Pre-Game Talk: 2023 Draft Discussion

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Here are the articles I wrote during the draft. Sorry I didn't paste them here - I was sorta waiting for individual threads to be made and I was just keeping up with updating our lists.

Jakub Dvorak: LA Kings Select Jakub Dvorak No. 54 – What You Need to Know

Koehn Ziemmer: LA Kings Select Koehn Ziemmer No. 78 – What You Need to Know

Hampton Slukynsky: LA Kings Select Hampton Slukynsky No. 118 – What You Need to Know

Matthew Mania: LA Kings Select Matthew Mania No. 150 – What You Need to Know

Ryan Conmy: LA Kings Select Ryan Conmy No. 182 – What You Need to Know
Those were your write-ups? I read those and they were good info

Reactions: King'sPawn

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Kings got their goalie RJ in Slukynsky, and in the typical 4-5th round spot. Maybe someone pointed out the lack of any goalie prospects to Blake this year.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Here are the articles I wrote during the draft. Sorry I didn't paste them here - I was sorta waiting for individual threads to be made and I was just keeping up with updating our lists.

Jakub Dvorak: LA Kings Select Jakub Dvorak No. 54 – What You Need to Know

Koehn Ziemmer: LA Kings Select Koehn Ziemmer No. 78 – What You Need to Know

Hampton Slukynsky: LA Kings Select Hampton Slukynsky No. 118 – What You Need to Know

Matthew Mania: LA Kings Select Matthew Mania No. 150 – What You Need to Know

Ryan Conmy: LA Kings Select Ryan Conmy No. 182 – What You Need to Know
Great job @King’sPawn thank you.

I particularly liked: Ziemmer is also an IV drip of (often unpenalized) violence (Elite Prospects)

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
What do you think of the draft for the kings 1-10?
I have mixed feelings.

The Dvorak pick I honestly need to see more of him, especially with how high he was taken. I don't want to call it "bad" but overall, he's the type of player whose game is not yet defined despite all his tools. I can't call it good, either.

Ziemmer I am absolutely hyped about. I wanted him at 54 and was disappointed the Kings passed on him then. I thought he'd go late in the first. I'm not sure if he'll ever become a top-six power forward, but he's an NHLer with his swagger and style of play.

Slukynsky is a goalie who will take a lot of time. I was hoping Suchanek would be the goalie they take, but that's more on me for not following high school hockey that much. Can't hate a 28-1-1 record at any level, but I've not seen any footage of him.

Mania; I think people nailed it. Reads a lot like Durzi, and he was a second round pick. Getting someone like him in the 5th? Cool. I'm pretty sure I have some footage of him, so I look forward to trying to watch him more.

Ryan Conmy, I'm ambivalent. He's someone who manages to score despite not having the best toolbox. He's one of the players who could surprise like Kenny Connors or he could plod along like Jared Wright. But for a 6th-round pick? Not really anything you should expect much out of.

So, out of 10, I'd give it a 7. One pick I feel they hit it out of the park. The rest have question marks. But without a 1st round pick, and only 5 picks total, they could have done a lot worse.

Those were your write-ups? I read those and they were good info
Thank you! I appreciate that!

Great job @King’sPawn thank you.

I particularly liked: Ziemmer is also an IV drip of (often unpenalized) violence (Elite Prospects)
So, bit of a story - a couple of these articles I wrote ahead of time (the past few nights up to 1 AM, specifically), to make sure the information was available as soon as possible and to minimize waiting time. I wrote I think a total of 45 articles and would delete them as soon as a player was taken.

We have a pretty standard format of our articles - which includes the scouting reports. I used 5 sources (Elite Prospects, Draft Prospects Hockey, Hockey Prospect, Future Considerations, and McKeen's), but to keep it as balanced as possible, I rotate which sources I use in the article; as you can see, we only use 3 reports per. This gives people a good foundation of information, but not too much, and it gives Hoven space to update it with tweets and interviews (so I encourage you to check back on them).

I still read what was written about some of them from multiple sources just to get a general idea and to give Hoven some material.

Anyway, I HAD to start with Ziemmer with my rotation to make sure that line from Elite Prospects was there, because it was so ****ing good, and it was the most entertaining line read about, well, anyone. So, once I had my first one picked, I was able to continue with my random rotation.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Don't know much about the players in this draft but the Dvorak and Ziemmer picks sound good to me. In addition, both are physical so that's good.

Reactions: Kingsfan1

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Maybe we’ll rush Ziemmer to the NHL like we did with Clifford. His profile reads similarly, that’s for sure. Cliffy probably could’ve used another development year, but his heart and physicality made him stick and into a champion.

Also, thanks @King’sPawn!

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Ziemmer must wear #13 in honor of Kings legend John Zeiler.
YES!! The pic is still out there!!

1688073438437.png

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Dang been so behind with the draft crazy busy lately, but heard we drafted a left handed Helge Grans. Nice.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
I have mixed feelings.

The Dvorak pick I honestly need to see more of him, especially with how high he was taken. I don't want to call it "bad" but overall, he's the type of player whose game is not yet defined despite all his tools. I can't call it good, either.

Ziemmer I am absolutely hyped about. I wanted him at 54 and was disappointed the Kings passed on him then. I thought he'd go late in the first. I'm not sure if he'll ever become a top-six power forward, but he's an NHLer with his swagger and style of play.

Slukynsky is a goalie who will take a lot of time. I was hoping Suchanek would be the goalie they take, but that's more on me for not following high school hockey that much. Can't hate a 28-1-1 record at any level, but I've not seen any footage of him.

Mania; I think people nailed it. Reads a lot like Durzi, and he was a second round pick. Getting someone like him in the 5th? Cool. I'm pretty sure I have some footage of him, so I look forward to trying to watch him more.

Ryan Conmy, I'm ambivalent. He's someone who manages to score despite not having the best toolbox. He's one of the players who could surprise like Kenny Connors or he could plod along like Jared Wright. But for a 6th-round pick? Not really anything you should expect much out of.

So, out of 10, I'd give it a 7. One pick I feel they hit it out of the park. The rest have question marks. But without a 1st round pick, and only 5 picks total, they could have done a lot worse.

Thank you! I appreciate that!

So, bit of a story - a couple of these articles I wrote ahead of time (the past few nights up to 1 AM, specifically), to make sure the information was available as soon as possible and to minimize waiting time. I wrote I think a total of 45 articles and would delete them as soon as a player was taken.

We have a pretty standard format of our articles - which includes the scouting reports. I used 5 sources (Elite Prospects, Draft Prospects Hockey, Hockey Prospect, Future Considerations, and McKeen's), but to keep it as balanced as possible, I rotate which sources I use in the article; as you can see, we only use 3 reports per. This gives people a good foundation of information, but not too much, and it gives Hoven space to update it with tweets and interviews (so I encourage you to check back on them).

I still read what was written about some of them from multiple sources just to get a general idea and to give Hoven some material.

Anyway, I HAD to start with Ziemmer with my rotation to make sure that line from Elite Prospects was there, because it was so ****ing good, and it was the most entertaining line read about, well, anyone. So, once I had my first one picked, I was able to continue with my random rotation.
Dvorak would've been1st rounder if not for injury. So many inferior d's picked before him in 1st and 2nd round. Huge body, physical, high-end defensive IQ and great skater. He is going to be ready for the show sooner than many of you think. He has pro experience and is very refined in his own end. His ceiling is high end shut down bottom pair defenceman, if he improves his offense top4 D

Last edited:

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
If Dvorak had a broken collarbone, then i can personally attest to that being a problem for him last year. I fractured my collar bone when i was 17 and stupidly thought it was fine 3 weeks later and started to do some activity. Which promptly lead me to a complete/clean break. That was a LOT of pain -- just breathing hurt. It was about 4 months before i was good again -- but it took me like 6-8 more months to mentally feel ok to go full blast.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad