2023 FISU Winter Games

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
It helps that the USA finally sent real college hockey players rather than the team of club clown all-stars they sent in years past.
The US team is Div 3, as always.
This year they look a little better.
Not sure if it's because their group is weak or they are better than normal.
I've watched a few USA games and they don't look bad.
Tomorrow night should show us if they are contenders or pretenders.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
The US team is Div 3, as always.
This year they look a little better.
Not sure if it's because their group is weak or they are better than normal.
I've watched a few USA games and they don't look bad.
Tomorrow night should show us if they are contenders or pretenders.
It's not always been Division III players - pretty certain this is the first time. For years, they sent club players who would get smoked. It was embarrassing. We're the second-best hockey playing nation in the world, and we sent fourth-tier college players to an international competition for 20 years. What a joke.

The U.S. did send real college hockey players in 1989 and 1991. This is the first time since then that US has even been relevant at this event. Source: Previous Winter World University Games

Last edited:
Reactions: MiamiHockeyII

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
It's not always been Division III players - pretty certain this is the first time. For years, they sent club players who would get smoked. It was embarrassing. We're the second-best hockey playing nation in the world, and we sent fourth-tier college players to an international competition for 20 years. What a joke.

The U.S. did send real college hockey players in 1989 and 1991. This is the first time since then that US has even been relevant at this event. Source: Previous Winter World University Games
Looking at this article, you may be right. I stand corrected.

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
CAN women with a 5-0 win over JPN to claim Gold. Woodland with the SO.

Not to diminish the win, but without Russia the field was weak.

Reactions: Drummer

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
They sent an ACHA all star team historically.
I’ve never seen ACHA or Div3 in person, so I’ve got to ask how big the talent difference is , I’ve seen a lot of articles pumping the ACHA’s tires , but they all seem to be very biased .

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
They sent an ACHA all star team historically.
I’ve never seen ACHA or Div3 in person, so I’ve got to ask how big the talent difference is , I’ve seen a lot of articles pumping the ACHA’s tires , but they all seem to be very biased .
There are some good players in the ACHA, and some are capable of playing real college hockey and, for whatever reason, don't. Some of them have the talent but not the work ethic, and some the reverse, and most have neither the talent nor the work ethic. Most club teams practice significantly less than NCAA Division I and Division III programs, don't have on campus rinks or facilities, lack the coaching talent, and have wide talent gaps from the first line to the fourth line and so on. They're also, by and large, pay-to-play programs that are generally unsupervised by the school. They're almost always not run by the athletic department, and a good amount of shady shit happens - just look at what happened with Iowa State this past year. But all that doesn't stop the "Division I Club" teams from woofing about how "they could play in the NCAA." Even Lindenwood, which was a club team last year, brought in 15 new players and transfers for their first NCAA Division I season because the club players are just not at that level.

The reality is that even NCAA Division III hockey nowadays is a commitment that demands 100% and nothing less from student athletes, and generally, most Division III players now have at least a year, if not more, of Tier II juniors. They're 20 years old coming in as freshmen, just like in Division I. The demands on their time for practice and off-ice training and treatments and so on are no different, and often couple with far more demanding academic workloads than at a lot of Division I schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drummer and AUS Fan

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
It helps that the USA finally sent real college hockey players rather than the team of club clown all-stars they sent in years past.
The ACHA is a level below Div III, which is a big level below Div I. There are good Div III players, but there's a substantial gap between them and the Canadian lineup. An American victory today would be a monumental upset.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
The ACHA is a level below Div III, which is a big level below Div I. There are good Div III players, but there's a substantial gap between them and the Canadian lineup. An American victory today would be a monumental upset.
The top of the ACHA to the top of Division III is as big a jump or bigger than the jump from top of Division III to Division I.

I agree that a US win would be an upset, especially when you consider that most of the Canadian team played major junior before going to university. That said, I also wouldn't be surprised if it happened. As I've said elsewhere, most of the top Division III players don't play hockey beyond college, but could if they wanted to. Instead, they go on to real jobs and careers that pay far better than the ECHL. The US staff has some of the best coaches in college hockey at either level. They knew what they were doing putting this team together.

Last edited:
Reactions: dm8895

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
CAN with the 7-2 win over a gutsy but overmatched USA team.

USA scored a 3-5 shorty, which doesn't often happen at any level.

The announcers kept commenting how USA was getting 58 shots a game and scoring an average of 7 goals or something like that.
USA had GBR in their pool and won 18-0.

All in all, it was a good game. Once CAN were up by 4 it was only a matter of time. USA took a few over agressive penalties but in the end it was 14-16 pims in favor of CAN.
Shots were 47-19.

No Miracle this time.
I hope USA continues to send D3 players and if they could, throw in a few D1 healthy scratches.

It's been fun watching this. Brings back memories of 2007.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada

The announcers kept commenting how USA was getting 58 shots a game and scoring an average of 7 goals or something like that.

All in all, it was a good game. Once CAN were up by 4 it was only a matter of time. USA took a few over agressive penalties but in the end it was 14-16 pims in favor of CAN.
Shots were 47-19.

No Miracle this time.
I hope USA continues to send D3 players and if they could, throw in a few D1 healthy scratches.

Great crowd, what an experience for the student athletes.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Yes, the USA is usually an ACHA team. Which is really weak. However, a Div I team was going to go to the last tournament which was cancelled by Covid.

Without Russia this tournament drops a level. Kazakhstan was also not as good as usual.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Yes, the USA is usually an ACHA team. Which is really weak. However, a Div I team was going to go to the last tournament which was cancelled by Covid.

Without Russia this tournament drops a level. Kazakhstan was also not as good as usual.

It's a total joke that we haven't been sending our best athletes to this event. Send a team of Division I players and we're tough to beat. Send Division III players and we're beatable. Send club clowns and we get laughed out of the rink. You want to wear a USA jersey? You should have to be the best, not just be available.

Russia can play in international athletic events when they stop waging aggressive war and committing genocide. Until then, they aren't missed.

Last edited:

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
The top of the ACHA to the top of Division III is as big a jump or bigger than the jump from top of Division III to Division I.

I agree that a US win would be an upset, especially when you consider that most of the Canadian team played major junior before going to university. That said, I also wouldn't be surprised if it happened. As I've said elsewhere, most of the top Division III players don't play hockey beyond college, but could if they wanted to. Instead, they go on to real jobs and careers that pay far better than the ECHL. The US staff has some of the best coaches in college hockey at either level. They knew what they were doing putting this team together.
I admire your optimism, but you both overestimate Div III and underestimate USports. The shots were 18-3 after the 1st Period, and 49-17 overall. Not a close contest.

Team Canada featured 7 NHL Drafts Picks and 4 players with AHL experience. All but two members of Team Canada played multiple seasons in Major Junior, with several team Captains and several players who averaged well over a PPG in major junior.

It is rare for an NCAA Div III player to even get an ECHL cup of coffee, and it's not because of the pay. Aurora University and (with all due respect to the SUNY system) SUNY Geneseo are not launching their graduates to high-paying jobs right out of undergrad.

Reactions: Drummer and AUS Fan

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink

I agree on both counts. The Finns were't there also and they've had decent teams in the past. It was not the strongest of pools which is unfortunate.
As well as I thought USA played, they were totally overmatched. They were in a weak pool and needed a "miracle" win over KAZ to claim 1st. If not for that, they would have lost to CAN in the semis and the Gold medal game would have been family and friends in the arena.

Reactions: MiamiHockeyII

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB

Shots were 47-19.

No Miracle this time.

That was one of my frustrations watching yesterday -- that game against Great Britain totally skewed USA's statistical "averages". Should have gone with medians, or an average not including the GB game. I think in the third period the broadcasters finally alluded to USA playing in a weaker pool. That worked against them, as they didn't have enough game experience playing 'tough' teams.

I don't want to see Russian or Belarus teams until the war is over in Ukraine, their 1991 borders are restored, and Russia begins paying reparations. As I have posted on Twitter, I don't believe Russians or Belarusians should be playing in the NHL either.

Kazakhstan is hit or miss. They're mostly semi-pro or pro players taking online courses at the same "sport" university.

Tournament would benefit from Finland for sure.

Interesting tidbit from perusing the FIFA regulations: the men's tournament is set at 12 teams. If more than 12 teams apply, the first 12 countries who pay their fees get in.

My big question: Why did USA not have a women's team at the tournament?

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I looked at the stats and due to the weak teams in both pools, the team stats are all very deceiving.
- a player on KAZ won the scoring title with 15 pts, 3 more than Brett Davis
- CAN had only three players in the top 10 of scoring
- CAN was third in most team categories; Scoring Efficiency, Power Play, SVS% and second in PK
- Had only one player in the top 10 for +/-

But in other categories (where Gardiner, or anyone really, likes to be best in) they led
- top 3 face-off centers were on CAN; Brett Davis, Andrew Coxhead and Jared Dmytriw were an avg of 72%
- team GAA of 1.14
- T3 out of 12 for least PIMs per game at 8 (4 minors)
- Avg Shots Against was 14.6 (tournament average was 35).
- second to USA in Shots per Game at 48.7 (USA at 52.3) and the tournament avg was 32.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Oh i definitely get this.. I try and avoid being overly critical about CIS hockey, its my favourite hockey to watch, but i try and remind myself that they are students playing for free (insert UNB joke if you want) but Monday Morning Quarterbacking is also the best part of sports fandom :p .
I don't disagree with the team and I've seen far bigger snubs (Marty St.Louis initially being left off 2014 Olympic team... needed to get that in because it still grinds my gears today)..
I like Ross as a player a lot, he seems like a good dude and I've gotten to know his family a little bit so I am biased.
I will say, I did a little scouting for Jr.A and midget teams and I've always placed a shit ton of value on someone who is maybe not the best offensive d-man and maybe also not the very best shut down guy in the league or team but that are near or at the top tier in both...
Aka - The reason I say I would take McAvoy over Makar , or why I argued that Olivier Leblanc was better than Murphy.
Long story short, Ross is who I would design if I were tasked to make an AUS dman and I need to keep my "6am tipsy vacation expert takes" to the NHL, where I have Leaf fans to tell me off instead of people to be the voice of reason haha.
Sometimes you guys are to sensible but this is also the most knowledgeable group for hockey discussion i have come across

Laughed at the "insert UNB" comment as I coached with a guy from Fredericton a few years ago and he told me some stories.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
The USA women came close to qualifying. CAN won 2-1 over the USA. They had a decent team.
Was not my intent to disparage, but I suspect if you glance at the results and don't see the US in the finals or even semis, you would make the assumption that they weren't there.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I can understand you missing that.

USA didn't have any UNB players.

Was not my intent to disparage, but I suspect if you glance at the results and don't see the US in the finals or even semis, you would make the assumption that they weren't there.
Talking.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2