GDT: 2023-24 season game 9 LA Kings vs Toronto Maple Leafs @5:00pm 10/31/23

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
This is a completely random complaint.
Not really. Quinton looks really good so far but he had wrist problems (both wrists) last year, he’s been using different size sticks, and while he looks like he’ll get a lot of points this year, he still seems to be missing the net. It’s not out of bounds to be worried/cautious about his ability to shoot and score consistently. You can go find videos of him shooting and scoring but his lack of goal scoring is definitely worth taking about.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago
A little bit of work on his release will go a long way, he was used to having lots of space and time in JRs and his shot setup took far too long, still see that haunt him a bit in the NHL but it's MUCh better this year already.
He had a helluva shot and release when he was the top player on the team in junior and not deferring to anyone. I still say LA f***ed this kid‘s immediate development by line placement…first, centering Anthanasiou and Brown, thankless work for any center…then putting 55 with Kempe and Kopitar, which forced him to defer as his new default instead of being the alpha on the line. He still defers way too much. When you have a stud you let him be who he is, not make him 3rd dog to a HOF. I still scream every game at least twice—shoot 55 dammit!! He has a great shot. It is encouraging to see him grow into this confidence. Go get ’em 55…play like the top dog you were made to be.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
You think it’s random that I want to see post numb wrists Byfield put some wristers in net when he couldn’t score a goal last year to save his life? Yeah I don’t think it’s random that I want to see wristers rather than tips and empty net goals.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
You think it’s random that I want to see post numb wrists Byfield put some wristers in net when he couldn’t score a goal last year to save his life? Yeah I don’t think it’s random that I want to see wristers rather than tips and empty net goals.
Well your complaint was always that he‘s not scoring enough. Now that he’s scoring more, you’ve changed it to how he’s scoring. Never mind the fact that you keep judging a playmaker by his goals.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I'm not trying to be a pain, but I don't understand. He has scored "normal" goals in the past. And before, that wasn't enough (because he "only" scored 3 last year). Now he has two already - one a tip in front of the net, one a desperation throw at the net.​

His normal goals weren't enough in the past. Now he has two more under completely different circumstances.

And while "pace" is ultimately meaningless, his scoring rate is still better than what most of us were projecting him to have. So, it just feels like the requirements keep changing before there's satisfaction in his play and/or growth.

Heck, I thought you'd love that tip-in goal. He drove to the net, and he scored in a way most Kings players don't. But you do you. Hopefully he meets your satisfaction eventually.
QB has definitely emerged this season - its a joy to see - but the criticism about his shot is valid. Recall the goal by Kempe v Toronto - QB loaded up a wrister from the heart of the slot that was so off target it ended up being a nice pass off the boards to Kopi. If he remain on the wing, I would like to see him pot goals w his shot like Moore is doing. Go to 8:50 on this link

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
If we're near the TDL, and there's a mid-level goalie like Blackwood who's been hot all season, I wouldn't be opposed to trying that route.

A guy like Jake Allen, who's a career average goalie, is on fire right now (.930%). He's basically the reason Montreal is winning games. James Reimer is a guy who can get hot also (.939%).

But if the Kings look really good, I wouldn't be opposed to selling out for someone like Saros.
With the addition of a goaltender like you described, this kings team could make an honest run at the cup- which couldnt have been said for a long time.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Well your complaint was always that he‘s not scoring enough. Now that he’s scoring more, you’ve changed it to how he’s scoring. Never mind the fact that you keep judging a playmaker by his goals.
Funnily enough Byfield was considered the best shooter from his draft behind Drysdale. If you think the way a player scores goals isn’t important then that’s just your belief. I’m not shifting goal posts like you’re implying. Yeah he’s scored a couple goals this year and he barely scored anything last year either. He had wrist issues last year which is said why he couldn’t shoot properly. You bet I’m going to be looking for wrist shots that beat the goalie. If that held him back last year supposedly then he should be scoring wrist shots this year. You make it sound like I’m asking him to twerk for the fans when i am just wanting to see a player who played with two bum wrists last year to show his shooting ability now that he’s better. Pretty ridiculous that you can’t see the reasoning unless you’re being intentionally obtuse which wouldn’t be out of character for you.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
QB has definitely emerged this season - its a joy to see - but the criticism about his shot is valid. Recall the goal by Kempe v Toronto - QB loaded up a wrister from the heart of the slot that was so off target it ended up being a nice pass off the boards to Kopi. If he remain on the wing, I would like to see him pot goals w his shot like Moore is doing. Go to 8:50 on this link

Okay. Sounds like moving the goal posts when two weeks ago "just playing well isn't enough."

Nobody has said his shot is perfect. I'm finding the "it doesn't count because it's not a REAL goal" is just looking for things to be wrong. I'm pretty sure there will be something else unsatisfactory when he finally meets this new expectation.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Okay. Sounds like moving the goal posts when two weeks ago "just playing well isn't enough."

Nobody has said his shot is perfect. I'm finding the "it doesn't count because it's not a REAL goal" is just looking for things to be wrong. I'm pretty sure there will be something else unsatisfactory when he finally meets this new expectation.
Got it...I was separating the message from the messenger here (the qb sol crusher). Back to the point.. 3 goals playing on a top line is almost impossible to "achieve". If im coaching this kid, he's doing shooting drills after practice.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

Bro he wasn’t able to score easy tap ins last year either. You’re acting like this issue is just fabricated out of thin air. We’re not talking about big foot, we’re talking about a player who has shown Rob Scuderi levels of wrist shot prowess. I said he’s looked better the last few games myself, but you know how he can really make some headway and show drastic improvement from last year? Being average in his shot. The real way QB can improve from last year is being able to shelf a shot every now and then. This issue has existed brochacho. It’s not goalposts. He is playing better but playing better doesn’t mean too much if he cannot shoot on an average level. Lizzo is playing better too. Doesn’t mean a whole a lot until the goals start coming in. NHL is a numbers business, not a who looks good business.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
When I watch QB, I see a guy who has indecision when making offensive plays. That indecision manifests itself when shooting the puck.

I've seen Byfield shoot many times. He has a decent shot.

As he gains confidence you will see him shoot the puck with more decisiveness and authority.

Reactions: Statto

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
When I watch QB, I see a guy who has indecision when making offensive plays. That indecision manifests itself when shooting the puck.

I've seen Byfield shoot many times. He has a decent shot.

As he gains confidence you will see him shoot the puck with more decisiveness and authority.
And he SHOULD have a good shot. It was one of his positive traits in his scouting reports.. however it’s been a few years and we have seen mostly nothing of it. Yeah I don’t think it’s unreasonable wanting to see him shoot well or decently at least because his shot has sucked for a couple years as of now.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

This is what happens when someone is so invested/bought in to a player failing that they will steadfastly refuse to acknowledge any good.

Same thing happened with 15 years of Jonathan Quick. I'm not expecting any view on Byfield to change. He could post 20 goals 70 points this year and we'd be having this same conversation. It's why at this point I just...don't.

Reactions: Nasti

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
This is what happens when someone is so invested/bought in to a player failing that they will steadfastly refuse to acknowledge any good.

Same thing happened with 15 years of Jonathan Quick. I'm not expecting any view on Byfield to change. He could post 20 goals 70 points this year and we'd be having this same conversation. It's why at this point I just...don't.
I can honestly say that I believe Sol isn't invested in Byfield failing. I think he's being stubborn, as I've often been.

I don't disagree that his shooting could use work. Heck, EVERYTHING should need work - I don't want this to be the finished product of Byfield.

As Statto pointed out, he's missing because he's picking his corners. He's not shooting into the body. There's plenty of velocity to his shot, which is why it shot back straight to Kopitar. The pucks will go in.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

I hope this isn’t aimed at me because I want him to succeed.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Funnily enough Byfield was considered the best shooter from his draft behind Drysdale. If you think the way a player scores goals isn’t important then that’s just your belief. I’m not shifting goal posts like you’re implying. Yeah he’s scored a couple goals this year and he barely scored anything last year either. He had wrist issues last year which is said why he couldn’t shoot properly. You bet I’m going to be looking for wrist shots that beat the goalie. If that held him back last year supposedly then he should be scoring wrist shots this year. You make it sound like I’m asking him to twerk for the fans when i am just wanting to see a player who played with two bum wrists last year to show his shooting ability now that he’s better. Pretty ridiculous that you can’t see the reasoning unless you’re being intentionally obtuse which wouldn’t be out of character for you.
Of course you resort to personal attacks. Looks like Axl has rubbed off on you. Just admit it. After Byfield scores with a wrist shot, you’ll complain about the lack of backhand goals.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Of course you resort to personal attacks. Looks like Axl has rubbed off on you. Just admit it. After Byfield scores with a wrist shot, you’ll complain about the lack of backhand goals.
Personal? You’ve misrepresented my stances consistently for the last few months and you’re doing the same now. Im not going to derail this thread anymore.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
How dare you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad