GDT: 2023-24 season game 77 LA Kings vs Vancouver Canucks @7:00pm 4/6/24

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I am extremely hung over today and it was fun to believe in the team for at least one night

*waves hand* do not look at the 40+ shots against and DeSmith in goal, nothing to see here

I've counted 3 times PLD has lost his stick so far tonight

Get me the stickum

1712517946674.jpeg

I fully expect him to have a few really good games in the playoffs. And it won't be enough for me. Still want him gone.

Yup, he's guaranteed to have one good 2 goal game and one 2 goal, -4 game and it just doesn't matter. He's a liability-style player even when he's scoring, cannot be a net-positive all-around player, just too inconsistent offensively AND defensively, even his 'a' game is dogshit defensively.

I think early on in the year we said if he's not producing if he's at least a great two-way 3C we can stomach it but he's trash, can't win the softest matchups of almost any C in the NHL.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I am extremely hung over today and it was fun to believe in the team for at least one night

*waves hand* do not look at the 40+ shots against and DeSmith in goal, nothing to see here
Definitely don't look at the run of play (or how often the Kings are getting outplayed under Hiller). That doesn't foreshadow any problems down the road!

cake-2024-04-06-2023021227-VANatL.A.png

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This is from the end of last month but it still applies

No one has consistently put together a graphic for this but deep searching reddit for basically nhl team records vs. other playoff teams--the Kings have actually struggled with this for years, including being basically .300 vs. playoff teams in 2022.

I will 100% blame the system for that. 1-3-1 is proven via data to be unsuccessful vs. other playoff teams. you can bitch about entertainment value, advanced stats, luck or whatever all you want--but 240+ games says otherwise.

Attachments

• records.JPG
    records.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: LeftKinger

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
This is from the end of last month but it still applies

No one has consistently put together a graphic for this but deep searching reddit for basically nhl team records vs. other playoff teams--the Kings have actually struggled with this for years, including being basically .300 vs. playoff teams in 2022.

I will 100% blame the system for that. 1-3-1 is proven via data to be unsuccessful vs. other playoff teams. you can bitch about entertainment value, advanced stats, luck or whatever all you want--but 240+ games says otherwise.
for this reason I hold my position firmly against people who say the Kings have a talent issue first and a system problem second.

Kings actually have a good amount of talent. Just the system is awful from top to bottom. Kings dominated and then immediately went to 1-3-1 after the second goal…

Like why? And want to know the best part? Immediately after they retreated to the blue line, the Canucks immediately began to regroup since the kings stopped pushing past the blue line on forecheck.

Absolutely BRAIN dead. But thankfully the Canucks suck.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
i too was a kings fan from that time (the team gave away free tickets in 1967 so i went to the forum and watched gerry dejardins in goal and fell in love with hockey) and i am insulted by the destruction of the championship culture we had formed with the two cups and the slide into mediocrity caused by the present mgmt. thier style is vindictive and greedy and charachterised by arrogance. most importantly, i can think critically with a reality based take on where the team is and where its headed. critical thinking and being a fan is not mutally exclusive- im a little too far down the line for cheerleading and bullshiting myself.

And you're a double jointed, self back pat expert!

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Again, people who say they went into a 1-3-1 system have no f***ing clue what they are watching...
They did after they scored the 2nd goal. Then stopped after the Canucks scored their first goal.
After the 2nd goal they did it and just chipped it into the neutral zone or just passed the opposing blueline and changed lines. No offensive zone time or possession. The Kings announcers commented that they hadn't had a shot on goal in a long time after they scored their second goal.
I thought they were just trolling doing it so obvious cause the Canucks were crying about the 1-3-1 for weeks.
They stopped though after the Canucks scored 1. I think it was Kempe between periods saying he didnt want to sit back.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
for this reason I hold my position firmly against people who say the Kings have a talent issue first and a system problem second.

Kings actually have a good amount of talent. Just the system is awful from top to bottom. Kings dominated and then immediately went to 1-3-1 after the second goal…

Like why? And want to know the best part? Immediately after they retreated to the blue line, the Canucks immediately began to regroup since the kings stopped pushing past the blue line on forecheck.

Whoever coaches next year won't use a 1-3-1 as much as they do today. Van used it a bunch times last night too, then went with a 1-2-2 . Hiller isn't coming back unless they win the cup.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
They did after they scored the 2nd goal. Then stopped after the Canucks scored their first goal.
After the 2nd goal they did it and just chipped it into the neutral zone or just passed the opposing blueline and changed lines. No offensive zone time or possession. The Kings announcers commented that they hadn't had a shot on goal in a long time after they scored their second goal.
I thought they were just trolling doing it so obvious cause the Canucks were crying about the 1-3-1 for weeks.
They stopped though after the Canucks scored 1. I think it was Kempe between periods saying he didnt want to sit back.

So....for about 5 minutes....they had 1 shot attempt, Thomas shot it wide.....they had about 5-6 attempts that were wide and or blocked, so yea, that's not a shot on goal, but it's sure as shit not sitting back in a 1-3-1 waiting....

I had to watch Sports Net, so didn't see what Kempe said, but I'm sure it was something of, what do you want to do in the 2nd or what do you need to do in the 2nd, and not sit back was the answer etc...

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
So....for about 5 minutes....they had 1 shot attempt, Thomas shot it wide.....they had about 5-6 attempts that were wide and or blocked, so yea, that's not a shot on goal, but it's sure as shit not sitting back in a 1-3-1 waiting....

I had to watch Sports Net, so didn't see what Kempe said, but I'm sure it was something of, what do you want to do in the 2nd or what do you need to do in the 2nd, and not sit back was the answer etc...
Yea it was probably around 5 minutes. The 4th line was actually effective on their shifts because they were able to clear the redline get a dump in and muck it up in the offensive zone instead of chipping it out of their zone and heading for a line change.
Either way that 5 minutes was a clear change of pace from when they are playing aggressively.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Yea it was probably around 5 minutes. The 4th line was actually effective on their shifts because they were able to clear the redline get a dump in and muck it up in the offensive zone instead of chipping it out of their zone and heading for a line change.
Either way that 5 minutes was a clear change of pace from when they are playing aggressively.

And we give absolutely ZERO credit to Vancouver it seems,

Reactions: Surf Nutz

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023

Canucks are going to love playing against the 1-3-1 by the middle of Game 4. Plenty of time for them to make adjustments over the course of a 7 games series, and we all know how well the Kings respond to those.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Whoever coaches next year won't use a 1-3-1 as much as they do today. Van used it a bunch times last night too, then went with a 1-2-2 . Hiller isn't coming back unless they win the cup.

Huh, Hiller would be back for sure if they even won a round.

Something they have not done since they sumitted in 2014.

Not sure who is available but maybe Blake would have already brought him in if he has his guy.

Hiller may be back if they lose round one and put in a good performance but it does lessen the chances.

And I think how far any team that did defeat them goes subsequently, would also have bearing.

Last edited:

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
And we give absolutely ZERO credit to Vancouver it seems,
Haha yea they played with some desperation after going down 2. Evans said they were frazzled on the ice and yelling at the refs during play after that 2nd penalty and goal against. This is where I hope the Kings develop a little more killer instinct and go for the jugular. Especially if they draw Edmonton round 1 because they are very fragile mentally. If you can get on them when they are down. Dont let up on them for a second. Play like every shift is your last. Florida figured it out vs Boston in the first round last year and now it is a big part of their game.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Haha yea they played with some desperation after going down 2. Evans said they were frazzled on the ice and yelling at the refs during play after that 2nd penalty and goal against. This is where I hope the Kings develop a little more killer instinct and go for the jugular. Especially if they draw Edmonton round 1 because they are very fragile mentally. If you can get on them when they are down. Dont let up on them for a second. Play like every shift is your last. Florida figured it out vs Boston in the first round last year and now it is a big part of their game.

you systematically can't, though. That's the issue. They go up by two and are literally not allowed to be aggressive.

Best thing for the Kings is to be down by 1 all game every game it seems. Every game they play aggressively to take a lead and then just punt as much as possible and sink back into goal line prevent zone defense and pray.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Huh, Hiller would be back for sure if they even won a round.

Something they have not done since they sumitted in 2014.

Not sure who is available but maybe Blake would have already brought him in if he has his guy.

Hiller may be back if they lose round one and put in a good performance but it does lessen the chances.

And I think how far any team that did defeat them goes subsequently, would also have bearing.

Mike Sullivan will be fired once the Pens are eliminated and be the future LA Kings coach. :nod:

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Again, people who say they went into a 1-3-1 system have no f***ing clue what they are watching...
With all due respect, and I mean all due respect, you are the same guy who flaunted your NHL 2007 Be a GM mode as qualifying experience when you were attempting to come from an authoritative angle.

If you think 1-3-1 is hearsay then I implore you to watch the game after the second goal. Kings let the Canucks come back into the game when as Evan’s said himself “they’re frazzled”. You think a team completely imploding was mounting a resurgence alone? It was the Kings who let them.

knowing you unfortunately, somehow someway 17 years ago on NHL be a goalie mode or whatever, you developed such a deep understanding for hockey that it defies logic.

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad