Series Discussion 2023 Dallas Stars Playoffs Discussion | Western Conference Finals vs. Vegas Golden Knights | VGK Leads 3-2

redbeardtx

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
Dadonov as well with how Vegas did him dirty

Miller is also a former player for Vegas
The Dadonov situation was wild. Don't think I've seen anything like that before.

Plus I think NHL fans as a whole are still pissed about how they f***ed over Fleury, one of the most likeable guys in the league. They went from Cinderella team that people were rooting for to dirty cutthroat back stabbers in like 2 years. Hopefully Seattle doesn't turn into that.

Reactions: LT

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
The Dadonov situation was wild. Don't think I've seen anything like that before.

Plus I think NHL fans as a whole are still pissed about how they f***ed over Fleury, one of the most likeable guys in the league. They went from Cinderella team that people were rooting for to dirty cutthroat back stabbers in like 2 years. Hopefully Seattle doesn't turn into that.

Vegas' franchise as a whole has really taken to the culture of their home city.

Reactions: redbeardtx

redbeardtx

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
Vegas' franchise as a whole has really taken to the culture of their home city.
100%. I had higher hopes but damn, they went full scumbag real quick.

Really hope Seattle doesn't do the same but I doubt Ron Francis will go that route so it should be fine

serp

Jan 17, 2016
You only get so many chances . West and in general the whole playoffs have been incredidly wide open. I don't think this is the final form and best the Stars can be especially on defense but the chance is there for the team this year to win it. Make it count.

Now time to play the Knight. Let's see how Stars do when they have to start on the road.

Reactions: catters078 and LT

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
You only get so many chances . West and in general the whole playoffs have been incredidly wide open. I don't think this is the final form and best the Stars can be especially on defense but the chance is there for the team this year to win it. Make it count.

Now time to play the Knight. Let's see how Stars do when they have to start on the road.
Channeling your inner Ned Flanders? :sarcasm:

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
It's a function of the teams played against but the Stars have the lowest even strength xGA rate in the playoffs by a nice margin. There's a lot to like so far

Reactions: LT and Elysian

Jackattack030

Sep 29, 2020
Gut says Vegas in 6 heart says Stars in 7.
Keys (state the obvious)
Otter needs to have his A game.
Robertson has to be productive and score. (he looked better games 5 and 7 stars won't survive vs Vegas unless they have scoring besides Hintz, Pavelski, and Johnson)
Can't make mistakes on defense they made vs Seattle.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I think it is a real toss up. Probably 7 games again. Unless we get one of those series where the team that loses game 1, or some early game in dramatic fashion just sort of gives up a tad. I think the Stars are mentally tough enough to not do that. I don't follow Vegas enough to know if they are "fragile" as the Stars were once thought to be.

Overall, I feel like the Stars will win and then lose in the Finals, but that is just a gut feeling. No matter what happens, we semi-officially "went deep in the playoffs" now that we made the WCF. As fans, we should be happy and celebrate we got this far, and if it ends next round, it was still a successful season. Winning another round would be the icing on the cake, and taking the cup would be the cherry on top. If it works out like I just predicted, I also wonder how it affects Nill's legacy, i.e., would this board ever give him a break, LOL. But, as mentioned, now is not the time to talk future or past, just the present, baby!

Go Stars!

Reactions: Blindsummit

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
I say Dallas in 6. I think Dallas matches up better against Vegas. Goaltending will be key. Vegas blocks a ton of shots but can Hill hold up? For that matter can the real Oettinger show up? Will be an interesting series.

I also think Robertson will get back on track.

Reactions: catters078

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Robertson looked like his normal regular season self for the most part last night tbh, just unlucky (hit another post too). I really liked his game and he's definitely getting close. We've bought him at least another 4 games, hope he can get one early to snap the drought.

Reactions: olli

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
Otter will get a shutout in one of the first 2 games
TBH, Our D depth doesn't feel good enough to help him shut a team out as often as he deserves. I just hope we can pivot when a team figures out how to forecheck our zone exits into oblivion when Miro isn't on the ice. That was really hard to watch.

Who is our forum 'capologist'? can we afford a domi/dadonov re-signing and still pull someone capable of helping miro? I don't see it: (capfriendly) does this assume we scoot away from Glendening? His FO's saved us in game 7.

Last edited:

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
TBH, Our D depth doesn't feel good enough to help him shut a team out as often as he deserves. I just hope we can pivot when a team figures out how to forecheck our zone exits into oblivion when Miro isn't on the ice. That was really hard to watch.

Who is our forum 'capologist'? can we afford a domi/dadonov re-signing and still pull someone capable of helping miro? I don't see it: (capfriendly) does this assume we scoot away from Glendening? His FO's saved us in game 7.
Is it possible? yes. It's very unlikely

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Seems more likely the defensive reinforcement have to come from within the stars system.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Vegas aren't as fast as Seattle. Higher end skill for sure, but I think Dallas' system is built to be able to limit high end skill vs having trouble with fast transition teams like Seattle.

I felt Seattle were a bit slower last night, and being a touch off didn't allow their forecheck to prosper. Might have been a product of Back to Back Game 7s with minimal rest. As a result our structure really limited the forecheck and we exited the D zone so much better.

I feel we need to have Heiskanen or Harley on the ice for ideally 90% of a game. We know about Miro but Harley's zone exits, skating the puck up continues to be great. If one can be on the ice most of the game gives us a strong chance to limit this as a weakness of our D core

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The Stars last faced Vegas in the playoffs in the 2020 bubble. Here is who is playing for Vegas today who was on that 2020 team (going by their most recent lines).

Forwards
X - X - Marchessault
X - Stephenson - Stone
Smith - Karlsson - Roy
Carrier - X - X

Defense
Martinez - X
McNabb - Theodore
X - Whitecloud

Goalies
X
X

Now, let's do the same thing going the other direction. Here is who was playing for the Stars against Vegas in the bubble:

Forwards
X - Hintz - Pavelski
X - X - Seguin
Benn - X - X
Kiviranta - Faksa - X

Defense
X - Heiskanen
Lindell - X
X - Hanley

Goalies
X
Oettinger