2023 Coaching Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
As long as they had a "plan A, B, C, etc. and worked them I'm good. It's easy
to picture a bunch of guys scrambling around frantically because they'd been had. But the news releases saying that we'll announce on this day, no wait it'll be this day, and so on makes it easy to let your mind go there. Pretty certain they're better than that. If it drags into next week though...

Reactions: LJ7

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Brunette's loss. Preds have a below average roster with goalie keeping them from getting any high picks. They'll be stuck in the middle forever.

Weird to me how coaches go after people they know without looking where the team is at.
The Preds have picked in the top-5 all of twice in their entire existence (Legwand and Jones; the former was no superstar and the latter was traded for Johansen) and have managed to not be "stuck in the middle forever". And the biggest complaint with Hynes was that he was blatantly ignoring the kids that are there (Tomasino, Novak, Parssinen, Glass, Evangelista) until injuries forced him to give them ice time - and when that was given, they performed (particularly Novak and Evangelista). They're a perfectly valid destination for Brunette.

I still wish he'd have come here, though.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
If it isn’t Roy and it seems to not be Vincent, could this be when a Velucci type candidate comes back into play? Or hold out hope that Keefe gets canned?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
That’s fair. I just figured if he wasn’t the choice LeBrun wouldn’t have brought his name up, and considering brunette was free going into this week and jarmo said he wanted to fill the position this week, I was putting two and two together.

But I agree, I might be reaching by calling him the pick
LeBrun brings his name up because LeBrun is asked and/or needs content. I'm not faulting him or saying he's wrong, just that it's reading too much into it, IMO, to assume Nashville somehow spirited AB away from CBJ.

Reactions: Monk

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I can't believe its been 2 Hours, 40 Minutes since the last post in this thread.

I think the pundits have no idea which direction the CBJ will go with this hire because I think Jarmo and JD have no idea. (Yeah, I just said that so I could post in this thread).

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I am just aiming low on our coaching announcement and that way I won’t be disappointed.

Seems like we had all the time to prepare and either got outplayed, outworked or just bad luck on the coaching search. Seems like this CBJ season on repeat.

The only thing that would make this worse is trading the 3OA or picking Yager at 3OA because he is better than everyone else (hopefully being sarcastic)???

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I am just aiming low on our coaching announcement and that way I won’t be disappointed.

Seems like we had all the time to prepare and either got outplayed, outworked or just bad luck on the coaching search. Seems like this CBJ season on repeat.

The only thing that would make this worse is trading the 3OA or picking Yager at 3OA because he is better than everyone else (hopefully being sarcastic)???
I think you are being a bit pessimistic. Coaches really didn't start getting hired until this week and then Nashville firing Hynes when they did completely blew up the landscape. I am not going to fault Jarmo for going to the Worlds. That is part of his job too. This is just an insane time and TBF, only name we have heard in the same sentence as the CBJ that I don't like at all is Muller. There are other names I am less than enthused about, but I still think they are better than Larsen.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I think you are being a bit pessimistic. Coaches really didn't start getting hired until this week and then Nashville firing Hynes when they did completely blew up the landscape. I am not going to fault Jarmo for going to the Worlds. That is part of his job too. This is just an insane time and TBF, only name we have heard in the same sentence as the CBJ that I don't like at all is Muller. There are other names I am less than enthused about, but I still think they are better than Larsen.
I am really not being pessimistic and more sarcastic/realist. As a fan of the CBJ - fan expectations are being mis-managed in messaging. Dates are given in hiring a coach and then get elongated and changing (understand things happen and change but just say hope to have a coach hired a couple of weeks before the draft but it is a priority).

I was big on AB and disappointed more yesterday/today (Pierre's update). I am not really enamored with anyone left - Roy is intriguing but highly unlikely. I wanted Brunette since Florida let him go. So obviously a big let-down. So part of that is bleeding through in my comments. BTW - I don't blame Jarmo for going to the Worlds, quite the contrary, just feels like we had a jump on the field and should have landed a coach with Jarmo's messaging.

My worry now turns to the draft - I always have had the thought that Leo Carlsson is the best prospect (hope we get him). Slightly disappointed in not getting Bedard but more upset Chicago did.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I am torn on the choice. I generally hate recycling coaches expecting them to be better or different in the next job. But I also don't love the idea of promoting a guy like Vincent that was part of a staff that performed at a level that the head coach got fired.
The question is, did Vincent have his vigorousness (don't know if righ word)how much of his advice did Larsen use. Well, and whether the big problem was that many players didn't respect Lars as a coach, which influenced the position of his assistants.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I hope we trade #3, I'd like to see what would happen on the forum and Twitter. May God forgive me. :D

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I am really not being pessimistic and more sarcastic/realist. As a fan of the CBJ - fan expectations are being mis-managed in messaging. Dates are given in hiring a coach and then get elongated and changing (understand things happen and change but just say hope to have a coach hired a couple of weeks before the draft but it is a priority).

Who's giving dates out?

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
So with Dubas now with the Pens, will Keefe replace Sullivan making the former Pens coach the new hot name?

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
While I am ambivalent on Vincent, I don't understand fans who consider him an internal hire. Yes he worked as an AC under Lars for two seasons but he's hardly a Lars guy or a CBJ system guy. Vincent cut his teeth, and we are talking the absolute way majority of his career, coaching somewhere other than within the Columbus system. For all we know, he took the job signing for multiple years and after the first month of camp said 'this is F'd, HC is way over his head and has no idea how to run practices. When I get my own team, there is no freaking way I will run practices like this, I disagree with his schemes and I would not manage a roster this way. But, for the moment, I am under contract and he's the HC and I gotta do it his way'.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
While I am ambivalent on Vincent, I don't understand fans who consider him an internal hire. Yes he worked as an AC under Lars for two seasons but he's hardly a Lars guy or a CBJ system guy. Vincent cut his teeth, and we are talking the absolute way majority of his career, coaching somewhere other than within the Columbus system. For all we know, he took the job signing for multiple years and after the first month of camp said 'this is F'd, HC is way over his head and has no idea how to run practices. When I get my own team, there is no freaking way I will run practices like this, I disagree with his schemes and I would not manage a roster this way. But, for the moment, I am under contract and he's the HC and I gotta do it his way'.
Because he would be an internal hire. By definition.

Reactions: JacketFanInFL

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
So with Dubas now with the Pens, will Keefe replace Sullivan making the former Pens coach the new hot name?
Only if Dubas wants to fall flat on his face from jump street. Keefe couldn't get a (mostly) young core over-the-hump. What would be his chances to get an over-the-hill core over-the-hump again?

I used a lot of hypens-obviously.

Sullivan would be a hot property if he does get cut loose-which I doubt that he will this off season.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Outside of how he applied himself to what he was told to do and how he went about it it is entirely unfair to say Vincent is not capable and will be a Lars clone. Just because he served under him makes him guilty of only following orders.. He will most definitely have his own way of doing things that he could not apply under the HC and his agenda. Anything he'd do to the contrary of what the HC asked of him would have been insubordination.

Vincent should be judged on what he's done under his own HC gigs.

How he'd do here is anyones guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad