GDT: 2023-24 season game 59 LA Kings vs Vancouver Canucks @7:00pm 2/29/24

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Man, honestly it was kind of a blessing in disguise that Kempe got injured. The guy was just collecting points by the grace of Byfield. Turcotte looks infinitely more engaged as to be expected. Hopefully Kempe can recalibrate because he was honestly coasting so often. I think it’d help out Byfield a lot to have a player like Turcotte on his line even more since Turcotte plays a much more dynamic game than Kempe who tends to be rather stationary in the cycle and limp along the boards. I’m not hating on Kempe by saying this either. We all saw how good Kempe was in the preseason until he got injured and never really looked great since.

I’m hoping to see more of that like to see what they offer.

I know I stated before this season that this is going to be Byfields defining year and thankfully he has panned out. He’s looking better and better, becoming more and more dominant. I was pleasantly wrong about him. That being said, I think Turcotte has the ability to become an impact player. There’s something unique I see where he has a great ability to find the soft spot on the ice, forecheck, and retrieve pucks. He seems to have a flare offensively as well. I have a feeling Turcotte will pan out if he stays relatively healthy for a prolonged period of time.

The kids thankfully are doing better when given more rope. Who would have f***ing guessed? Not Todd and the staff apparently. Injuries have given them a chance to shine, and they have.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I couldnt decipher it myself.. but whatever. great game. What do you think of the 11/7 .. I think they should keep doing it.. give more time to Byfield and keep Clarke in every night
Thought it was strange on a 3rd game in 4 nights, didn't like it too much, too much risk there for little reward.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
That's all you want from him, right? Prototypical #6/7.

Pretty much...you want him to plug in for injuries, if he wants a steadier spot ala Englund, then he's gotta be consistent, not saying he can't be, he hasn't been given a chance too

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

Not to rain on the parade, but I think last nights result is more so due to the Canucks poor play.

Hughes, Pettersen, Miller all terrible. We caught them at the right time.

GameNight

Dec 5, 2021
Moverare screened Talbot a couple times. He can be the EBG if that's what he really likes doing

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Regular season certainly means something. The NHL is becoming more and more like the NBA where playing at home is a huge advantage, the Canucks right now would have home-ice in at least the first two series they play this playoffs. That means a lot.
2023 playoffs team with home ice advantage won 11 out 15 series
2022 playoffs team with home ice advantage won 9 of 15 series
2021 playoffs team with home ice advantage* won 5 of 15 series
2020 playoffs team with home ice advantage** won 14 out of 23 series

* 2021 of course was a pretty weird year with no fans in many of the playoff games
** 2022 was the bubble with teams playing in effectively neutral sites

You could be right that home ice is becoming more and more important over the past two years, but it's too early to call it a trend.

Reactions: johnjm22

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

Not to rain on the parade, but I think last nights result is more so due to the Canucks poor play.

Canucks are in the midst of a slump and dealing with injuries that they have no depth to fill. Kings did exactly what they needed to do and suffocated them. I may be a Canucks fan but the Kings played a near flawless 60 minutes last night, it was actually fun to watch

Reactions: Schrute farms

lumbergh

Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Kings finished February 7-5-0 under Hiller, point percentage of 58.3%, which is pretty much the same as their point percentage under McLellan from October to January (59.6%). On a 97 point pace now.

Huge stretch of games coming up. 8 games in 14 days between March 3 and 16. Buckle up, friends.

Last edited:

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Man, honestly it was kind of a blessing in disguise that Kempe got injured. The guy was just collecting points by the grace of Byfield. Turcotte looks infinitely more engaged as to be expected. Hopefully Kempe can recalibrate because he was honestly coasting so often. I think it’d help out Byfield a lot to have a player like Turcotte on his line even more since Turcotte plays a much more dynamic game than Kempe who tends to be rather stationary in the cycle and limp along the boards. I’m not hating on Kempe by saying this either. We all saw how good Kempe was in the preseason until he got injured and never really looked great since.

I’m hoping to see more of that like to see what they offer.

I know I stated before this season that this is going to be Byfields defining year and thankfully he has panned out. He’s looking better and better, becoming more and more dominant. I was pleasantly wrong about him. That being said, I think Turcotte has the ability to become an impact player. There’s something unique I see where he has a great ability to find the soft spot on the ice, forecheck, and retrieve pucks. He seems to have a flare offensively as well. I have a feeling Turcotte will pan out if he stays relatively healthy for a prolonged period of time.

The kids thankfully are doing better when given more rope. Who would have f***ing guessed? Not Todd and the staff apparently. Injuries have given them a chance to shine, and they have.
The funny thing with Turcotte is that he just seems to make the right plays on a team that for whatever reason struggles to do just that..
the kid is all heart and a good amount of talent, in a few more games I think he’ll start producing more specially if he stays in the top 6

Last edited by a moderator:

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
The funny thing with Turcotte is that he just seems to make the right plays on a team that for whatever reason struggles to do just that..
the kid is all heart and a good amount of talent, in a few more games I think he’ll start producing more specially if he stays in the top 6
That’s been his MO since he was at the USNTDP. A supreme hockey IQ coupled with excellent skating & work ethic. Every time he touches the puck, it’s getting funneled to the right areas of the ice.

His health was always the only thing holding him back from success.

lumbergh

Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
That’s been his MO since he was at the USNTDP. A supreme hockey IQ coupled with excellent skating & work ethic. Every time he touches the puck, it’s getting funneled to the right areas of the ice.

Every time Turcotte goes in to forecheck I'm nervous for him. He is playing very well, though. Sort of a JAD but faster, Lizotte but bigger. He made some nice plays last night. Nice to see him rewarded with ice time.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I think the fact that he weighed like a 150lbs didn't help either. Pretty sure I read that he put a lot of effort into bulking up in this past offseason.

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009

your a bigger buzzkill than buzz killington the third .. haha :p

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I think the fact that he weighed like a 150lbs didn't help either. Pretty sure I read that he put a lot of effort into bulking up in this past offseason.
He’ll never be a huge guy but if he can continue building out his lower body, he’ll be in a very good position to continue improving his all around game..

Let the f***en kids play.. the motto for the rest of the season

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Every time Turcotte goes in to forecheck I'm nervous for him. He is playing very well, though. Sort of a JAD but faster, Lizotte but bigger. He made some nice plays last night. Nice to see him rewarded with ice time.
I get the nervousness, but he looks to have changed his approach this season a little bit, at leas by what I can tell.

He is no longer barreling in like a crash test dummy, and seems to be taking a bit off the top to think about the situation he is blazing into. I’m extremely glad to see it.

If he can turn into a 40-60pt “culture” kinda guy who plays the game the right way, I’m then I’ll call that pick a success every day. Players like that are a lot more valuable that most stat geeks want to admit.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I'm not sure what JAD brings over Thomas. I'd much prefer giving Thomas a shot over JAD. Fagemo would be better as well due to the PP and RHS need -- but i can understand those are much different type players. But Thomas is more along the JAD side and he'd be much a better option. At least giving him a chance

How much better would the team be and Turcutte himself, if he had been allowed to make the team this year and given minutes all year. Heck, even going back a couple years and allowing him to grow as an NHL player. Instead of letting AHL goons make macaroni & cheese with his brain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad