GDT: 2023-24 season game 63 LA Kings vs Dallas Stars @7:30pm 3/9/24

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
you (intentionally probably) forgot about how he pulled a puck out of a battle on the half boards and rolled straight to the net for a backhand grade A

how many times do laferriere et al get to slam a wrister straight into the goalie's crest before they get paragraphs written about them?

Soon as Laf stops skating from the far f***ing blue line into his defensive zone so the man he was supposed to be checking scores a goal, THAT is when he will get paragraphs written about him.

Deal?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
If I didn't know you were talking about Kaliyev from the first sentence, I could think you're talking about half of the roster, yet only one of them is the lightning rod for all of it.

High offense guys need puck touches. Impossible to get into the game when you're getting 3 minutes night after night. Ever walked into a shootout cold? Good luck.

It's fine, we'll watch him score 25-30 goals on another team next year, we'll get the usual "well he wasn't doing that here" "What was blake supposed to do" "glad we got a 4th round pick for him" platitudes, rinse, and repeat next year with some other kid getting buried in the roster in favor of some dwindling overpaid vets.

I don't know how many former players we have to watch playing significant roles on other teams, many better than the Kings, before we can admit something is amiss rather than Blake is right and we're just all dumb. Bookmark this shit for Kaliyev, too.

The bolded is such f***ing ignorance, how many former players play significant roles on other teams, who? Exactly who? Toffoli? Martinez? Faber? guys that were involved in TRADES where we got shit back for them? Or are we talking about tweeners who bounced around, Amadio, Dowd, Brodzinski, Essiymont? Are those the players,

Essiymont is playing 4th line on TB, 11 minutes a game, I need someone to tell how how that is significant, Brodzinski, same thing, WHEN he plays, 11 minutes a game, significant? Nic Dowd...he's playing 15 minutes a game....sure going back 6 years ago, Amadio is probably the best example and his 13 minutes a game....

NONE of those guys are playing SIGNIFICANT f*** for any team....they are 4th line fodder....and nothing wrong with that, the problem is when you have ignorant fans clamoring about how, we lost these GREAT GREAT prospects for nothing, and it happens ALL THE TIME....

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Invisible
I wonder if he's come back too soon?Kings need him badly! He's a scorer, passer,PP and PK guy that can dangerous in all those roles plus he's a 200 ft player now also

He is having a very tough year
I remember a few times where Kempe could have gotten injured and played through it...wishing for him to return to 100% and help ignite the Offense

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
The bolded is such f***ing ignorance, how many former players play significant roles on other teams, who? Exactly who? Toffoli? Martinez? Faber? guys that were involved in TRADES where we got shit back for them? Or are we talking about tweeners who bounced around, Amadio, Dowd, Brodzinski, Essiymont? Are those the players,

Essiymont is playing 4th line on TB, 11 minutes a game, I need someone to tell how how that is significant, Brodzinski, same thing, WHEN he plays, 11 minutes a game, significant? Nic Dowd...he's playing 15 minutes a game....sure going back 6 years ago, Amadio is probably the best example and his 13 minutes a game....

NONE of those guys are playing SIGNIFICANT f*** for any team....they are 4th line fodder....and nothing wrong with that, the problem is when you have ignorant fans clamoring about how, we lost these GREAT GREAT prospects for nothing, and it happens ALL THE TIME....
woo someone sounds a bit upsetti that someone has a "differing opinion"!

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
woo someone sounds a bit upsetti that someone has a "differing opinion"!

Nope, just lets me know how well you think you know the game, if you believe ANY of those players are playing significant roles, well, in actuality, it lets everyone know you have a different agenda from facts.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Nope, just lets me know how well you think you know the game, if you believe ANY of those players are playing significant roles, well, in actuality, it lets everyone know you have a different agenda from facts.
careful you're projecting again

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Not really, but then again, you also thought Kaliyev wasn't the issue last night coasting from the far blue line in to the defensive zone while his man scored.....so there is that.
Defensive zone coverage is a big issue for him but its not usually because lack of hustle.
He should have picked up that guy who scored instead of puck watching but if you want to get technical that wasnt his man. A wingers coverage is the dman.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Defensive zone coverage is a big issue for him but its not usually because lack of hustle.
He should have picked up that guy who scored instead of puck watching but if you want to get technical that wasnt his man. A wingers coverage is the dman.

Old school way, but yes, technically correct, everything is swinging towards F1,F2,F3 and coverage is based on who is where, it's turning relative to puck location etc, obviously depending on the situation.

As far as that play individually, it was so bad, I was honestly surprised they put him back out there his very next shift, but I was pointing that play out as a symbol of his defensive play entirety, you are correct, most time it's not hustle based, it's IQ based, last night was really bad though.

Reactions: Schmooley

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Not really, but then again, you also thought Kaliyev wasn't the issue last night coasting from the far blue line in to the defensive zone while his man scored.....so there is that.
Not specific to last night, but there's a lot of blame that consistently gets pushed on a player getting single digit minutes when you see very much of the same behaviors and issues with most of the rest of the roster.

For example, the coaching staff is very interested in getting PLD engaged, putting him with more players and putting him on the "star for good play" system.

I'd like to commend Hiller for being inventive in getting through to a player making over 10x Kaliyev's salary. Pretty lousy they seemingly don't see the same resources or time are worth it for Kaliyev.

Before anyone asks "how do you know they haven't tried it with Kaliyev?" Well - I don't. But considering how they quickly volunteered it about PLD, and all we hear about Kaliyev is that "he'll play." It's a reasonable assumption to make.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Not specific to last night, but there's a lot of blame that consistently gets pushed on a player getting single digit minutes when you see very much of the same behaviors and issues with most of the rest of the roster.

For example, the coaching staff is very interested in getting PLD engaged, putting him with more players and putting him on the "star for good play" system.

I'd like to commend Hiller for being inventive in getting through to a player making over 10x Kaliyev's salary. Pretty lousy they seemingly don't see the same resources or time are worth it for Kaliyev.

Before anyone asks "how do you know they haven't tried it with Kaliyev?" Well - I don't. But considering how they quickly volunteered it about PLD, and all we hear about Kaliyev is that "he'll play." It's a reasonable assumption to make.

Fair enough, most of that comes to PLD and Fiala, I am making the assumption, here's the difference, Fiala has a PROVEN history of producing, same with PLD, their leashes of course are going to be longer, but Fiala has been benched quite a few times this year for dumbass play, the difference is, the team KNOWS what he can provide, same with PLD, (in the instances that he actually tries) PLD as motivated as he can be, STILL has a history of producing.

Kaliyev doesn't have that over 183 NHL games, now linemates absolutely matter, the only linemates that Kaliyev hasn't played with really, is Kopitar/Kempe, He's played with Vilardi, Byfield, PLD, Fiala, Danault, etc, the problem with Kaliyev, is he isn't giving them a reason to play him UP the lineup, 183 NHL games, 35 goals, and the defensive IQ of a brick wall, that's not going to last on ANY team....now again, if he had 183 NHL Games and 133 goals, there's probably a different ending here.

Reactions: kingsfan28

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
If I didn't know you were talking about Kaliyev from the first sentence, I could think you're talking about half of the roster, yet only one of them is the lightning rod for all of it.

High offense guys need puck touches. Impossible to get into the game when you're getting 3 minutes night after night. Ever walked into a shootout cold? Good luck

It's fine, we'll watch him score 25-30 goals on another team next year, we'll get the usual "well he wasn't doing that here" "What was blake supposed to do" "glad we got a 4th round pick for him" platitudes, rinse, and repeat next year with some other kid getting buried in the roster in favor of some dwindling overpaid vets.

I don't know how many former players we have to watch playing significant roles on other teams, many better than the Kings, before we can admit something is amiss rather than Blake is right and we're just all dumb. Bookmark this shit for Kaliyev, too.

What good is it, when you're not scoring and you lolly gag it back into the defensing zone like shaq and get scored on? Last night was an example of why the coaches don't trust him. It will suck losing a guy with his scoring potential, we've all seen what he can do, but if if he can't do just very basic thing like hustle to fill a lane on a back check , what good is he? He could learn a lot from watching Lizzo haul ass into the zone and dive to prevent a goal.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
What good is it, when you're not scoring and you lolly gag it back into the defensing zone like shaq and get scored on? Last night was an example of why the coaches don't trust him. It will suck losing a guy with his scoring potential, we've all seen what he can do, but if if he can't do just very basic thing like hustle to fill a lane on a back check , what good is he? He could learn a lot from watching Lizzo haul ass into the zone and dive to prevent a goal.

Reactions: Schmooley

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
too bad facts don't sway the narrative amongst a few here

while they simultaneously tell you that you're ignoring facts

again, intentionally ignoring the fact that lizotte decided to try and check a defenseman twice his size into the bench on the exact play you're using as a poo-poo on kaliyev

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

again, intentionally ignoring the fact that lizotte decided to try and check a defenseman twice his size into the bench on the exact play you're using as a poo-poo on kaliyev

Yea, that's called forechecking for f*** sake....are you kidding me? You are using the last man back checked a defenseman as a way to say, Kaliyev isn't in the wrong?

Why the f*** is it so hard to verbalize what everyone sees, Kaliyev f***ed the dog on that play, simple as that, why is that so hard?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

You know why? Because that article doesn't tell you that the other line similar to those oh my god fancy numbers, is Lizotte, Lewis, and Grundstrom, and Fiala, Dubois, Laferriere, that Dubois, Laferrie Kaliyev line also has the 2nd most X goals against....

But let's cherry pick facts, right?

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Talbot or any other nhl goaltender is expected to make the save on shots frim above the circles.
The goal is on talbot. Not anybody else.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Talbot or any other nhl goaltender is expected to make the save on shots frim above the circles.
The goal is on talbot. Not anybody else.
i dunno, it was a laser beam shot too, post-in

with an englund screen to boot, he probably could've stood to front the shot a bit harder, same as doughty on the robertson goal but i think that's a systems thing. they give space so readily, all the way down to the goalfront

lots of errors, not just one is my opinion overall

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Guess we'll see what happens when he's on a team that knows how to use him

Gonna be hilarious when he's scoring 35-40 on a team like Boston or Florida that can surround him with appropriate support to bring out his talents instead of get pissy that his center missed his check but that gosh darnit kaliyev looked slow on that play

I absolutely guarantee you with his confidence returning and more and better looks and playing time he just starts shooting fish in a barrel. And then the usual people will surprised pikachu about it. I feel as strongly about Kaliyev's offense as I did about Vilardi and Byfield.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Stop being so hard on PLD; and give PLD some time to figure things out ;)

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
Guess we'll see what happens when he's on a team that knows how to use him

Gonna be hilarious when he's scoring 35-40 on a team like Boston or Florida that can surround him with appropriate support to bring out his talents instead of get pissy that his center missed his check but that gosh darnit kaliyev looked slow on that play

I absolutely guarantee you with his confidence returning and more and better looks and playing time he just starts shooting fish in a barrel. And then the usual people will surprised pikachu about it. I feel as strongly about Kaliyev's offense as I did about Vilardi and Byfield.
I'll be very interested to see how he does on another team. Scoring 14 goals as a rookie in a role he wasn't suited for was impressive. Obviously, no one on here can know for sure, but just from outside perspective it doesn't seem like they utilized him properly after that. I do think his mistakes get magnified more than other players though, he'll probably never be a defensive stalwart. But if PLD can get a pass for having 28 freaking points as an offensive minded center then I don't care that a ELC offensive minded player makes some defensive lapses.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
I feel like sometimes we lock in on defensive play way too much. Not every single player on the Kings will ever be complete like Kopi or Danault, or hell, even as defensively responsible like Kempe and Byfield. When you got a guy who's special ability is offense and scoring goals, does it not make sense to pair him with a player who is defensively responsible to make up for his lack of it? I'm just spitballin here, i'm no technical expert.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I feel like sometimes we lock in on defensive play way too much. Not every single player on the Kings will ever be complete like Kopi or Danault, or hell, even as defensively responsible like Kempe and Byfield. When you got a guy who's special ability is offense and scoring goals, does it not make sense to pair him with a player who is defensively responsible to make up for his lack of it? I'm just spitballin here, i'm no technical expert.
To me, Danault and Fiala always felt like perfect linemates for Kaliev. Danault has a strong enough two-way game to cover for the others, and Fiala can just create chances for Kaliev to put the puck in the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad