GDT: 2023-24 season game 55 LA Kings vs Nashville Predators @7:30pm 2/22/24

killermiller

Kings Fan
Feb 7, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
to balance out lewis, laferriere, lizotte, danault and all the rest of the same players on the kings roster that have, by history, absolutely NO CHANCE of scoring.
34 at least has a chance of scoring
The last goal Kaliyev scored was on Dec 5th against CBJ. He's been on the ice for 247+ mins total since he's last scored, only getting 2 assists in that span (both against SJS)
I think we give this guy a little too much slack for not scoring in 4 hours of time on ice.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
The last goal Kaliyev scored was on Dec 5th against CBJ. He's been on the ice for 247+ mins total since he's last scored, only getting 2 assists in that span (both against SJS)
I think we give this guy a little too much slack for not scoring in 4 hours of time on ice.
Amen brother!

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
With average game playing time of what?
On typical checking lines.
Your post is an interesting example of a numerical reduction that has no relation to kaliyev's ability to score in comparison to the players i mentioned.And dont bother with the expected goals over 60 which is more twisted non valid wierdness and a amusing attempt to quantify luck.
Given the same playing time as danault for example he would score at a much greater rate.
But until that happens- its just more jerking off with statistics

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
kaliyev whip crackers are seriously the lower common denominator

guy plays 2 good games in a row, still positive from depth, gets moved up the lineup and reinstated on pp2, you can't wait to shit on him anyway

effectively 0 offense coming from our entire d corps who seem unable to play defense to boot, but GODDAMNIT KALIYEV

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary

It's not the amount of minutes, it's the quality of minutes he gets.
If you play 10 minutes each game with 4th line grinding duties, you won't score in 598 hours of game time combined.

The issue is that he is not utilized right.
His strength is scoring goals from the circle with a hell of a shot.
This requires a playmaking center opening this position and actually getting the puck to him first.

All this is not given, this is why we don't give to much slack.
Beside that, he looked really good the last 2 games

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
If you play 10 minutes each game with 4th line grinding duties, you won't score in 598 hours of game time combined.

This requires a playmaking center opening this position and actually getting the puck to him first.

If his only strength is scoring from one specific area, what is his actual value? Teams just scout that shit out.

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
27:54 according to NHL.com

Had the game gone to OT he'd have played about 30min.
Doughty's usage is frustrating and has been for the past few years. When he was out for most of the season and playoffs two years ago and the team still did well, I was hoping that would set the precedent that he would get his minutes reduced. The d-core around him now is better than it was then even, so it makes it even more mind boggling.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

So unless he plays with a playmaking center he's all but ineffective? That's sounds pretty one dimensional . Scorers should be able to score where ever without relying on a single guy to feed them. What about away from the puck, all forwards have to be able to play some defense and do basic stuff when not scoring right? AK has all the skills to be a good player, but man does he struggle with basic things at time.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
In a big supporter of QB, laf, turc, Spence and Clarke and want them to play more.

I just don't see it in Kaliyev and don't think he's going to have more success elsewhere. I don't think he sucks but I'm having a hard time giving him the benefit of the doubt.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Doughty played 28 minutes.

There's no excuse for that. It's coaching malpractice.
Thats a Koala legacy that Hiller doesnt seem willing to address... the fallacy that DD is NEEDED to play all those minutes. A continuation of being afraid to make adjustments to the use of the aging sacred cows of 8 and 11.

Reactions: kinghock

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Vancouver has lost 4 in a row.

VGK lost 7-3 to Toronto last night. Stone and Eichel are out. Knights are 5-5 in the last 10gp.

Oil lost in OT last night too.

Would've been really nice for LA to get this win.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Trevor Moore hasn't scored a goal in his last 3 hours and twenty minutes of ice time: high-quality ice time at that.

One goal in his last ~4 1/2 hours of quality ice time. Five assists in that time. The goal was against San Jose and one of the assists was against CBJ.

I think we give this guy way too much slack. Four goals in his last 23 games. That's a 14 goal pace over 82 games while playing big minutes in all situations. 14 goal pace is basically a Kaliyev season: low minutes, linemates and all. Moore is playing like 18 minutes a night and gets Danault or Kopitar as his center.

Just to add regarding Kaliyev: he has 11 takeaways to 12 giveaways so he is basically a wash in that regard but it feels like if he has a giveaway, Jimmy OHHHHH!! Fox can't wait to point it out but 43 giveaways to 7 takeaways Matt Roy never gets criticized.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
If his only strength is scoring from one specific area, what is his actual value? Teams just scout that shit out.
I'm not saying this is his only strength but his biggest.

If we want to see what a one dimensional circle scorer can do, just look up Ovechkin.
It's about the playmaking skills of the center to make those guys shine.
Absolute every expert and pre schooler know where Ovechkin will be at what situation and still he managed to score 50 goals every season.

• Haha
Reactions: Shellz

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I'm not saying this is his only strength but his biggest.

If we want to see what a one dimensional circle scorer can do, just look up Ovechkin.
It's about the playmaking skills of the center to make those guys shine.
Absolute every expert and pre schooler know where Ovechkin will be at what situation and still he managed to score 50 goals every season.
Kaliyev couldn't hold Ovechkin's jock.

Reactions: Axl Rhoadz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad