Series Discussion 2023 Dallas Stars Playoffs Discussion | Western Conference Finals vs. Vegas Golden Knights | VGK Leads 3-2

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I say play Lundkvist. Who gives a shit. It's not like the guys playing D are doing well. Give him a game for the experience. There's no downside.

I really don't understand why Dallas didn't continue rolling with Lindell-Lundkvist. They were totally fine together (54 percent expected goal share) and didn't mess up the combo symmetry. Yea sure DeBoer wasn't digging Lindkivist's game, but to just up and decide that Lindell-Hakanpaa were good enough in a league of playdriving defenseman is just plain bizarre.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
DeBoer must just have something against him. With how bad the defense has been, it's kind of insane that more hasn't been tried defensively.

And the scariest thing is I don't see much of it changing next season. The personnel will all be the same.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Gm of the year has to do with this year not the overall tenure.
His moves this year
Signing Marchment -he's been bad, if he does better next year good on him. But in the context of this year it's bad.
Signing Miller -He's been bad.
Trading for Lundkvist -No AHL eligibility, 60gp then scratched for Joel Hanley at the cost of a 1st and 4th. that's bad.
Gave away Peterson for nothing - meh.

He made 2 additional moves, his only good moves this year
Turned Gurianov into a productive player in Dadonov, and to give full credit, this is a stroke of genius, finally undoes a colossal drafting mistake
Got Domi for 2nd.

So, you're saying his gm of the year finalist is based of 2 good moves that happened with 20 games left in the year? Because outside of Deboer who did more with the roster than i would have expected, there's not a lot of good moves
Whatever the official rules are, I am pretty sure many people have been nominated and some have won awards as sort of a lifetime achievement award. Humans are humans and the vote can be emotion driven above pure facts. If you want facts, his team was better than all but 3 this year, when expected to struggle to make the playoffs.

You are what your record says you are, and the Stars have been pretty good. His moves must have been better than most others.

You can analyze his moves any way you want, and your way is to trash the crap out of him, but when people who really know hockey (not you, not me) decide any Dallas Star is worthy of attention, and say they did something good, I accept it without feeling the need to go on trashing my team.

Reactions: redbeardtx and LT

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
DeBoer must just have something against him. With how bad the defense has been, it's kind of insane that more hasn't been tried defensively.

And the scariest thing is I don't see much of it changing next season. The personnel will all be the same.
He did the same thing with Adam Larsson when he was with NJ.
There's probably still a ton of articles talking about him benching Larsson for no good reason. Not that Lundkvist was without his defensive issues at times

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
If you want facts, his team was better than all but 3 this year
Where did you come up with this? They had the 8th best record.
if you're talking PO results (these awards are voted on before the playoffs) there is still no way to quantify that the Stars are better than all but 3 teams.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Last year the vote on GM of the year occurred June 21, and like this year, the candidates were announced after the second round of the playoffs. It might be different this year. You may have different info, but whether you say 8th regular season or 3 based on playoff results, the facts remain that someone who knows more about hockey than you do thinks Nill was worth at least a nomination, for whatever reason. That said, I agree with you (or whatever other poster said it) that I doubt he is the odds-on favorite to win it, and probably shouldn't be.

I still cringe when I think of Hitch not being nominated for Coach of the Year after improving the Stars by 38 points, and giving it to Ted Nolan who was lauded for improving the Sabres by 19 points. So, I'll take him even being nominated as a good sign that the Stars are getting some respect. Also, any award is given mostly to gain publicity for the NHL (or whatever sponsoring organization puts it up) If it was all pure logic, you might be right, but it isn't. I mean, how many things has the NHL done that were perfectly logical?

Feb 4, 2017
Stockholm
Dont mess with these lines!! Good hustle, good grinding. Excactly the type of play that is needed this time of the year

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Top Line, then:

Benn-Johnston-Seguin
Kiviranta-Domi-Dellandrea
Marchment-Faksa-Glendenning

Give Marchment a chance as a checking line forward. Oloffson has been good, but only played 10 mins tonight, Marchment can hopefully do same for 10 mins in Game 6.

Given how well they just played you can't break up Domis line.

Benn back with Wyatt

Reactions: DieselPig and olli

northstars

May 11, 2016
Saskatchewan
This would be the right decision. Freddy and Glendening both do nothing for this squad offensively. You’re down two offensive players so you call up one of your best offensive prospects to fill that spot and let Glendening center the 4th line again.
This comment didn't age well.

Blindsummit

Jun 3, 2017
Alberta
Haven't been able to watch the last 2 games live due to Sportsnet being region blocked in Mexico. Just watched the highlights and boy oh boy are those ESPN commentators butt hurt. Their palpable lack of enthusiasm on the Stars goals was something. May we continue to darken their days!

Reactions: redbeardtx

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
wen bork

58eyvu.png

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
Top Line, then:

Benn-Johnston-Seguin
Kiviranta-Domi-Dellandrea
Marchment-Faksa-Glendenning

Give Marchment a chance as a checking line forward. Oloffson has been good, but only played 10 mins tonight, Marchment can hopefully do same for 10 mins in Game 6.

Given how well they just played you can't break up Domis line.

Benn back with Wyatt
That is a ton of pressure on Johnston to defend and cover up the bad defense of Benn and Seguin.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Why wouldn't you just reunite the line that played half the season together and graded out extremely well in Benn-WJ-Dellandrea?

Reactions: Blindsummit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad