Pre-Game Talk: 2023 Draft Discussion

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It's the day before the lottery, and while that by itself doesn't impact the Kings directly, I figure now would be as good a time as any to have a repository for discussing the upcoming draft.

The Kings currently have 5 picks. Hopefully there will be more as they make a trade or two (and trades are all but necessary, as the Kings are in danger of being over the cap).

These are their current picks:

No first or 7th round pick, and the third (No. 78) is from Pittsburgh as a result of the Jeff Carter trade.

Dates of the Draft are June 28 (first round) and June 29 (second-seventh round).

I am also going to be writing articles soon for MayorsManor and will post them in this thread. I am trying to do a little extra this season by making sure there's video as much as possible, as I've recorded a few games around the world... though obviously I didn't get as much as I hoped. Looking forward to doing it more frequently and better preparing. Been years since I made videos myself. Keep in mind I don't make highlight videos.

I will also post videos of some players. A lot of it, honestly, is guesswork as far as whether or not they are on the Kings radar. Draft prep usually involves several meetings and the Kings definitely don't have their draft list finalized. So, I can't guarantee my videos will be of players the Kings will take, but you can make a safe guess that I will be writing articles on these players, regardless of whether or not I see them as a fit. At least, that's the goal.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Carson Rehkopf - Kitchener Rangers forward (teammate of Kings prospect Francesco Pinelli, and you'll watch they play on the Powerplay together in this game)

Long story short, I think this dude has a high floor. I don't think he'll necessarily be a star, although his sniping ability has been lauded for quite some time. But he has good size, he engages physically, and has good straight-line speed especially for his size. I don't think he's much of a dangler, and he's not much of a mover east-west. But I like that he's applying some basic fundamentals of puck movement and minimizing his processing time before moving the puck.

Reactions: kings11 and Lt Dan

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Adam Gajan - Slovakia goalie. He played last season in the USHL for the Green Bay Gamblers and is committed next season to the University of Minnesota-Duluth.

This was a very intriguing goalie, to me. He has very good size (6'3), but when I was watching him play, I saw some similarities to Jonathan Quick (please note I'm not projecting that kind of career). He gets low a lot, showed some moments of overcommitment, but shows very good lateral movement even when not upright. At times very scrambly, and you'll see how the defense bailed him out in certain spots.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I expect to get another couple of 2nds/3rds with the waiver eligibles.

I kind of expect them to take G Hrabal or Augustine with one of those picks.

There's also a few interesting guys they could move up 10 spots for or hope for a drop, like Quentin Musty, Charlie Stramel, Alex Ciernet, Danii But

In my mocks at 55 I continually land on Noah Dower Nilsson and Anton Wahlberg

Seems like there's a big dman gap after the end of the 1st. Intersted to look more into Jakob Dvorak.

Last edited:

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
What’s the point?
8A621362-050F-4AA2-9C1E-3737E9E22374.jpeg

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If Roy or Arvidsson gets traded, it's possible we may have a 1st or some 2nds.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Id like to think we're due a little luck in the draft
Eventually things even out... right? RIGHT?

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Anyone but the Sharks, Ducks or Hawks or really any western team. Just have him go to any eastern team and I'll be fine

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
So next years draft then?
It won’t matter, Blake will for sure trade next years 1st at the TDL if the team is anywhere close to the playoff fringe, because his job depends on the team making, and probably winning a round.

He’s already traded two firsts and an elite prospect. Why care about future assets now.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
So far in order... Hopefully not the Ducks. Don't want to have to play Bedard and Zegras that many times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad