Prospect Info: 2023 draft thread: Sharks tank miss, now we’ll get Smith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Interestingly, think I heard somewhere the sharks Russian scout is in the Ukraine. Was that your pod with Sheng and Marchant @Kcoyote3?
Yeah he lives there. Didn’t get much more info than that about his connection with the Russian prospects though. Michkov was the talk of the town at the prospect media availability though. Every reporter was asking all the other prospects about him…during their interviews. Super awkward. Like why would Will Smith have any information on Michkov’s situation lol. Felt like trying to bait the kid into a bad answer.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Yeah he lives there. Didn’t get much more info than that about his connection with the Russian prospects though. Michkov was the talk of the town at the prospect media availability though. Every reporter was asking all the other prospects about him…during their interviews. Super awkward. Like why would Will Smith have any information on Michkov’s situation lol. Felt like trying to bait the kid into a bad answer.

I find many hockey reporters to be really bad at the whole “reporting” part so they end up asking really bizarre questions.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

It would be wild to end up with Carlsson.

…that said, while Carlsson sounds awesome and like a great 2C at absolute worst, I’m kind of more into taking a risk on Smith or Michkov — purely because I love how potentially exciting they are as players. Carlsson feels like the same player the Sharks have drafted for the last 20 years. I’d love to see a new type of guy on the team.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
…that said, while Carlsson sounds awesome and like a great 2C at absolute worst, I’m kind of more into taking a risk on Smith or Michkov — purely because I love how potentially exciting they are as players. Carlsson feels like the same player the Sharks have drafted for the last 20 years. I’d love to see a new type of guy on the team.
I've said it before, but the way I see Carlsson is that he's the player that Tim Burke always saw in certain players but real this time

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I worry Carlsson becomes prime Hertl which is a great player but not a cup winning 1C.

Meanwhile Michkov can be like Kucherov.

I still would not be upset passing on Michkov for Carlsson.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
I do like the idea of having a bunch of 6-2 and larger centers who are all defensively sound. That is a good way to build a team down the middle.
I think MG is trying to make this team very hard to play against, by getting size. I hope it works like the way it worked for Vegas and St.Louis (that I hate with all my heart, but would love Sharks to be that)

Reactions: Sendhelplease

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA

I’m with you. But if they’re gonna go the risk route then take Michkov and don’t think twice. If they want a safer pick and Carlsson’s available, then take him.

Reactions: Jargon

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I worry Carlsson becomes prime Hertl which is a great player but not a cup winning 1C.

Hertl is probably Carlsson's floor or at least on the lower end of his range of outcomes. The only first time draft eligibles who were more productive than Carlsson in the SHL were the Sedins, Elias Lindholm and Nick Backstrom. And only the Sedins scored more playoff points in their draft year.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020

The way I see it, Hertl is around the 50th percentile outcome for Carlsson. His 99th percentile is Barkov. Michkov's 99th percentile outcome is Kucherov and his 50th percentile outcome is around Jordan Kyrou (I am not sure if he is a good example but he is who I thought of off the top of my head) and you can't go wrong with either player.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

And neither of them are winning Cups on their own. Kucherov without Hedman, Point, Vasy, Stamkos, etc. doesn't win a Cup. There is no such thing as a Cup winning player. Not even the greatest player of our lifetime in Connor McDavid is a Cup winning player based on the fact that as good as he's been (best to ever do it), he still has not even won a game in the conference finals (8 years into his career).

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Smith just seems like he could be wildly exciting to watch. Intellectually, I think Carlsson’s the better choice — Carlsson - Hertl - Bystedt down the middle sounds like an absolute nightmare to play against… but emotionally, Smith/Michkov just seem so fun to watch.

Reactions: themelkman

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
Carlsson drops to 6, we pick Leonard. book it.
Do not even dare say something like this!

My preference is Carlsson/Smith or trade down and then draft Leonard/Benson and Reinbacher.

Between Carlsson and Smith it is difficult to say which I want more. Carlsson seems just so sure thing to be at least top 6 center but Smith would be such a fun player to watch if he hits his projection and I really would love to see flashy centers in our roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad