WJC: 2023 Czech Team

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
1669576878127.png

Looking at the pools for the first time... we get the honor of being smoked by Canada in game 1. Those boxing day games can be massacres! I'd play the backup. Prey for no injuries to Jiricek again. Tournament starts on game 2 against Austria.

Other than qualifying... the big fear is if we are not Top 2 we most likely have US or FInland in quarters. I don't think we have the guns to upset Sweden or Canada. I'm not even sure we beat Germany who have a beautiful run on us right now with 3 wins in a row.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
View attachment 613626

Looking at the pools for the first time... we get the honor of being smoked by Canada in game 1. Those boxing day games can be massacres! I'd play the backup. Prey for no injuries to Jiricek again. Tournament starts on game 2 against Austria.

Other than qualifying... the big fear is if we are not Top 2 we most likely have US or FInland in quarters. I don't think we have the guns to upset Sweden or Canada. I'm not even sure we beat Germany who have a beautiful run on us right now with 3 wins in a row.
Undoubtedly, we will play in full lineup, including Jiříček, who I hope will play at a completely different level than last time, as we all wish :) Last time I didn't believe ours at all, but they surprised me. We looked far more competitive than I thought after years past. At the same time, the group of forwards was relatively weak on paper, we played above our conditions... I think we have to give credit to the implementation team. We will hope to continue in a similar spirit, no worries even before the tournament..

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Undoubtedly, we will play in full lineup, including Jiříček, who I hope will play at a completely different level than last time, as we all wish :) Last time I didn't believe ours at all, but they surprised me. We looked far more competitive than I thought after years past. At the same time, the group of forwards was relatively weak on paper, we played above our conditions... I think we have to give credit to the implementation team. We will hope to continue in a similar spirit, no worries even before the tournament..
We ended that tourney with 2 wins and 5 losses. I enjoyed the team and thought they did well... was surprised at Mysak as he was outstanding and carried the forwards. I'm a big Mysak fan but didn't think he was All Star team material before it started. I was clearly wrong.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
We ended that tourney with 2 wins and 5 losses. I enjoyed the team and thought they did well... was surprised at Mysak as he was outstanding and carried the forwards. I'm a big Mysak fan but didn't think he was All Star team material before it started. I was clearly wrong.
Yes, but I really considered the loss against Latvia to be a definite underestimation of the opponent, when our team was no longer at stake. And except for the first match against Canada, we were surprisingly good in every match. I was expecting a much worse performance.
Myšák was a pleasant surprise, he always disappointed in the national team. But in the AHL, he is struggling with competition, with which he has huge difficulties..
Edit: I'm not what I used to be, now I'm positive, at least in name..:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Yes, but I really considered the loss against Latvia to be a definite underestimation of the opponent, when our team was no longer at stake. And except for the first match against Canada, we were surprisingly good in every match. I was expecting a much worse performance.
Myšák was a pleasant surprise, he always disappointed in the national team. But in the AHL, he is struggling with competition, with which he has huge difficulties..
Edit: I'm not what I used to be, now I'm positive, at least in name..:D
nice handle!

He is struggling.. I figure he's at least 2 years from NHL if ever. It's a tremendous achievement to be in AHL at his age.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
nice handle!

He is struggling.. I figure he's at least 2 years from NHL if ever. It's a tremendous achievement to be in AHL at his age.
Kulich is two years younger, that's a really big success at his age, I'm a little afraid of Myšák if he'll ever really make it to the NHL... Maybe he'll end up as a good Euro player and go to the WCH every year:sarcasm:

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Kulich is two years younger, that's a really big success at his age, I'm a little afraid of Myšák if he'll ever really make it to the NHL... Maybe he'll end up as a good Euro player and go to the WCH every year:sarcasm:
He can join some of my favs that didn't make it... D. Kase, M. Spacek, F. Chlapik and D Masin. All guys I thought would make the NHL.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
View attachment 613626

Yeah the buzz in the arena will be tough for Czechs to play against. But I feel like 1st game against Canada vs last game of round robin against them is a better potential for close game. Canada always gets rolling as the tournament goes on.

I do think this team will be better than summers. All returning D and some decent pieces upfront.
Kulich is unreal and Sale could be a difference maker as well. Some good depth guys overall too.
As usual, special teams will need to be good to stay competitive. I like a PP with Jiricek, Kulich, Sale, Sapo, and Svozil/Spacek.

If we get all our guys (Kulich, Jiricek, Sapo etc..) I think we can be a medal contender.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
It's a shame, of course, he was among the candidates for the lineup. At the same time, it is true that we still have a wide selection in defense and nothing major has happened given the team's ambitions (I just hope that Jiříček et al. will all be available). Hopefully he will be fine soon, at least soon enough to make it to the WCH U18, there he is absolutely the key defender of the team..

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
It's a shame, of course, he was among the candidates for the lineup. At the same time, it is true that we still have a wide selection in defense and nothing major has happened given the team's ambitions (I just hope that Jiříček et al. will all be available). Hopefully he will be fine soon, at least soon enough to make it to the WCH U18, there he is absolutely the key defender of the team..
What is with good players always being hurt for us?lol.

It's his draft year and this will not help at all so that is a big problem. Same with Petr. Both guys have very bad luck.

Looking at just WJHC it is not tragic as he would've been 6/7 but from a draft year and development perspective.. it sucks!

I'm losing track... Jiricek at WJHC.. Novak this summer... Petr at U18... Hamara at U18... I feel like I'm missing a few other big ones too.

Reactions: Goodman68

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Svozil has played with tons of confidence recently in the WHL, he's got back-to-back 4 point games in Pats road trip. I like this version of him a lot more than the one I saw in summer WJC.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Jiříček is looking very good in the AHL. He is not yet ready for the NHL, which is understandable - he's just 19 y.o. defenseman. But he can be a real force at the WJC. The same applies to Kulich.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Svozil has played with tons of confidence recently in the WHL, he's got back-to-back 4 point games in Pats road trip. I like this version of him a lot more than the one I saw in summer WJC.

1669820147579.png

Back to back 4 point games? Wow! He is very high up in WHL D scoring... nice time to peak with tourney a month away. Hoping for good health for him, Hamara, Jiricek and Spacek... no injuries till 2023.

While I was digging... undrafted and small but doing very well:

1669820335863.png

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
View attachment 615018

Back to back 4 point games? Wow! He is very high up in WHL D scoring... nice time to peak with tourney a month away. Hoping for good health for him, Hamara, Jiricek and Spacek... no injuries till 2023.

While I was digging... undrafted and small but doing very well:

View attachment 615020

I am not surprised about Szturc. From what I heard about him when he was playing for Mladá Boleslav in CZE, he has got the right work ethic and attitude to the game. I believe he will continue his progress.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Sale really needs to leave Czech. Asap
Couldn't agree more...

Put another way.. name all the guys that went from Extraliga to NHL in the last decade? The only answer is Rutta. They also play on the big ice.

Just get him to a small rink where he can play 20 a night with 5 minutes of PP time and focus on becoming a Top 6 player and not a bottom 6 one in the 6th best league in the world. It was a fun experiment but a cautionary tale about staying in Extraliga as they are clueless on developing young talent. Necas and ????

I hear Barrie is lovely right after Xmas.lol

It sucks our best prospects keep leaving but I blame the Czechs on this.. Dostal, Pasta, Vrana, Skarek, Voracek.. just goes on forever.

Sapousek also left for the same reason (not that he's anything like a Sale).

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Couldn't agree more...

Put another way.. name all the guys that went from Extraliga to NHL in the last decade? The only answer is Rutta. They also play on the big ice.

Just get him to a small rink where he can play 20 a night with 5 minutes of PP time and focus on becoming a Top 6 player and not a bottom 6 one in the 6th best league in the world. It was a fun experiment but a cautionary tale about staying in Extraliga as they are clueless on developing young talent. Necas and ????

It sucks our best prospects keep leaving but I blame the Czechs on this.. Dostal, Pasta, Vrana, Skarek, Voracek.. just goes on forever.

Off the top of my head… Jiri Sekac? Lol
Is that more than 10 years ago now? I don’t even know aha. But yeah to your point, not many at all. Would love him on my 67’s!
All jokes aside, he’s a huge talent. It blows my mind that he gets such limited minutes. I’m really excited to see what he can do this winter at WJC. Hopefully he shines and solidifies himself as a top 5 pick.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Couldn't agree more...

Well that's not true.

Off the top of my head:

David Kampf
Karel Vejmelka
Tomas Hertl
Martin Necas
Filip Chytil

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Well that's not true.

Off the top of my head:

David Kampf
Karel Vejmelka
Tomas Hertl
Martin Necas
Filip Chytil
Apparently, it was meant to go directly to the NHL, without the player playing the first season in the AHL..

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Well that's not true.

Off the top of my head:

David Kampf
Karel Vejmelka
Tomas Hertl
Martin Necas
Filip Chytil
Kampf was close but AHL
Vejmelka did... my mistake, thank you!
Hertl did.. 9 years ago, I thought it was 10.. also my bad! Thank you
Necas... AHL
Chytil... AHL

So 3 guys in 10 years.. Hertl as a teenager, Rutta and Kampf as older and undrafted players.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Any news on the roster announcement?
Waiting patiently... curious who the big dumb omission will be this year.lol Czech federation makes some puzzling choices when it is usually very straightforward!

Guys I will be livid if I don't see on the final roster: Kulich, Jiricek, Svozil, Spacek, Hamara, Strutzc, Sale, Sapovaliv... I may be missing someone important but that is our core from what I can tell.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018

2 things from this...

Sounds like Jiricek should be going barring an injury
Our roster gets announced Monday, December 12th (not sure if tryouts or if they just name a team to be honest)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad