everything takes.
It takes as long as it takes. I get that people want buzz and excitement but as the article below your post explains, they aren’t going to agree to terms that would impose deadlines and affect the deal making ability. This is going to be a pretty unreal offseason in terms of activity because of the number of high value FA on the market. It’s gonna happen soon enough

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00