GDT: 2023-24 season game 55 LA Kings vs Nashville Predators @7:30pm 2/22/24

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I agree, but I think we also have to accept the fact that it would probably be Kempe going the other way, as it's really the only thing value and cap wise that makes any sense for both teams. Saros is not some 34 year old they are going to get for cheap, he is in his prime and they will get at least two kicks at the can with him before UFA, but Nashville has to get the crease to Askarov soon, he's to good to be toiling in the AHL much longer.

The Kings obviously are going to need a #1 goalie to have a chance to go deep, but it's also tough for a team that really lacks many high-end offensive talents to trade a guy who has 35 and 41 goals the previous two seasons, and is currently leading the team in scoring. If they do trade for Saros they need to be willing to commit a big extension to him after his contract expires after the 2024/2025 season.
Moving Kempe would be whackamole move.. leading scorer on a team that cant score goals. I see your logic.. but they could do a deal with Roy and send pick(s) for the retention to make the numbers work... thats about the only deal Id sign off on.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Moving Kempe would be whackamole move.. leading scorer on a team that cant score goals. I see your logic.. but they could do a deal with Roy and send pick(s) for the retention to make the numbers work... thats about the only deal Id sign off on.

Roy has value around the league, but it's not going to be for a team like Nashville or Calgary who have no playoff aspirations and who would probably lose him this summer.

I just don't see another logical fit for a Saros trade other than Kempe. I don't see the Kings trading Clarke, and what other prospects are going to move the needle for Nashville? Maybe Roy and the Kings 1st (which would be really disappointing to trade another) and then they flip Roy to a contender for another 1st and it becomes two late 1sts for Saros.

If the Kings move yet another 1st round pick you just start to enter into crazy territory. I know Detroit went 4 years without picking in the 1st round in the early 00's, but I think we can all agree they were obviously at a much different level of contention than the Kings. I wonder if Blake even has the approval from ownership to trade another 1st rounder.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Roy has value around the league, but it's not going to be for a team like Nashville or Calgary who have no playoff aspirations and who would probably lose him this summer.

I just don't see another logical fit for a Saros trade other than Kempe. I don't see the Kings trading Clarke, and what other prospects are going to move the needle for Nashville? Maybe Roy and the Kings 1st (which would be really disappointing to trade another) and then they flip Roy to a contender for another 1st and it becomes two late 1sts for Saros.

If the Kings move yet another 1st round pick you just start to enter into crazy territory. I know Detroit went 4 years without picking in the 1st round in the early 00's, but I think we can all agree they were obviously at a much different level of contention than the Kings. I wonder if Blake even has the approval from ownership to trade another 1st rounder.
Good points.. In other words, it would have to be a 3 team trade most likely. Kempe is on a great contract that would hurt to lose him due to his overall value (skill/aav). Again its not really worth doing because they are already struggling to score... its a lateral move for their playoff chances in my estimation. They will have to do something lower risk and hopefully stop pretending there is just a cherry left to make the sundae.

Reactions: kinghock

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I'm not gonna make a big deal out of this because we would have lost anyway, but I'd like to know the logic of pulling the goalie that early. Every time the opponent gets the puck they can take their chances on shooting at the net. I don't see the reward in letting them have more than three minutes of time to do that.
There's a large body of research showing that the expected rate of scoring the tying goal by pulling the goalie early is higher than waiting until the last 1-2 minutes despite the (obvious) risk of allowing the other team more shots at an empty net. Similar research is why you see most players shooting at the empty net from their own end these days versus previous generations of players who would always try to avoid the icing call by making it to center ice. It used to be thought that incurring the icing led to a higher risk of giving up the lead, but the data showed that there's a higher chance of scoring on the empty net from distance on average versus the ensuing end-zone faceoff leading to the tying goal against.

In summary, hockey nerds figured out you actually have a better chance being aggressive in empty net situations on either side of the puck.

Last edited:

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Last 6 games Moore 1A, Danault 2A Kempe and Kopitar are generaly cold lately aside from a couple of bright moments. None of the lines are clicking. If they can get Kaliyev going that would be a coup.. give him some time in the top 6 and see what happens - i dont care about how he was in the past let him skate out from that Koala generated cloud over his head. Lets face it, no one knows what to do with this roster... Koala hadnt a clue, Hiller is experimenting - but Lizotte on a wing with Byfield and PLD.. thats pin the tail on a lineup. If you're going to line scramble try this - hasnt been tried before:

55-80-22
9-11-34
12-24-78
61-38-46

Kings are sucking on breakouts lately too.. passing tonite was terrible. I believe Spence is missed in that area. They need to get him in there with Clarke somehow.

Edit: In case JHiller reads this, there are actually 220 different line combos you could make from 12 players, so you better think it through and not try every permutation : )

I like Hiller so far, but he must take Kopitar and Doughty from PP1 and give Kaliev and Turcotte more minutes.
P.S. Also, can he send Lewis, Lizotte and JAD to another universe?

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
I like Hiller so far, but he must take Kopitar and Doughty from PP1 and give Kaliev and Turcotte more minutes.
P.S. Also, can he send Lewis, Lizotte and JAD to another universe?
Lewis came out of the gate playing some of the best hockey I have ever seen him play, and I was so happy to eat a gigantic plate of crow on him.

Sadly, that play has been spotty (if not absent) since December. I don’t know if he is nursing something, or if time is catching up with him, but he has not looked great save for the occasional hustle play.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I'm not gonna make a big deal out of this because we would have lost anyway, but I'd like to know the logic of pulling the goalie that early. Every time the opponent gets the puck they can take their chances on shooting at the net. I don't see the reward in letting them have more than three minutes of time to do that.
Hiller explained it in his postgame quotes:

>>That was maybe a little bit earlier than I might do it, but they had just ice the puck a couple times, so we thought, you know, you can wait another 30 seconds or 40, but they’ve got tired people on the ice, let’s try and take advantage of that. That was probably the logic in that.<<

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Clarke needs to address whatever is causing him to slip on banana peels. He keeps face planting on the ice.

Reactions: tny760

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I agree, but I think we also have to accept the fact that it would probably be Kempe going the other way, as it's really the only thing value and cap wise that makes any sense for both teams. Saros is not some 34 year old they are going to get for cheap, he is in his prime and they will get at least two kicks at the can with him before UFA, but Nashville has to get the crease to Askarov soon, he's to good to be toiling in the AHL much longer.

The Kings obviously are going to need a #1 goalie to have a chance to go deep, but it's also tough for a team that really lacks many high-end offensive talents to trade a guy who has 35 and 41 goals the previous two seasons, and is currently leading the team in scoring. If they do trade for Saros they need to be willing to commit a big extension to him after his contract expires after the 2024/2025 season.
Kings got a good look at a legit #1 goalie in Saros. If he’s available, they should go all in.
Saros has been one of the worst starting goaltenders in the league this year.

Reactions: Schrute farms

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Preds dominated on the forecheck and bullied the Kings again.

Kings have no match for big forwards like Trenin.

Thank you Rob Blake so going so far away from Lombardi’s model.
idiot has/had no idea what he's doing. wants to play a defensive game with a small non physical roster that can skate but not do much else. blake is way over his head.
and for anybody that might think bergevin would be better- please see his record as montreal gm. also for comedy relief check out begevin own goal on you tube. its classic.

i thought arty had a good game.
there. i wrote something postive.
he's probably headed to columbus for merzlikins and our first...

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Not going to win a lot of games with that effort level.

I had more energy day 3 of this years Vid then these guys.

Lewis breakaways takes me back. Thought he did well. Switched it up & tried 5 hole on the second one after seeing that gaping hole on the first.

Kaliyev looked like he was moving, but it could have been everyone else skating in mud.

On to the next on.

Oh yes, go to the paint! Multiple guys in the paint. Stop this perimeter bs.

Reactions: 21Dog

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
This team is spinning their wheels in the black hole. I’ve lost almost all motivation to watch. If they make the playoffs, I’ll watch them lose in the first round, but until real changes happen in management, I just don’t care.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
This team is spinning their wheels in the black hole. I’ve lost almost all motivation to watch. If they make the playoffs, I’ll watch them lose in the first round, but until real changes happen in management, I just don’t care.
Nobody believes you.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2