2023 Free Agency Frenzy

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Giant flaw in the roster.

Tobias Bjornfot should be a regular #6 guy; he deserves it and is capable enough.

Mikey Anderson - Drew Doughty
Vladislav Gavrikov - Matt Roy
Tobias Bjornfot - Brandt Clarke
* Jordan Spence

You send Englund to the A and we literally have the softest team in the league.

We ought to split up Gavrikov and Roy at even strength.

Gavrikov - Spence
Bjornfot - Roy

That’s assuming Bjornfot makes the team, but my money’s on that not happening.

LilBallofHate

Apr 19, 2023
I get all the toughness talk, but is it really why we lost to Edmonton. If we win game 4 which we should have, probably win the series. Got scored on literally every power play Edmonton had, Korpisalo played well for the most part, but gave up some weird wrist shot goals from far out. I don't know, I guess they could have smashed some more faces in.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
We ought to split up Gavrikov and Roy at even strength.

Gavrikov - Spence
Bjornfot - Roy

That’s assuming Bjornfot makes the team, but my money’s on that not happening.
Roy and Gavrikov are awesome together.

But I don't disagree with your premise. Pairing Clarke/Spence with Gavrikov and Bjornfot with Roy balances things out, and puts our young players in an optimal situation to succeed.

You could occasionally put Gav-Roy back together in specific situations when you really need it.

Todd won't do it.

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
I get all the toughness talk, but is it really why we lost to Edmonton. If we win game 4 which we should have, probably win the series. Got scored on literally every power play Edmonton had, Korpisalo played well for the most part, but gave up some weird wrist shot goals from far out. I don't know, I guess they could have smashed some more faces in.
Yeah simply getting tougher isn't getting past the Oilers. They dominated for like 90% of the series. Even the games where the Kings won felt more like luck than sheer willpower.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
We've got problems when we're calling Brandt Clarke chippy.

It's like saying this team has a lot of tough players and naming off Adrian Kempe.
I said Chippy, not tough but he is probably a guy that could contribute to team toughness which is what we need. I can certainly see him getting into guys faces when they get too close to the goalie… fighting? no.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Maybe you win Game 4 if you do something about your top pairing defenseman getting concussed a couple of weeks earlier against the same team you're playing in said Game 4.

It's a f***ing mindset and this franchise has never had it since Tkachuk elbowed Doughty. When the Kings did something about it next time in Calgary, it was McNabb, Andreoff and Iginla. It definitely wasn't Kopitar and it never will be but it certainly wasn't Doughty and he's the one that got elbowed! Then he gets clowned multiple times over in ensuing matchups.

Those are the two holdovers from that team. They are the top two leaders on this team. It is a disease that Blake has not addressed and it permeates throughout the lineup.

Cup winners don't take shit. MacEwen smashes a Vegas player, no injury, but he gets dealt with immediately. Mikey Anderson concussed on a cheap hit? f***ing crickets.

They won't win a damn thing until that changes.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Maybe you win Game 4 if you do something about your top pairing defenseman getting concussed a couple of weeks earlier against the same team you're playing in said Game 4.

It's a f***ing mindset and this franchise has never had it since Tkachuk elbowed Doughty. When the Kings did something about it next time in Calgary, it was McNabb, Andreoff and Iginla. It definitely wasn't Kopitar and it never will be but it certainly wasn't Doughty and he's the one that got elbowed! Then he gets clowned multiple times over in ensuing matchups.

Those are the two holdovers from that team. They are the top two leaders on this team. It is a disease that Blake has not addressed and it permeates throughout the lineup.

Cup winners don't take shit. MacEwen smashes a Vegas player, no injury, but he gets dealt with immediately. Mikey Anderson concussed on a cheap hit? f***ing crickets.

That was a funnn time.

la-kings-calgary-flames-talk-warm-up.jpg

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
What about the Joshua hit on Grundstrom?

Nurse taking out Grunny’s teeth?

The Josh Anderson hit on Kopitar?

The Zadorov cross check on Byfield?

Cogliano cheap shots on Kempe and Fiala?

Nothing.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

You’re 100% correct, but signing over the hill assclowns like Simmonds and Clifford or never wases like Boko (lmao WHAT?) isn’t the answer. Doubt it changes until Blake, Doughty and Kopitar are LONG gone.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA

Agree 1000%. If you remember Lombardi came down after the Tkachuk reverse check on Doughty and gave it the team.

The best part was Iginla later fighting Engelland (after he cross checked Kopi) in Calgary and bloodying him.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
What about the Joshua hit on Grundstrom?

Nurse taking out Grunny’s teeth?

The Josh Anderson hit on Kopitar?

The Zadorov cross check on Byfield?

Cogliano cheap shots on Kempe and Fiala?

Nothing.
Stephenson on Bjornfot was egregious.

Hell...Fiala on Roy. You can make a giant list.

Agree 1000%. If you remember Lombardi came down after the Tkachuk reverse check on Doughty and gave it the team.

The best part was Iginla later fighting Engelland (after he cross checked Kopi) in Calgary and bloodying him.
Part of my point was the guys who did something are long gone. But a guy like Forbort who I'm pretty sure was right there when the elbow happened, he would do something now but he didn't then. He goes and plays for a real team and changes.

It's disgusting. This Ziemmer kid is my favorite Kings player right now and he isn't even under contract.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I have no problem with the goaltending. Quick and Peterson were awful last year. I would like to see a full season from Copley and Vegas proved you can win with career back ups. Kings now have 3.

The toughness is still an issue.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Roy and Gavrikov are awesome together.

But I don't disagree with your premise. Pairing Clarke/Spence with Gavrikov and Bjornfot with Roy balances things out, and puts our young players in an optimal situation to succeed.

You could occasionally put Gav-Roy back together in specific situations when you really need it.

Todd won't do it.
Yeah I agree. Last minute of a game to protect a lead, sit Bjornfot and Clarke. Same with the penalty kill if the game is close.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Mcsorley47

Jan 12, 2021
Yorba Linda, Ca
Stephenson on Bjornfot was egregious.

Hell...Fiala on Roy. You can make a giant list.

Part of my point was the guys who did something are long gone. But a guy like Forbort who I'm pretty sure was right there when the elbow happened, he would do something now but he didn't then. He goes and plays for a real team and changes.

It's disgusting. This Ziemmer kid is my favorite Kings player right now and he isn't even under contract.
The way they drafted this year and signing Englund tells me they know.

I expect things to change.

Reactions: kinghock

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I will take Bertuzzi. He scored 30 goals a few seasons back, has major attitude (see stick breaking incident during the playoffs), can fight, and is perfect for the playoffs.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Yeah, but its not fighting toughness, its "win that board battle and get the puck out of the zone so we can change and not get caught with kids against the best in the world" toughness that is missing, and it got worse by losing Iafallo.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Hear me out..

Quinton Byfield - Anze Kopitar - Adrian Kempe
Kevin Fiala - PLD - Arthur Kaliyev
Trevor Moore - Philip Danault - Viktor Arvidsson
Nick Ritchie - Blake Lizotte - Trevor Lewis
*Carl Grundstrom

Proven heavy weight, can score, quite inconsistent. Switch out he and Grundstrom depending on who's hot vs cold.

Also when it's game 40 of the regular season and Byfield has 5 points you can put him with Kopitar. Dwight King 2.0

jgs

Oct 24, 2019

Did you see what happen to Tkachuk in the game after he nailed Eichel in Vegas. Kolesaar went after him with a clean hard check and broke his sternum. That is old school hockey. You mess with our best player. we are going to mess with your best player, no waiting around. Blake talks about building a Cup contending team. That will only happen when the Kings bring in talent that can play and be real physical and take no crap and push back when needed. If the Kings are looking for this in Kopitar and Doughty, they are in real big trouble. Kopitar shits his pants if he even thinks he might have to fight. and Doughty, he is all mouth. Love the Kings but they are a very soft team and won't go nowhere until they toughen up and stick up for each other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad