Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
The Avs absolutely have the pieces for another deep playoff run. I fear the 2C situation is their Achilles heel right now, and the problem will be amplified when the game gets faster in the playoffs. Really hope they realize this.

Reactions: missionAvs

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Avs absolutely have the pieces for another deep playoff run. I fear the 2C situation is their Achilles heel right now, and the problem will be amplified when the game gets faster in the playoffs. Really hope they realize this.
The team now won't be the team come April.

Kovalenko is 100% taking out one of Tatar/Drouin. Outside shot at Landeskog taking out the other but if not, I expect the Avs to look to make a move to add another forward at the deadline.

Reactions: AvsCOL
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I just hope the Avs don't make the assumption that Landy and Kovalenko will be able to come in and make a difference. I'd rather they load up and bump out guys that aren't as effective, than anticipate that someone will be able to come in to support. They did that with the last cup run where they loaded up on positions where they already had depth and that was a huge reason they were able to win.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I just hope the Avs don't make the assumption that Landy and Kovalenko will be able to come in and make a difference. I'd rather they load up and bump out guys that aren't as effective, than anticipate that someone will be able to come in to support. They did that with the last cup run where they loaded up on positions where they already had depth and that was a huge reason they were able to win.
The Avs need a d-man more than anything. Girard and Byram are just not a good pair. Need to get at least one solid right shot guy. Someone like Tanev maybe

Toews-Makar
Byram-Tanev
Girard-Manson/JJ
Jones

That would make the d core a lot better

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Tatar and Drouin don't worry me at all. They are super easy to replace at the deadline or even internally.

Ryjo is the real issue...they aren't going to pay what it takes to replace him and he still has an extra year under contract.

Those who think we could replace RyJo with Lindholm at the deadline are dreaming.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Tatar and Drouin don't worry me at all. They are super easy to replace at the deadline or even internally.

Ryjo is the real issue...they aren't going to pay what it takes to replace him and he still has an extra year under contract.

Those who think we could replace RyJo with Lindholm at the deadline are dreaming.
Technically they could send RyJo to Calgary for Lindholm but the Avs have to give up a lot more for Calgary to make that deal.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Technically they could send RyJo to Calgary for Lindholm but the Avs have to give up a lot more for Calgary to make that deal.
Only reason they accept RyJo is we give them a piece that they really want that no other team offers. Like Byram.

Lindholm will get traded for a haul similar to the Horvat trade (a young roster player, a good prospect and a 1st round pick) to a team that will re-up him immediately for 9M+ max term.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Only reason they accept RyJo is we give them a piece that they really want that no other team offers. Like Byram.

Lindholm will get traded for a haul similar to the Horvat trade (a young roster player, a good prospect and a 1st round pick) to a team that will re-up him immediately for 9M+ max term.
Yeah, you gotta overpay for them to take RyJo and give you Lindholm no question. But i think you just give RyJo until March maybe he starts producing as a 2C. It’s not out of the question

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'd say it's basically 0% chance they trade RyJo this year. You gotta keep in mind as frustrating of a player as he is in the regular season, he legitimately starts to engage once the playoffs roll around.

For that reason alone I think the Avs will be sticking with him for this year. They may re-evaluate in the summer if it doesn't work in the playoffs but I don't think they're overly concerned about what happens in the regular season so long as the Avs are comfortably in the playoffs.

If I had to guess on where the Avs will spend assets this year, it'll be on a legit Top 6 winger to replace Drouin/Tatar(Just one of them) and/or a #4/5 Dman to bump Manson further down the lineup.

IF Landy hasn't suffered any setbacks by the trade deadline I can see them opting not to grab a winger and focus solely on a Dman. Because between Kovalenko and Landy coming back at that point I think they'd take the risk that at least one of them is a legit Top 9 option in the playoffs.

Right now I'd say we're likely looking at:

Nuke - Mack - Mikko
Lehky - RyJo - Tatar*
Wood - Colton - Kovalenko/Landy
Cogs - Olofsson - LOC
Drouin/Kivi/Tufte

Keeping in mind the possibility LOC is on the 3rd line if they can continue dominating all year in which case Tatar probably comes out and Landy/Kovalenko slot on that 2nd line.

On Defense I'd say you've got:

Toews - Makar
Byram - ????
Girard - Manson
Johnson - Jones

And fwiw I think if Colto/Wood can start playing like they have the last week on a consistent basis, that's a legitimately strong bottom 6. At that point your only concern with this roster is the 2nd line and as I've said all along we're basically in Sink or Swim mode with RyJo. He's awful right now but you've just got to bank on him turning it up a couple notches when the playoffs start, as he has every other time in his career.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I'd say it's basically 0% chance they trade RyJo this year. You gotta keep in mind as frustrating of a player as he is in the regular season, he legitimately starts to engage once the playoffs roll around.

For that reason alone I think the Avs will be sticking with him for this year. They may re-evaluate in the summer if it doesn't work in the playoffs but I don't think they're overly concerned about what happens in the regular season so long as the Avs are comfortably in the playoffs.

If I had to guess on where the Avs will spend assets this year, it'll be on a legit Top 6 winger to replace Drouin/Tatar(Just one of them) and/or a #4/5 Dman to bump Manson further down the lineup.

IF Landy hasn't suffered any setbacks by the trade deadline I can see them opting not to grab a winger and focus solely on a Dman. Because between Kovalenko and Landy coming back at that point I think they'd take the risk that at least one of them is a legit Top 9 option in the playoffs.

Right now I'd say we're likely looking at:

Nuke - Mack - Mikko
Lehky - RyJo - Tatar*
Wood - Colton - Kovalenko/Landy
Cogs - Olofsson - LOC
Drouin/Kivi/Tufte

Keeping in mind the possibility LOC is on the 3rd line if they can continue dominating all year in which case Tatar probably comes out and Landy/Kovalenko slot on that 2nd line.

On Defense I'd say you've got:

Toews - Makar
Byram - ????
Girard - Manson
Johnson - Jones

And fwiw I think if Colto/Wood can start playing like they have the last week on a consistent basis, that's a legitimately strong bottom 6. At that point your only concern with this roster is the 2nd line and as I've said all along we're basically in Sink or Swim mode with RyJo. He's awful right now but you've just got to bank on him turning it up a couple notches when the playoffs start, as he has every other time in his career.
Assuming Johansen will wake up at the right time is a huge leap of faith. It's not safe to assume it will happen either.

If they gamble on Johansen and it fails, management will have failed for the same reason two years in a row.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Assuming Johansen will wake up at the right time is a huge leap of faith. It's not safe to assume it will happen either.

If they gamble on Johansen and it fails, management will have failed for the same reason two years in a row.
I didn't say it was. But it is absolutely what management will do.

The playoffs is the entire reason they acquired RyJo and he does have an excellent track record in that regard. They won't make a detour based on his regular season failures. Not unless he's literally being healthy scratched repeatedly and play 10 minutes every night. If it reaches that point maybe they make a move but I highly doubt it reaches that point.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I didn't say it was. But it is absolutely what management will do.

The playoffs is the entire reason they acquired RyJo and he does have an excellent track record in that regard. They won't make a detour based on his regular season failures. Not unless he's literally being healthy scratched repeatedly and play 10 minutes every night. If it reaches that point maybe they make a move but I highly doubt it reaches that point.

The entire reason for acquiring Johansen wasn't that he's cheap?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Don't be ridiculous lmao. It would not cost Bowen Byram for the Flames to swap Lindholm for Johansen.

The Avs could offer a 1st and a couple of prospects with Johansen attached to make salaries work. Would it be the best offer? Who knows.

What I do know is Lindholm isn't having anywhere close to the kind of season Horvat was having last season pre-deadline. That will affect his value should that play continue.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It kind of seems like it was and that this playoff performer stuff (and whatever else) is just rationalizing around the sole reason of being cheap.
Him being cheap was part of it, but his playoff performance was absolutely a big reason they added him.

Otherwise, they could have just gotten other cheap 2Cs that were much better players then RyJo at this point.

Like Kevin Hayes for example.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Him being cheap was part of it, but his playoff performance was absolutely a big reason they added him.

Otherwise, they could have just gotten other cheap 2Cs that were much better players then RyJo at this point.

Like Kevin Hayes for example.
Hayes is much better than RyJo? Based on what? The 2 goals 4 assists in 16 games he has so far?

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Blatantly false :laugh:
I mean Hayes was better than RyJo last year by getting 54 points while RyJo had a bad injured season but still was on 40 some point pace. I wouldn’t call that much better for Hayes. And previous years RyJo had 60 point seasons where Hayes never scored 60. His best season ever was last year with 54

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I mean Hayes was better than RyJo last year by getting 54 points while RyJo had a bad injured season but still was on 40 some point pace. I wouldn’t call that much better for Hayes. And previous years RyJo had 60 point seasons where Hayes never scored 60. His best season ever was last year with 54

A 55 point player versus a 40 point player is a pretty substantial difference. That's literally 2C versus 3C numbers.

And, it wasn't just last year.... Hayes was the much better player in 2020 as well when RyJo had 22 points in 48 games.

Johansen has 149 points in 250 games over his last 4 years. While Hayes has 157 points in 253 games.

So Hayes has been the slightly better player over 4 years now, and quite frankly if it wasn't for RyJos one good year in 2021/22 it would be a much bigger gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille