GDT: 2023-24 season game 59 LA Kings vs Vancouver Canucks @7:00pm 2/29/24

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
Honestly, just double shift Byfield and lower Kopitar's ice time further.

Byfield Kopitar Turcotte
Moore-Danault-Fiala
Byfield-Dubois-Lafrierre
Lewis-Lizzotte-JAD

and just run Lewis or Lizzotte on wing when Dubois is taking a d zone draw near the end of the game. EZ

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Build the team around Byfield. Don't rush to try to win a cup. That's all I'm saying.

Cutting corners and taking short cuts usually doesn't work in a lot of walks of life, not just hockey roster construction.

Just look at the type of young talent this team could have had if corners hadn't been cut and things hadn't been rushed. Imagine a 1st line for the next decade one of the 2023 guys centering Byfield with a defense led by Faber and Clarke.

Blake could have had an U-25 roster that would have been the envy of the entire league, if only they had been a little more patient.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
It seems like you guys are agreeing unless im missing something

largely we have the 'depth' a championship team would need--but the guys that slots those guys properly as depth--the high end--aren't able to hold up their end of the bargain for various reasons. Anze is old. Doughty is badly overplayed. Kempe's sagging. Our "#1 goalie" is a Flames #4 castoff journeyman.

Our 2nd/3rd/4th lines and 2nd/3rd d pairings regularly smoke their matchups but the damage is done by the McDavids of the world and it's no wonder our PP is unable to get us over the hump when we don't have those guys.

But as I mentioned in another thread--a team missing top-end talent and relies on depth hurts even more when you lose any of the 40 pt guys, but ESPECIALLY Kempe, ARvidsson, Anderson. a team with prime Kopitar or any of the top 10 1Cs could absorb that. Not this team.
Yeah, but isn't this really Anderson-Dolan's fault?

• Haha
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
ESPECIALLY Kempe, ARvidsson,
This simple typo just made me realize that one can say Arvidsson's name like a pirate!! Thank you RJ

1709326366273.png

Batten Down the Hatches!!! Arrrrrrrrrrvidsson got scurrrrrvy

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
I certainly am not saying Kalyiev is going to be a generational talent. I'm just saying there is a lot of room for growth, and the team shouldn't just give up on him so quickly. Give him more time to grow.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I am perfectly happy where the Kings are in the standings, WC1 keeps you away from Edmonton. I think the Kings have a much better chance of doing damage in the central bracket. Edmonton just owns us, Vegas is going to be tough when they inevitably get everyone back for the playoffs and Vancouver has been the best team in the league on home ice.

Just keep winning and losing enough to stay in the WC spot that crosses over to the central.
Record against last 2 seasons plus this season & playoffs:
Oilers: 9-13-2 .417
Dallas: 2-4-1 .357
Colorado: 3-6-0 .333

Kings went to 13 of a possible 14 against Edmonton. Had it been Dallas or Colorado I don't think they make it that far.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I certainly am not saying Kalyiev is going to be a generational talent. I'm just saying there is a lot of room for growth, and the team shouldn't just give up on him so quickly. Give him more time to grow.

But he's not growing...that's kind of the point.....

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Are you saying he's a show-er and not a grower?

If my brain wasn't fried, I'd understand more....I know there's a joke there somewhere....but yea, Kaliyev is a one trick pony whose trick is no better than most in the league and the same ponies who have that trick, bring a f***ton more to the game...right now.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
have you seen his knob?

LxNjS3Y.png
You know what, there is just something off about the dudes that wrap those that big. Seems more obsessive than it could possibly be effective for a dude that can't seem to hold on to the puck.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Byfield turning into a man overnight in front of our eyes is making me want to watch the team every night regardless of the positioning.

Seeing him make good to great hockey plays consistently is really the best thing in the longest time. It’s funny, I feel more happiness at watching Kopi and Drew pick up milestones while playing with QB than I ever did before.

It’s because there is some tangible hope for once. I’m almost at a point where I don’t care what management does as long as they never screw up Byfield’s flow.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
You know what, there is just something off about the dudes that wrap those that big. Seems more obsessive than it could possibly be effective for a dude that can't seem to hold on to the puck.
i dunno, ain't no mistaking where you are on your stick with that. depends what you're looking for i guess, i'm a welder by trade and i've used some awful electrode holders that are tiny and dance around in your hand, the big honkin oversized ones always felt better to me cause you can just palm it and make deliberate movements with your wrist instead of fingertips. bigger prime movers yknow?

makes me think of those guys who use those oversized grips on their putters in golf, his is certainly an extreme though

Reactions: The Pale King

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
His wrap is like that of a tennis racket. His sister is a tennis pro so i figured he probably played a fair bit of tennis. Sure seems like it would interfere with any touch involved but i seen some guys putt the eyes out theball with those jumbo grips so...

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Kaliyev isn't a perfect player, he is probably going to end up being one of those guys who needs to play with great players, the kind of players the Kings just don't have right now. His role in the league will be as a one-dimensional third best forward on a scoring line, or he may just not make it at all, that is possible too. I still think someone who shoots the puck like he does is going to find a role and a situation that suits him.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Kaliyev isn't a perfect player, he is probably going to end up being one of those guys who needs to play with great players, the kind of players the Kings just don't have right now. His role in the league will be as a one-dimensional third best forward on a scoring line, or he may just not make it at all, that is possible too. I still think someone who shoots the puck like he does is going to find a role and a situation that suits him.
Who shoots it better, Frk or Kaliyev?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Who shoots it better, Frk or Kaliyev?

Frk probably shoots it a bit harder, I would say Kaliyev has shown better finishing skills across various levels. He did score at a 19G, 40Pt pace last season at age 21.

Is that his downside? Yes, it probably is, that he ends up being a scorer overseas or in the minors.

I think we have reached the point with Kaliyev where it's just best for everyone if he starts over somewhere else. Even with injuries, the Kings have been more willing to play guys like Laferriere, JAD and Turcotte in scoring line roles recently. None of those guys are anywhere close to the offensive talents that Arty is, but the Kings just don't trust him, and with that being the case let him go somewhere else and see what he can do.

You seem to think it will be a Frk situation, I think it may be a Robert Lang type situation from back in the day, but we will see.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Frk probably shoots it a bit harder, I would say Kaliyev has shown better finishing skills across various levels. He did score at a 19G, 40Pt pace last season at age 21.

Is that his downside? Yes, it probably is, that he ends up being a scorer overseas or in the minors.

I think we have reached the point with Kaliyev where it's just best for everyone if he starts over somewhere else. Even with injuries, the Kings have been more willing to play guys like Laferriere, JAD and Turcotte in scoring line roles recently. None of those guys are anywhere close to the offensive talents that Arty is, but the Kings just don't trust him, and with that being the case let him go somewhere else and see what he can do.

You seem to think it will be a Frk situation, I think it may be a Robert Lang type situation from back in the day, but we will see.

I think it's more likely than not he becomes Frk/Tynan than....a sniper in the league who can't play defense.... I mean 3rd game in 4 days, and they scratch him to go 11/7, the writing is on the wall.....just not sure what you can expect to get for him when you so clearly don't trust him now...

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I think it's more likely than not he becomes Frk/Tynan than....a sniper in the league who can't play defense.... I mean 3rd game in 4 days, and they scratch him to go 11/7, the writing is on the wall.....just not sure what you can expect to get for him when you so clearly don't trust him now...

They won't get much for him, but if you have such little faith in a scorer that you put checkers in scoring line roles when injuries open up, then just do the kid a solid and let him go elsewhere for a chance.

It's been almost 5 years since he was drafted, he's not a kid anymore, in the modern NHL. I think there are a few teams who would give him a shot and see what he can do.

Reactions: The Pale King

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad