Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
last chance to rope a few suckers in before the ship starts listing
Starts listing? Dude... We are here:

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 3.34.43 PM.png

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Damnit, you guys are going to make me slow down and look at the car wreck (aka take him off ignore)
Trust me you’re not missing anything. It’s the same trope.

I’ll summarize.
1. The kings were the 25 percent of the season champion and the games that came after that were unfair.
2. You guys got the sexiest coach of all time fired and the Kings have plenty of time to turn the ship around. (He blames the fans here for getting Todd fired funnily enough)
3. At his Todd alter the magic 8 ball said that the Kings are great and nothing is every the staffs fault.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Trust me you’re not missing anything. It’s the same trope.

I’ll summarize.
1. The kings were the 25 percent of the season champion and the games that came after that were unfair.
2. You guys got the sexiest coach of all time fired and the Kings have plenty of time to turn the ship around. (He blames the fans here for getting Todd fired funnily enough)
3. At his Todd alter the magic 8 ball said that the Kings are great and nothing is every the staffs fault.

What's funny is, when the inevitable tear down begins this summer and the Kings are really bad for the next few seasons and accumulating the type of picks needed to build a true winner he will be on here saying, "Does anyone miss Blake and Todd yet? I hope you are happy, this is what Herby, RJ and Bland all wanted, the worst team in the NHL?"

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
I'm just glad I had to work late so I didn't have to watch this abomination of a game, just heard the third on the radio driving home. I hope they were all hungover because looking at the box score after is depressing.

I'm so glad I didn't watch this but I have to say I don't appreciate the boat sinking analogies. I agreed to go on my wife's cousin's sail boat yesterday afternoon forgetting there was a Kings game. The rudder on the boat nearly busted once we got out on the open ocean leading to me nearly shitting my pants. We made it back with a little bit of magic but never again with that guy!

The score of this game reminded me of a rock bottom game from years ago (I think 05/06) against Buffalo where for the first time in my life saw a goalie get pulled for the backup only the have the back up get shelled and the original goalie put back in. I want to say that was after Andy Murray got fired and the Torch took over. This is where we are at, folks. Very depressing to the say the least!

Here's the game I was referring to (10-1 with Garon and Hauser in net):

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: tny760

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
I don't know why you (and others) seem to afraid and hesitant to go scorched Earth, it's worked here and it's worked for the teams that have dominated the sport for the last 20 years. Does it have a 100% success rate? No, could we become Buffalo or Ottawa? Yes. But we could also become Pittsburgh, Chicago, Tampa or the Kings, there is a path to a championship that way, there was never a path to a championship with this turn of the century black hole Kings build through trades and free agency path that Blake foolishly went down almost 3 years ago.
I fw your post in general. Quoting this part here to address it. For me, I'm not totally opposed to going scorched Earth and blowing it up..

I think my hesitation comes from a couple sources:
1. Part of me is admittedly holding on to hope that the team can still win with Kopitar and Doughty playing in reduced roles. The problem is (as I know you're aware), if Kopitar and Doughty are in reduce roles, who is taking their roles?? I'd argue Byfield would be interesting to see at 1C and he might even be pretty successful in that role for all we know - But is he going to be the elite level 1C we'd need to legitimately have a chance to win a cup?? No, probably not - At least not this year. Maybe Dubois could hold down a 1C role but even if he's playing well (which he's not lol) I think we can all agree Dubois is not a championship caliber 1C. I'd also love to imagine Clarke could surprise if thrust into that #1D role but that's a lot to ask of a 21 year old rookie and very far fetched to believe the team would be contenders with a 21 year old rookie leading the way on defense, it just doesn't happen. So it's looking more and more bleak every day.​
2. It feels unrealistic, unfortunately. Even if AEG fires Blake, there's still Luc. Even if AEG does actually clean house, they'd still need to hire a competent GM and then actually give that GM the green light to gut the roster. I agree there's a chance they go down that road starting this summer if this season continues to collapse but it's just hard in general to believe an ownership group would sign off on a full rebuild given the position the Kings are in.​
3. Part of me doesn't want to accept no playoff hockey for the next 4-5 years (which would be the scenario if they launched into a legit rebuild). This one is admittedly a little selfish but as you mentioned there's no guarantee it would work. So part of me would be worried that they would in fact end up like Buffalo or Ottawa and be bottom feeders for the next 5-10 years. I get that becomes a necessary risk at some point - But it's naturally that idea would cause some hesitation.​
So I'm not against it. And admit that as this team continues to struggle, it's looking like it may be the best option. It's just tough to really advocate for that since going down that road is essentially just folding the cards for the next 4-5 years when this team has a lot more potential than they're currently showing.

Reactions: Herby

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Longterm contracts are the devil. There is this romanticized ideal of players riding off into the sunset with the same team that drafted them, but there is always that ugly epilogue to the careers that frankly would be better spent with another organization so that the memories shouldn't be tarnished.

I'll save the sentimentality for my family and friends. I am spending my money and time on watching a hockey team, I don't give a shit about flowery nonsense. Make smart decisions so my time is respected, don't waste it on pretending we are a "family". We are not.
I agree with this. I couldn’t care less once a player leaves. It’s the shirt that counts. Quick for example, yes he’s our greatest goaltender, I’ll fight all day to say he was robbed of the 2012 Vezina but I have zero emotional attachment to players. I respect the hell out of his Kings tenure though.

I’m in general always on the positive side of things but that’s not emotional, it’s just my life outlook. So when I back a prospect or player it’s a genuine objective (but positive) view, I certainly have no emotional investment.

So whilst I didn’t like trading Vilardi and Faber I have zero interest in how they are doing. The IF games means nothing either because they wouldn’t deliver in exactly way for us, the butterfly effect guarantees that.

My only interest in a trade is value, regardless of if it is assets, cap space etc. I’d even trade QB but only for a monster (a very big monster) return.

Reactions: EmuRidingLuffy

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
What's funny is, when the inevitable tear down begins this summer and the Kings are really bad for the next few seasons and accumulating the type of picks needed to build a true winner he will be on here saying, "Does anyone miss Blake and Todd yet? I hope you are happy, this is what Herby, RJ and Bland all wanted, the worst team in the NHL?"
I don't want ex-Kings players running this team any more. I said it when Leiweke brought Lombardi in and i'll say it again. Kings need to get their affairs in order and prioritize a management philosophy that goes after good leaders/team culture guys. That was Lombardi's best trait as GM.

When you have teams like Edmonton, Vegas and Colorado...there is no way this current King's team as constructed can compete with that.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I'd rather be the worst team in the league with a plan for the rebuild -- then a black hole team with no plan. The latter is the Kings currently.
My fear with Blake at the helm is that we eventually will up the former unexpectedly and still with no plan.

Reactions: KINGS17 and Herby

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I agree with this. I couldn’t care less once a player leaves. It’s the shirt that counts. Quick for example, yes he’s our greatest goaltender, I’ll fight all day to say he was robbed of the 2012 Vezina but I have zero emotional attachment to players. I respect the hell out of his Kings tenure though.

I’m in general always on the positive side of things but that’s not emotional, it’s just my life outlook. So when I back a prospect or player it’s a genuine objective (but positive) view, I certainly have no emotional investment.

So whilst I didn’t like trading Vilardi and Faber I have zero interest in how they are doing. The IF games means nothing either because they wouldn’t deliver in exactly way for us, the butterfly effect guarantees that.

My only interest in a trade is value, regardless of if it is assets, cap space etc. I’d even trade QB but only for a monster (a very big monster) return.

The reason why I keep harping on Faber is that the guy who made that trade and demonstrated such short sightedness is still very much in charge. Those awful trades are a key part of the dialogue here, that the teams management makes inept choices that center around elements of the game that just have very little impact on success.

Adding Fiala made no difference at all. Adding Dubois has had no positive effect. Extending Kopitar won't yield any tangible results. Those decisions and their inevitable outcomes SHOULD be the key talking points heading into an offseason in which I expect a change at the top.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
kings should have gone scorched earth until they found their undoubted Kopitar and Doughty replacement. They should have never kept Doughty and Kopitar during the rebuild. They never gave any prospect free reigns to prove themselves and that likely stunted their development permanently.

This team is heading into another rebuild very soon. I would hold off on signing Byfield full term since it might be better to just trade him for a high first in the near future. A bridge deal would be the best choice for the Kings. No one can carry the Kings once the Kopitar and Doughty spots open up very soon. You need undoubted elite caliber players. You get no where with Wheeler and Schieffle caliber players albeit very good but not elite ever in their career. Won shit because of that.

Kings f***ed up not getting Eichel. You don’t get shortcuts to caliber players like that and I don’t know why so many of you hesitated because the upside was so high.

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
For those that didn't watch the game: I've been a fan for over 30 years and this was probably in the top 5 of the worst games I've ever seen them play. It was seriously that bad. I wanted Hiller to call a time out within the first couple of minutes of the game to yell at them to wake up. Sadly, it didn't happen. The time out, the yelling or waking up.

Reactions: BigKing

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Anyone hoping for regime change should not hold their breath. We’re probably 2-3 years away from that happening. Most likely, this year’s team makes the playoffs. The competition is poor enough for this roster to be a good bet for a wild card spot.

Getting out of the first round is currently looking like a bad bet. Hard to see the team from last night going on a semi-heater and into a first round matchup as a strong underdog.

So the most interesting scenario to me is if the team finishes just like the past two seasons. Does out in the first round mean regime change?

I doubt it. I don’t see ownership making a change after a year in the playoffs. The only real question is whether a significant trade is made by the deadline.

Marek posited Kempe for Saros today. The move works from a cap perspective. Kempe is $5.5M for this season plus two more
Saros is $5M for 1.5 seasons. The rumor was Trotz asked for Byfield. So, it’s clear they’re looking for offense.

If it’s done by the kings, there are few reasons it can’t be one for one. But we know Blake loves to strike a loser deal. So, Kempe and another piece should be more than enough. Ideally it would be a slightly overpaid roster piece. But throwing in a high upside piece would fit the pattern of poor evaluation.

My guess is Kempe and Kaliyev for Saros will give Nashville what they’re asking for and give management a feasible route to save all their asses.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Anyone hoping for regime change should not hold their breath. We’re probably 2-3 years away from that happening. Most likely, this year’s team makes the playoffs. The competition is poor enough for this roster to be a good bet for a wild card spot.

Getting out of the first round is currently looking like a bad bet. Hard to see the team from last night going on a semi-heater and into a first round matchup as a strong underdog.

So the most interesting scenario to me is if the team finishes just like the past two seasons. Does out in the first round mean regime change?

I doubt it. I don’t see ownership making a change after a year in the playoffs. The only real question is whether a significant trade is made by the deadline.

Marek posited Kempe for Saros today. The move works from a cap perspective. Kempe is $5.5M for this season plus two more
Saros is $5M for 1.5 seasons. The rumor was Trotz asked for Byfield. So, it’s clear they’re looking for offense.

If it’s done by the kings, there are few reasons it can’t be one for one. But we know Blake loves to strike a loser deal. So, Kempe and another piece should be more than enough. Ideally it would be a slightly overpaid roster piece. But throwing in a high upside piece would fit the pattern of poor evaluation.

My guess is Kempe and Kaliyev for Saros will give Nashville what they’re asking for and give management a feasible route to save all their asses.
Kempe for Saros is a lateral move. Plug one hole and open another. Adding Kaliyev to that deal is definitely not worth it.
Spending prime assets on a goalie that fits under their cap would just be putting lipstick on a pig.
If you are trading Kempe its in a package for a star player or youre trading him to throw in the towel for futures.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Kempe for Saros is a lateral move. Plug one hole and open another. Adding Kaliyev to that deal is definitely not worth it.
Spending prime assets on a goalie that fits under their cap would just be putting lipstick on a pig.
If you are trading Kempe its in a package for a star player or youre trading him to throw in the towel for futures.
Kempe just got demoted off the Kopitar line in favor of Fiala. Writing is on the wall.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021

Saros is in his worst year of his career. Kempe or Byfield? 1.5 years of aging Saros?

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

I'm not so sure about that wild card spot. Should be based on the competition but this goaltending situation is rough.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
The solution is for AEG to clean house. From our esteemed president on down. Just admit its a bad job and start over- do what should have been done to begin with.

Reactions: Herby

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020

you forgot about the extra 2nd Blake will throw in just because

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad