2023 FISU Winter Games

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
Schedule is here:

The hockey is NOT in Lake Placid until the Semis. Games are all in Canton / Potsdam NY, which are ~25 minutes from the border crossing at Prescott / Ogdensburg, and ~75 minutes from Ottawa.

Took my son's U14 team down to Canton for a game this weekend, and the facilities are incredible. The SUNY Canton arena is laid out nearly identical to Ontario Tech's arena, but it's nicer, and Cheel Arena at Clarkson is like an OHL barn. At $10 / ticket, this is a steal.

You can stay in Canada and cross daily, if you wish. Zero lines at the border crossing.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Reactions: MiamiHockeyII

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Surprised Macdougall didn't go, I think he has been UNB's top player this year.

Last edited:

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Who do you drop?
Thats a valid question lol.
I can't really speak for any of the CW or OUA guys but I'd take him over McCormick , I might be the only person in Fredericton who shares this sentiment but Ross has been UNB's best player in my book.

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
USports Release:

NAMEPOSITIONUNIVERSITYHOMETOWN
Justin BergeronDefenceUQTRMagog, QC
Kyle BollersForwardTorontoOshawa, ON
Matthew BrassardDefenceUPEIBarrie, ON
Andrew CoxheadForwardSaint Mary'sBedford,NS
Brett DavisForwardManitobaOakbank, MB
Jared DmytriwForwardSaskatchewanCraven, SK
Kai EdmondsGoaltenderTMUOttawa, ON
Brady GilmourForwardUNBGrafton, ON
Liam HawelForwardSTFXArnprior, ON
Austen KeatingForwardUNBGuelph, ON
Noah KingDefenceCalgaryWinnipeg, MB
Simon LafranceForwardUQTRSaint-Eustache, QC
Zachary LavigneForwardUQTRDrummondville, QC
Justin MacPhersonDefenceSaint Mary'sEast Gwillimbury, ON
Kyle MaksimovichForwardUPEIHamilton, ON
Adam McCormickDefenceUNBWaterville, NB
Jacob PaquetteDefenceQueen’sOttawa, ON
Roddy RossGoaltenderSaskatchewanMeadow Lake, SK
TJ SheaForwardUPEITignish, PEI
Matthew StruthersForwardSTFXMilton, ON
Scott WalfordDefenceMcGillCoquitlam, BC
Matt WelshGoaltenderSaint Mary'sHalifax, NS
Jonathan YantsisForwardQueen’sMarkham, ON

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I like him also, but there are many factors here.

He may have been asked and declined or perhaps not.

The coaches are building a Team that they think will compete so they may have McCormick slated for a specific role that perhaps MacDougall can't do.

Not being critical of any Monday morning quarterbacks, but I feel that if I knew more than Gards or Gibby or any of the other coaches, the CIS would have picked me.

I was there in 2007 with the AUS team and it's kinda like making sausage. Not all that cut-and-dried.
So I'm happy with their choices.

For people wondering why so-and-so is not there, They may have been asked and chose not to go. I'm certain that every player on this team was NOT a 1st pick. Some are obvious like Hawell, Bollers, Brassard, MacPherson and others, but some were 2nd or even 3rd choices.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007

The coaches are building a Team that they think will compete so they may have McCormick slated for a specific role that perhaps MacDougall can't do.

Not being critical of any Monday morning quarterbacks, but I feel that if I knew more than Gards or Gibby or any of the other coaches, the CIS would have picked me.

I was there in 2007 with the AUS team and it's kinda like making sausage. Not all that cut-and-dried.

For people wondering why so-and-so is not there, They may have been asked and chose not to go. I'm certain that every player on this team was NOT a 1st pick. Some are obvious like Hawell, Bollers, Brassard, MacPherson and others, but some were 2nd or even 3rd choices.

My guess is some players turned it down. Nobody from MRU or Alberta.

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach

Oh i definitely get this.. I try and avoid being overly critical about CIS hockey, its my favourite hockey to watch, but i try and remind myself that they are students playing for free (insert UNB joke if you want) but Monday Morning Quarterbacking is also the best part of sports fandom :p .
I don't disagree with the team and I've seen far bigger snubs (Marty St.Louis initially being left off 2014 Olympic team... needed to get that in because it still grinds my gears today)..
I like Ross as a player a lot, he seems like a good dude and I've gotten to know his family a little bit so I am biased.
I will say, I did a little scouting for Jr.A and midget teams and I've always placed a shit ton of value on someone who is maybe not the best offensive d-man and maybe also not the very best shut down guy in the league or team but that are near or at the top tier in both...
Aka - The reason I say I would take McAvoy over Makar , or why I argued that Olivier Leblanc was better than Murphy.
Long story short, Ross is who I would design if I were tasked to make an AUS dman and I need to keep my "6am tipsy vacation expert takes" to the NHL, where I have Leaf fans to tell me off instead of people to be the voice of reason haha.
Sometimes you guys are to sensible but this is also the most knowledgeable group for hockey discussion i have come across

dale1919

Dec 14, 2022
Oh i definitely get this.. I try and avoid being overly critical about CIS hockey, its my favourite hockey to watch, but i try and remind myself that they are students playing for free (insert UNB joke if you want) but Monday Morning Quarterbacking is also the best part of sports fandom :p .
I don't disagree with the team and I've seen far bigger snubs (Marty St.Louis initially being left off 2014 Olympic team... needed to get that in because it still grinds my gears today)..
I like Ross as a player a lot, he seems like a good dude and I've gotten to know his family a little bit so I am biased.
I will say, I did a little scouting for Jr.A and midget teams and I've always placed a shit ton of value on someone who is maybe not the best offensive d-man and maybe also not the very best shut down guy in the league or team but that are near or at the top tier in both...
Aka - The reason I say I would take McAvoy over Makar , or why I argued that Olivier Leblanc was better than Murphy.
Long story short, Ross is who I would design if I were tasked to make an AUS dman and I need to keep my "6am tipsy vacation expert takes" to the NHL, where I have Leaf fans to tell me off instead of people to be the voice of reason haha.
Sometimes you guys are to sensible but this is also the most knowledgeable group for hockey discussion i have come across
Aus Fan has always been the voice of reason for me!! I was tossing and turning wondering about why only 2 of the top 10 scoring forwards from CW were selected( the sask and man kids are solid but MRU pair are having another record year, must be in pre med), then i read AUS FAN's post and it all made sense!
Awkward time to slot in the FISU event.
Great stuff on here as per usual. gentlemen!!

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
According to the article, some UofA guys turned it down. No mention of MRU, but probably the same.
Three things to keep in mind for FISU:

1) Travel costs. Depending on the Athletic Department, students may have to pay for some or all of their own travel to/from FISU. I know this has been the case with UManitoba players. I can't blame guys for not wanting to fork out $1000 just to travel to upstate New York.

2) Academics. Missing the first three weeks of the semester can put the guys in a tough position academically, especially if they anticipate a deep playoff run where they will miss a lot of classes in February / March. I am guessing this is a factor with the Alberta players.

3) Location. As I mentioned above, the entire round robin is in two small, non-descript towns in Upstate New York. Not Kazhakstan or Italy. Upstate New York. I get the reluctance of some athletes to fork over $1000 and miss three weeks of school so they can hang out in Canton, NY. I get it.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Three things to keep in mind for FISU:

1) Travel costs. Depending on the Athletic Department, students may have to pay for some or all of their own travel to/from FISU. I know this has been the case with UManitoba players. I can't blame guys for not wanting to fork out $1000 just to travel to upstate New York.

2) Academics. Missing the first three weeks of the semester can put the guys in a tough position academically, especially if they anticipate a deep playoff run where they will miss a lot of classes in February / March. I am guessing this is a factor with the Alberta players.

3) Location. As I mentioned above, the entire round robin is in two small, non-descript towns in Upstate New York. Not Kazhakstan or Italy. Upstate New York. I get the reluctance of some athletes to fork over $1000 and miss three weeks of school so they can hang out in Canton, NY. I get it.
All 3 points you make are very valid.
Canada will never have the "best" team available at FISU because of these and other factors.
Do what I do.
Enjoy the games, regardless of the result.
Feel happy for the players that were picked and are playing for their country.

Reactions: MiamiHockeyII

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Aus Fan has always been the voice of reason for me!! I was tossing and turning wondering about why only 2 of the top 10 scoring forwards from CW were selected( the sask and man kids are solid but MRU pair are having another record year, must be in pre med), then i read AUS FAN's post and it all made sense!
Awkward time to slot in the FISU event.
Great stuff on here as per usual. gentlemen!!
Thanks for the kind words.
I hope things are well with you.
I know you're not a prolific poster, but your voice should be heard more from CW, if nothing else as a buffer from Bob.

Last edited:

dale1919

Dec 14, 2022
Thanks for the kind words.
I hope things are well with you.
I know you're not a prolific poster, but your voice should be heard more from CW, if nothing else as a buffer from Bob.
hey
No USSR or Kazakhstan!
should be clear sailing!!

Reactions: AUS Fan

Carleton

Dec 17, 2022
Surprised Macdougall didn't go, I think he has been UNB's top player this year.
97’s aren’t eligible, age restriction in effect. From a “The Guardian” article quoting GMac. Lajeunnesse of PEI a more glaring omission because of this reason.

Reactions: AUS Fan

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
For those wondering, there will not be a FISU camp. Players will meet in Ottawa and bus to Potsdam ( about a 2 hr drive ).

They have 2 days before their 1 st game, so you could "assume" at least 2 or perhaps 3 practices.

The players still have to do paperwork and stuff, get moved in, etc.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
FYI: There is an Amazon app called FISU TV where you can watch the events.

It's free.

I'm not going to describe how to install it, but I have it installed on my Firestick and was able to watch archive stuff and can see the upcoming games.

Hopefully it will work as well on Thursday. I would suggest getting it installed on whatever device you use and give it a test flight before game time Thursday.

There is a registration (name, email, password) but no money changed hands.

Thanks to Island Husky for the heads up.

Google is your friend. All you need to know is found there.

Edit: I just searched on Google, found the link and can watch on my laptop also.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad