2023 Coaching Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Because he would be an internal hire. By definition.
By definition...yes. But people use the term here suggesting he is a CBJ system guy. I get that with Lars, he'd been in the CBJ family for something like ten years...that's an 'internal hire'. But Vincent...he's not a CBJ guy, the fact he was AC under Lars for two years should hardly pigeon-hole the guy.

If someone grew up in NYC and lived in NYC their whole life and then at the age of 30 moved to rural Alabama and lived there for two years, would you consider him a redneck?

Reactions: Jovavic and CBJx614

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Outside of how he applied himself to what he was told to do and how he went about it it is entirely unfair to say Vincent is not capable and will be a Lars clone. Just because he served under him makes him guilty of only following orders.. He will most definitely have his own way of doing things that he could not apply under the HC and his agenda. Anything he'd do to the contrary of what the HC asked of him would have been insubordination.

Vincent should be judged on what he's done under his own HC gigs.

How he'd do here is anyones guess...
Exactly. Larsen worked under Hitchcock, Richards and Torts, would we call him a clone of any of them?

I'm still optimistic about him if he gets the job, I would just be let down after getting my hopes about Brunette and Roy.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
By definition...yes. But people use the term here suggesting he is a CBJ system guy. I get that with Lars, he'd been in the CBJ family for something like ten years...that's an 'internal hire'. But Vincent...he's not a CBJ guy, the fact he was AC under Lars for two years should hardly pigeon-hole the guy.

If someone grew up in NYC and lived in NYC their whole life and then at the age of 30 moved to rural Alabama and lived there for two years, would you consider him a redneck?
There's a good chance that on certain things he may have bit his tongue, shrugged and did his best. He was a good soldier and most likely did as was asked. How much leeway he had, who knows?

Reactions: Doggy

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

The only reason he’s even under consideration is because he’s a CBJ assistant. He would not be considered by us for the HC position with his exact resume if he was an assistant on the Ducks instead of with us, and he’s not being considered by any other NHL team at the moment for their HC position. It would be an internal hire. Maybe it’d work out. I’m skeptical.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
The only reason he’s even under consideration is because he’s a CBJ assistant. He would not be considered by us for the HC position with his exact resume if he was an assistant on the Ducks instead of with us, and he’s not being considered by any other NHL team at the moment for their HC position. It would be an internal hire. Maybe it’d work out. I’m skeptical.
How do you know? Others teams are interviewing him for a HC position and he's interviewed for HC positions before he came to here...

Reactions: Viqsi and LJ7

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
How do you know? Others teams are interviewing him for a HC position and he's interviewed for HC positions before he came to here...

I do not believe he is/was being seriously considered (as in, a top-5 candidate) by any other team this cycle, even if he was interviewed at some point (some teams interview many, many candidates). No, I of course can’t prove that.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Because he would be an internal hire. By definition.

He's an internal hire but there's an interesting distinction between a guy who has been in the organization for many years and someone who was just brought here partly because he was a strong head coach candidate.

I don't agree. They almost hired Vincent last time. His name has popped up in coaching searches for years.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
He is? I've seen classic nothing-isms like "sooner rather than later" but nothing specific.

Were dates actually given or just hypothesized by media writers based on conjecture? I don't recall Jarmo saying a coach would be named on X date. I think he would have liked to have done it before going to Europe like was originally said but the situation is just fluid.
I haven't seen dates either.

Reactions: Monk

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
The question is, did Vincent have his vigorousness (don't know if righ word)how much of his advice did Larsen use. Well, and whether the big problem was that many players didn't respect Lars as a coach, which influenced the position of his assistants.
We don't know. However, usually the assistants around the league that get consideration as head coaches are not coming directly from teams that battled for the worst record in the league.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
He's an internal hire but there's an interesting distinction between a guy who has been in the organization for many years and someone who was just brought here partly because he was a strong head coach candidate.

I don't agree. They almost hired Vincent last time. His name has popped up in coaching searches for years.
Maybe they didn't want Vincent to be the sacrificial lamb? Why did he stick after Larsen failed? No guarantee a new coach will want him.
He's being considered here and whether or not he is with another franchise CBJ isn't going to comment on that. He has that clause and it really only becomes our business if he decides to depart.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Maybe they didn't want Vincent to be the sacrificial lamb? Why did he stick after Larsen failed? No guarantee a new coach will want him.
He's being considered here and whether or not he is with another franchise CBJ isn't going to comment on that. He has that clause and it really only becomes our business if he decides to depart.
Jarmo already said they never got the opportunity to interview him in person because of covid.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Jarmo already said they never got the opportunity to interview him in person because of covid.
I honestly fail to see why Zoom is an excuse for messing up an interview. Many jobs hire over Zoom. You can ask the same questions over Zoom that you can in person.

Seems like an excuse. Maybe Jarmo is a bad interviewer.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I honestly fail to see why Zoom is an excuse for messing up an interview. Many jobs hire over Zoom. You can ask the same questions over Zoom that you can in person.

It is 1000% not the same dealing with someone face to face vs behind a screen. Maybe its not his strongest area, we dont know but what I do know is sitting down with someone cant be replicated

pscbj80

Aug 1, 2020
Outside of how he applied himself to what he was told to do and how he went about it it is entirely unfair to say Vincent is not capable and will be a Lars clone. Just because he served under him makes him guilty of only following orders.. He will most definitely have his own way of doing things that he could not apply under the HC and his agenda. Anything he'd do to the contrary of what the HC asked of him would have been insubordination.

Vincent should be judged on what he's done under his own HC gigs.

How he'd do here is anyones guess...
And if he goes elsewhere and coaches well, the same people who don't want an internal hire will blame Jarmo for letting him get away. Same old HFboards logic.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

I don't know. I'd give him a chance at not considering him a standard obnoxious NYC POS.

The hatred of the South and rural inhabitants by some people is pathetic. It's actually quite hateful. Perhaps you need sensitivity training and some tolerance.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
It is 1000% not the same dealing with someone face to face vs behind a screen. Maybe its not his strongest area, we dont know but what I do know is sitting down with someone cant be replicated
It can be debatable but I still think it is an excuse. We live in a virtual world now. Using that excuse basically means the interview process was so inept that Larsen got the just just because he was already here and in person and not because he was the best guy for the job..

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City

I can see why someone would want to hire the head coach of an NHL team, or any professional team really, and only do it after an in-person interview. You can do preliminary interviews over zoom, but there are certain things that you can only pick up during an in-person interview. Example would you hire a nanny for children just off of zoom interview, or do you want to get to know them real quick during an in-person interview?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

For certain jobs, I would agree. But to be one of the faces of a professional sports team, you have to have that in person interaction. You have to see how they treat other people. Yes I'm sure they've vetted all the candidates beforehand, but even then, if I'm Jarmo im not making that decision strictly based off what other people say about someone. I'm taking him around the arena and out to dinner and lunch to see how he treats the arena staff, trainers, servers, etc. You don't just want a good coach, especially with a room full of kids, you need to find a good person as well.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I don't know. I'd give him a chance at not considering him a standard obnoxious NYC POS.

The hatred of the South and rural inhabitants by some people is pathetic. It's actually quite hateful. Perhaps you need sensitivity training and some tolerance.
Ummm...that wasn't meant as a dig at southerners. But OK. My apologies if it was interpreted that way.

That makes no sense considering Jarmo interviewed him during the last hiring cycle.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
That makes no sense considering Jarmo interviewed him during the last hiring cycle.
We don’t know how many or to what extent Jarmo interviewed that cycle, but beyond that, if, hypothetically, Vincent chose to go to the Ducks instead of us and was their AC the past two years, I think there’s no chance he’d be a legitimate candidate this cycle for our HC opening.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Ummm...that wasn't meant as a dig at southerners. But OK. My apologies if it was interpreted that way.

How could that not be interpreted as a dig at southerns. You obviously hate or view rural white people as inferior or you wouldn't have said it. It's a sick mindset-but probably acceptable in your circles.

It's the last I'll say on it, but you really ought to take a good look at your hatred.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
We don’t know how many or to what extent Jarmo interviewed that cycle, but beyond that, if, hypothetically, Vincent chose to go to the Ducks instead of us and was their AC the past two years, I think there’s no chance he’d be a legitimate candidate this cycle for our HC opening.
Based on what though?! If we were interested two years ago, why would we suddenly not be interested because he went elsewhere!? He's the AC, he's literally just taking marching orders and doing what he's told. We don't know how involved he was with any aspect of his daily responsibilities.

We LITERALLY were worse than the ducks and multiple teams around the league are still interested in him... His past credentials speak for themselves...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad