WJC: 2023 Czech Team

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Looks like Czechs are starting to look at the U20 squad. Big name on their being Sale who should make the team. Rest are mostly filler from what I can see. Jakub Dvorak 'might' crack out D.

A few AHL guys will be worth following - Jiricek and Kulich as they may (or may not) be in the NHL at that time. They'd be huge for us if available.

I assume Hamara, Jiricek, Svozil and Spacek are locks. Maybe Moravec and Dvorak join them? Tichachek? Alscher? Cech?

Forwards won't have Mysak or Gut back. It'll be a weaker crew for sure. Sale, Kulich, Sapo, Strutz, Brabanec, Hauser, Kos come to mind.

Goalies.. curious if Hrabal gets an invite?

Reactions: tunnelvision

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
It will basically be the the August WJC squad minus Myšák, Gut, plus Šalé. Kulich, Šapovaliv, Szturc are likely to be the forward leaders, Jiříček the D leader (I assume he won't stick in the NHL yet). Given that the August tournament team didn't look bad at all playing mostly older opponents, this may be the best Czech team in several years. In particular, Kulich is looking pretty good in the AHL.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It will basically be the the August WJC squad minus Myšák, Gut, plus Šalé. Kulich, Šapovaliv, Szturc are likely to be the forward leaders, Jiříček the D leader (I assume he won't stick in the NHL yet). Given that the August tournament team didn't look bad at all playing mostly older opponents, this may be the best Czech team in several years. In particular, Kulich is looking pretty good in the AHL.
We only won 2 games in summer... lost 5 including Latvia.

Mysak made the All star team so that'll be tough to replace but a matured Kulich, healed Jiricek might be enough. Brabenec too. Sapo is looking great as Anti said.

However, I don't expect a medal.. would love a final 4 appearance again though.

No idea who the goalie is.. Suchanek and Hrabal? No idea

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice

Mysak made the All star team so that'll be tough to replace but a matured Kulich, healed Jiricek might be enough. Brabenec too. Sapo is looking great as Anti said.

They lost the Latvia game because they were not ready mentally, they believed they could just smash Latvia off - and no. Games vs. USA, FIN, SWE were all very close, only Canada was a different level. And they were basically a year younger team. I expect them to be better this winter.

Kulich is looking way better than Myšák in the AHL this year.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

What do you see as Hauser's role with this group? I know he had a big goal last summer but for the most part he was a spare forward.

It's tough to figure how he is progressing playing in the Czech second league.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
What do you see as Hauser's role with this group? I know he had a big goal last summer but for the most part he was a spare forward.

It's tough to figure how he is progressing playing in the Czech second league.
It was a hell of a goal! I may have spilt my drink after that unexpected shot.

He's probably bottom 6. It's very hard (impossible for me) to look at Czech prospect stats in Czech leagues and make a guess. Not many NHLers coming out of Czech2 though. His size probably got him drafted as a project.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
It was a hell of a goal! I may have spilt my drink after that unexpected shot.

He's probably bottom 6. It's very hard (impossible for me) to look at Czech prospect stats in Czech leagues and make a guess. Not many NHLers coming out of Czech2 though. His size probably got him drafted as a project.

That was my assumption but that's without having seen him play this season.

Figured with players moving on he might have a bigger role with the U20 team but don't know much about the younger Czech prospects- either in the CHL or in Czechia.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
That was my assumption but that's without having seen him play this season.

Figured with players moving on he might have a bigger role with the U20 team but don't know much about the younger Czech prospects- either in the CHL or in Czechia.
They said the U20 team has players with a chance of making the squad. I'm guessing maybe 4 or 5 guys from that group make it. No one from the U19 team.

Dvorak, Sale, Hauser, Kos and Tichachek are my guesses.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Projected lineups anybody?
No idea personally and Czech federation always does silly things... We finished in final 4 in summer but, realistically, won 2 games and lost 5. Jiricek was not himself (he definitely is now) and that didn't help.

Here are the names I expect to see:

Kulich, Sale, Sturcz, Kos, Hauser, Sapovalov, Stancl, Rysavy, Brabenec, zidlicky (not enough of anything tbh)

Jiricek, Svozil, Hamara, Spacek, Alscher, Dvorak, Cech, Tihacek (if this happens, that is a rock solid D core that can pass, shoot and defend - also, experienced as only Dvorak hasn't played at this level)

Suchanek, Hrabal (there are definitely a handful of drafted goalies available.. not sure which one will be included, not even sure if Hrabal gets the call but he's a projected 1st rounder)

Our only hope for success is that our undrafted players (Sale, Dvorack,Hrabal) are better than our drafted ones and can really step up. Our other fear is that Kulich and Jiricek are in the NHL and can't go (unlikely but a possibility).

outside chances are Jecho and Benak.. very unlikely!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
1669226359041.png

Czechs in Q - Brabenec and Spacek (!!!) are locks. I like Sprynar a lot but he's not exactly killing it.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
1669226665906.png

The OHL - Sapo is 'fine'. Hamara is a bit disapointing. Both are locks.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Like I say, I don't expect to medal. I'll watch every game to the end but our F's won't be impactful enough. Goalies should be fine and D should be great (so hopefully we aren't losing games 6-0 which is not uncommon).

If we're talking medal then our Goalie has to be elite.
Our D has to play to their standard
Sapo, Kulich, Sale need to have the games of their lives and outperform.

Good news - most the group is in tact and no major injuries right now

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
I agree with most of the players named. Some are clear locks, some are on the edge. I think that only Šalé will go from the year 05, the other players will have a very difficult position. Younger players are rarely trusted before the draft. Personally, I would give Štancl the best chance, he has always played very well in the national team, Šprynar may also have a chance, it's hard to say. The one I don't believe would make it into the lineup is Židlický, but who knows, that name can mean a lot.. From the defense, Dvořák is definitely there, but he has a very difficult position, Jiříček, Svozil, Hamara, Ticháček, Špaček will definitely be in front of him. Very likely also Czech, Alscher should get a chance, maybe even Moravec, Chabada...? In defense, we have a relatively luxurious position this year, unlike the attack, there is an overpressure of quality players. Well, in the attack, Melovský is also clearly talking about the nomination.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I agree with most of the players named. Some are clear locks, some are on the edge. I think that only Šalé will go from the year 05, the other players will have a very difficult position. Younger players are rarely trusted before the draft. Personally, I would give Štancl the best chance, he has always played very well in the national team, Šprynar may also have a chance, it's hard to say. The one I don't believe would make it into the lineup is Židlický, but who knows, that name can mean a lot.. From the defense, Dvořák is definitely there, but he has a very difficult position, Jiříček, Svozil, Hamara, Ticháček, Špaček will definitely be in front of him. Very likely also Czech, Alscher should get a chance, maybe even Moravec, Chabada...? In defense, we have a relatively luxurious position this year, unlike the attack, there is an overpressure of quality players. Well, in the attack, Melovský is also clearly talking about the nomination.
Dvorak will probably be a 6/7 which is great. Big boy who can defend and will be happy 'just to be there'. Curious if Alscher makes it... plays in North America and good size but I don't think coaches are in love with him. If Jiricek is healthy and in form... I really like our D this time.

Who is the third guy on that line? Sprynar, Stancl and ???? I feel like that line always did very well.

I know nothing about Melovsky but his points look good.

Reactions: Goodman68

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Dvorak will probably be a 6/7 which is great. Big boy who can defend and will be happy 'just to be there'. Curious if Alscher makes it... plays in North America and good size but I don't think coaches are in love with him. If Jiricek is healthy and in form... I really like our D this time.

Who is the third guy on that line? Sprynar, Stancl and ???? I feel like that line always did very well.

I know nothing about Melovsky but his points look good.
Felcman, however, did not play nearly as well in the national team this season as he did last year. Yeah, I think Alscher is being overlooked for some reason, maybe he's a problem player. Although he played in the last tournament, we did not have a competitive team. But it will be a really tough fight for the nomination in the defense, there are a lot of players who come into consideration.

Reactions: Czechboy

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Formanek... What the heck ever happened to him eh? was really good a couple years ago. So hard to predict young players development in czech youth leagues..
I remember how I wrote at the very beginning of his representative career that this is a player who has no influence on the game in international hockey. Unfortunately.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Sounds like Sapousek is coming to CHL from Energie. Curious is Sale does the same?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00