2023 Free Agency Frenzy

jgs

Oct 24, 2019

You won't any opposing team taking runs at Leaf players. Reeves will se to that. Did you see how the Panthers quite taking runs at Vegas players after Kolesar broke Matthew's sternum with a good clean hard check. That is the way you play the game. You want to tak runs at our players, fine then we will take runs at your players.

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
You just watched a video of Reaves teammates getting "run" on.
Think back to the Rangers acquiring Reeves after they hired Gallant. All the talk was about the reason for that acquisition. It was to put Wilson and the Capitols in check and any other team that thought they could run over the Rangers. I believe in the very first meeting between the Rangers and Caps, all the talk was that Wilson better be ready cause Reeves is coming for him. Even Don Cherry mention in his talk that Wilson better be ready to fight.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Think back to the Rangers acquiring Reeves after they hired Gallant. All the talk was about the reason for that acquisition. It was to put Wilson and the Capitols in check and any other team that thought they could run over the Rangers. I believe in the very first meeting between the Rangers and Caps, all the talk was that Wilson better be ready cause Reeves is coming for him. Even Don Cherry mention in his talk that Wilson better be ready to fight.

This is what happens when things don't get handled between the "tough guys".

Reactions: Mcsorley47 and jgs

Mcsorley47

Jan 12, 2021
Yorba Linda, Ca
e!Clarke was getting run in his small stint in LA year. He's pretty skinny. The Kings basically signed Englund to protect him
You just watched a video of Reaves teammates getting "run" on.
I’m guessing you’ve never played a physical sport before!

Because if you have, you’d know, physical intimidation is real.

Why are we not having success in the playoffs? Don’t we have more offense now, than ever before; maybe one of the most skilled teams in decades, right?

What did both cup teams have in common?

Name the last cup team to win the cup with a non-physical team.

Curious who that was?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I’m guessing you’ve never played a physical sport before!
My favorite lazy response.

And yes. I've played both hockey and football.

What did both cup teams have in common?

Name the last cup team to win the cup with a non-physical team.

Curious who that was?
What does this have to do with my post?

BTW, Vegas was 14th in the league in hits this year and 32nd in penalty minutes.

Last edited:

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
My favorite lazy response.

And yes. I've played both hockey and football.

What does this have to do whith my post?

BTW, Vegas was 14th in the league in hits this year and 32nd in penalty minutes.
Would you take liberties with the opposing teams players knowing that they have a bad@@@ that will give you a beat down for doing that. There will always be an occasional run because players loose their cool or sometimes are just plain stupid. But the majority of the time they won't cause they know they will be held accountable. Did you see what Happened to McEwan when he took a run at the Vegas Player. Yea he got his rear handed to him. Same thing happen to Tkachuk. Panthers played different after that hit.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Would you take liberties with the opposing teams players knowing that they have a bad@@@ that will give you a beat down for doing that. There will always be an occasional run because players loose their cool or sometimes are just plain stupid. But the majority of the time they won't cause they know they will be held accountable. Did you see what Happened to McEwan when he took a run at the Vegas Player. Yea he got his rear handed to him. Same thing happen to Tkachuk. Panthers played different after that hit.
There's been actual studies done on this.

Anecdotally, it wouldn't have any impact for me on whether I'd take liberties or not.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I'm probably more old school hockey than most here....add that to my f*** everyone philosophy, add that to my I really don't give a f*** about anyone philosophy, and even I can recognize that this line of an eye for eye is GONE in the NHL, it's not there.....there's a few reasons for that, first, society, progress whatever you want to call it, has become softer, but more than that, players go apeshit over GOOD hits these days....so going full stupid over a hit, isn't gonna change anything, the Cogliano hit on Fiala, no rational person can look at that and go, well...if we had Reaves, stupid won't do what stupid does, the Fiala hit on Roy 2 years ago, same thing...... McDavid on Anderson, stupid hits happen in the game, no enforcer is going to PREVENT that...does anything think we had Reaves or the Hanson brothers, that McDavid goes...well...maybe I shouldn't make this hit...of course not...he still makes the hit...every, single, time, without, fail.

Reactions: Herby and johnjm22

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

See...that's the problem....there are no more Sean Avery, Matt Cooke's or can't remember the lil shit's name....only played a few years was a real mental case....those players, would absolutely run your best player, every day all day every shift, if they thought they could stay in the game and do it, you think McSorely scared them? They are too stupid to be scared, that's why they lasted in the league, I mean hell, how many times did Cooke have to be suspended? Yea, he got the shit kicked out of him, learned his lesson that one, never did it again...right?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I wanted the Kings to go after Mason Marchment when he was a UFA.

I've said all offseason I would a like a gritty winger and physical LHD. The caveat being they actually have to be good at hockey.

I do think physical players with an edge add a dimension to the team.

But it doesn't deter anything. Unless you remove hitting from hockey, the McDavid hit on Anderson will always happen.

Last edited:

Mcsorley47

Jan 12, 2021
Yorba Linda, Ca
When an opposing player hurts and injures our guys, yes a 6’5 biffed out, meathead type dude cant stop that from happening, yes. But the lack of response is demoralizing and unacceptable.

It’s like trying to rationalize someone attacking your friend or wife out on the street and you do nothing but stand there and watch it. And try and argue your mere presence would not have stopped the incident from happening.

It’s a respect thing for your teammate; that you’re in this together. Leave no man behind.

A lot of you guys on this board make this argument. Hate physical players as if they’re not needed. And when opposing players start to hit and beat them up, you guys don’t know what to say, lol! I know, will get them on the power play!

If someone hits and hurts you, you need to respond, not stand around and film it. I’ve never been a stand on the sidelines type of guy.

So, to most of you guys, that just can’t understand or rationalize in your head, that sometimes a bad act or dirty move by an opposing player deserves an immediate act of violence in return…..god bless you guys!

Johnjm22 - this post is not directed towards you. I respect your posts. You’re one of the more knowledgeable posters. I’ve been on this thing since 2003 but never post, just read.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I like tough players, and I've been bemoaning how soft the Kings have been as a team, but this idea that icing a tough lineup prevents opponents from taking runs at players is a complete myth and utter nonsense.

Zac Rinaldo took a headshot on Doughty, Sean Bergenheim and Dave Bolland took headshots on Mike Richards, Duncan Keith with his vicious slash to Jeff Carter's face, and those Kings teams were considered to be quite tougher then, and having the likes of Nolan, Greene, etc., was not a deterrent whatsoever.

The Blues took runs at the Kings in 2012 and 2013 and that didn't work out so well for them in both playoff series. Dwight King took a run at Pietrangelo and took him out, did their tough players make the Kings play any different? Nope.

Jarret Stoll took out Vlasic, and those Sharks were full of pricks like Raffi Torres and Mike Brown, and they didn't seem to do anything to turn that 2014 series in their favor with their physical play.

You guys who play rec league hockey should know this. If someone is scared to be on the ice against certain players, they more than likely wouldn't be playing this sport. And how far have teams with Ryan Reaves gotten in the playoffs in the last couple of years? He's bounced around so many teams, and more and more teams that ended up acquiring him found out how expendable he was when it came time to renew his contract. The Leafs will soon find that out personally.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Vegas had 14 fighting majors this year. Kings had 11. Not much of a difference.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Vegas was 26th in the league in total fights. Florida was 15th.
Remember when having Kip Brennan, Brad Norton, and Ryan Flinn on the Kings prevented Ziggy Palffy and Jason Allison from getting injured at the hands of Todd Simpson and Andy Sutton?

If you remember that game the coach scratched all the tough guys and Lappy had to fight Sutton.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
one excellent reason to have enforcers/physically imposing players is that even with2 referees, they miss cheap shots. if there's no price to be paid for a cheap delivered on our team, we will get taken advantage of like raw bitches. lots of guys (rafael torres, leo komorov, etc) have made fairly successful careers doing little more than delivering cheap shots. its a learned trait. if you dont have players that can counterbalance that type of play you're done.
you can attach as many attempts at quantifying why this isnt so or presenting biased "scientific" studies to establish a negative trend. but the fact is that physicality is the nature of the game. hockey is a physical contact sport. attempts to remove that physicality will leave us with something else.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
You won't any opposing team taking runs at Leaf players. Reeves will se to that. Did you see how the Panthers quite taking runs at Vegas players after Kolesar broke Matthew's sternum with a good clean hard check. That is the way you play the game. You want to tak runs at our players, fine then we will take runs at your players.
I’ve known lots of pro players including ex- nhl guys. They do not care if they have to answer the bell even if the know they will lose. One or two low character guys might care, however guys that take runs will still take runs.

As you say good physical play is the answer, so is team toughness. You don’t need a Reeves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad