Prospect Info: 2023 draft thread: Sharks tank miss, now we’ll get Smith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
Wheeler’s (originally said Pronman, oops) latest mock has the Sharks taking Carlsson after CBJ takes Smith. Also mentioned that his sources believe the Sharks are the most likely team out of the top 5 to take Michkov. Can’t wait for the draft!
I can’t wait for crushing disappointment which is what it is like to be a life long Sharks fan.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Grier playing poker, I love it. Hopefully he knocks this draft out of the park.
Good for Grier not to say anything. Obviously they met with him. It would be organizational malpractice if they did not but nothing good comes from talking about it.

Lower teams can say how much they like him (aka Nashville) because they are not in the position to draft him. Grier keeping his cards close to his vest is good.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Good for Grier not to say anything. Obviously they met with him. It would be organizational malpractice if they did not but nothing good comes from talking about it.

Lower teams can say how much they like him (aka Nashville) because they are not in the position to draft him. Grier keeping his cards close to his vest is good.
Or they’re just not interested in drafting him which seems like the more likely explanation.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

With the amount of desperate teams around looking to trade up to 4, it's smarter of him to be as stoic as he possibly can.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Or they’re just not interested in drafting him which seems like the more likely explanation.

I’d say it’s 50/50. Seems really unlikely not to go interview him even if he’s not a viable pick at 4; a team could offer a huge amount to move up. Then maybe you’re willing to take him later, or Karlsson trade nets a pick that could be used on him.

It’s possible they have him on the dnd list but that seems unlikely. I will say, if he is on the dnd, and SJ didn’t interview him, no comment is the right comment.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I’d say it’s 50/50. Seems really unlikely not to go interview him even if he’s not a viable pick at 4; a team could offer a huge amount to move up. Then maybe you’re willing to take him later, or Karlsson trade nets a pick that could be used on him.

It’s possible they have him on the dnd list but that seems unlikely. I will say, if he is on the dnd, and SJ didn’t interview him, no comment is the right comment.
Bingo. Obviously I don't have any inside information but I would bet this is the case.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Bingo. Obviously I don't have any inside information but I would bet this is the case.
Seems weird to not at least talk to the guy even if you are like 99.9% sure you aren't taking them. Are teams allowed to ask who a player has spoken to previously?

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I just don’t see it. There is no rush to win now, Grier has had no issues with Russian players so far (you could even say he is one of the more Russian friendly GMs so far). Nothing would indicate he is on the DND list for them. I get not wanting to get hopes up for the generational winger with the 4th pick but I personally think he is a perfect fit for everything Grier has done so far.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
If Montreal wants Smith, Grier is wise not to say anything about Michkov. If everyone else wants Michkov, Grier is wise not to say anything about Michkov.

The fact that all you have is gut instinct is what Grier wants.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Seems weird to not at least talk to the guy even if you are like 99.9% sure you aren't taking them. Are teams allowed to ask who a player has spoken to previously?

I took it as a tongue in cheek comment. It would be idiotic not to talk to Michkov, even if you’re 99.9% sure you don’t want him.
If he's truly on their DND list, what's the point honestly? It would just be a waste of everyone's time. There really isn't much to be gained by Grier refusing to confirm they interviewed him if they actually did. No comment makes way more sense if they didn't.

SJsharks

Apr 17, 2007
Dont worry about it
I’m pretty sure Grier previously said something to the effect of they’d be interested in talking to Michkov in person once he arrived in Nashville but I don’t recall exactly where that was. So if that’s true then it definitely seems like a play to put out as little info as possible.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
If he's truly on their DND list, what's the point honestly? It would just be a waste of everyone's time. There really isn't much to be gained by Grier refusing to confirm they interviewed him if they actually did. No comment makes way more sense if they didn't.
How would you even know whether or not to put him on a DND list without talking to him? From all reports, no one has been able to talk to him all year or see him play live. Forming an opinion solely based on video and rumors only would be absolutely idiotic.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I just don’t see it. There is no rush to win now, Grier has had no issues with Russian players so far (you could even say he is one of the more Russian friendly GMs so far). Nothing would indicate he is on the DND list for them. I get not wanting to get hopes up for the generational winger with the 4th pick but I personally think he is a perfect fit for everything Grier has done so far.
Contract uncertainty, alleged character concerns, small one-way winger...I could definitely see the Sharks not wanting anything to do with him. Grier has acquired Russians but Mukhamadullin, Okhotyuk and even Svechnikov are completely different players than Michkov.

Reactions: hockeyCEO

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I’m pretty sure Grier previously said something to the effect of they’d be interested in talking to Michkov in person once he arrived in Nashville but I don’t recall exactly where that was. So if that’s true then it definitely seems like a play to put out as little info as possible.
I remember hearing the same thing. This just strikes me as Grier not trying to show any hands.

Reactions: landshark

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
How would you even know whether or not to put him on a DND list without talking to him? From all reports, no one has been able to talk to him all year or see him play live. Forming an opinion solely based on video and rumors only would be absolutely idiotic.
That was what I was getting at. Unless they know something from a scout or connection, seems irresponsible to not at least take an hour to chat with the guy and confirm what you already think

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I don't disagree but they do have a scout based in Russia who is probably pretty plugged in and has seen Michkov play live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad