johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
1022-dtw.jpg

Reactions: regulate

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
We know this by now. Feast on the poor teams, a pretty damn good record against good teams, but hammered by contenders. Same 100 point team, winning and losing for the same reasons - just fewer assets and less cap space to address the real problems which were incorrectly identified.
With the same people on this board claiming that another 100 point season was incredibly successful.

Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Watching Voynov play for Ak Bars Kazan this morning made me realize the Kings have never replaced him and MRoy is not a Top 4 D-man,kind of sucks
Made you realize ?
:facepalm:

This has been beaten to death and so untrue. Heck, Roy is twice as good defensively. I always wondered why people thought Voynov was so terrific.

It was a loss definitely but he was the worst defenseman in both cup runs. Most prone to turnovers and Roy is not a top4 defenseman, you say. Unbelievable.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Byfield has looked better as of late but he still doesn’t seem to have “it”. He’s not the reason the Kings lost but like was said earlier he could’ve capitalized on some of his chances and then he could’ve been the cause for a Kings win. Can’t move him as you won’t get full value for him. No team will trade assets for what he could maybe possibly become. Hold onto him and hope he can at least become better than Erik Rasmussen.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Made you realize ?

This has been beaten to death and so untrue. Heck, Roy is twice as good defensively. I always wondered why people thought Voynov was so terrific.

It was a loss definitely but he was the worst defenseman in both cup runs.
Voynov was a rookie in the 2012 run and was getting better. He had a great 2013 playoff run and was continuing his progression in 2014. He had speed, vision, a good point shot, compete, toughness, and didn’t make bonehead plays. He had a much higher ceiling than Roy. Losing him was the equivalent of Chicago losing Seabrook at that time.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Voynov was a rookie in the 2012 run and was getting better. He had a great 2013 playoff run and was continuing his progression in 2014. He had speed, vision, a good point shot, compete, toughness, and didn’t make bonehead plays. He had a much higher ceiling than Roy.
If Voynov didn't make that save on Rick Nash in 2014 we don't win the Cup imo.

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: shuchukfan

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Voynov was a rookie in the 2012 run and was getting better. He had a great 2013 playoff run and was continuing his progression in 2014. He had speed, vision, a good point shot, compete, toughness, and didn’t make bonehead plays. He had a much higher ceiling than Roy. Losing him was the equivalent of Chicago losing Seabrook at that time.
Slava played the game very “hard” as well, super physical in dealings along the boards, and getting his body in the right position.

He was a damn good hockey player man.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Slava played the game very “hard” as well, super physical in dealings along the boards, and getting his body in the right position.

He was getting there, still had work to do but was putting in the time and reps. Undersized but positioned himself well and could skate the puck out of danger. However I do also remember the turnovers. Not a Durzi by any means but it was his weak area.

I will always remember him as the guy that snapped more sticks taking shots then I have ever seen. it was uncanny.

Reactions: Frolov 6'3

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
We know this by now. Feast on the poor teams, a pretty damn good record against good teams, but hammered by contenders. Same 100 point team, winning and losing for the same reasons - just fewer assets and less cap space to address the real problems which were incorrectly identified.
Kings were 5-5-1 against the conference finals teams (VGK, FLA, CAR, DAL)

Kings were 4-2-0 verse the SC finalists (2-2-0 against VGK, 2-0-0 against FLA)

Kings were 1-1-0 against Presidents Trophy winner Boston.

Not exactly "hammered"

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
His only knock(as a player) was a habit of being behind Quick deflecting goals into his own net.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021

Kings were 4-2-0 vert the SC finalists (2-2-0 against VGK, 2-0-0 against FLA)

Not exactly "hammered"
They were 2-4 in the first round when it mattered, against a team with expectations of winning.

I’d argue they were a lot closer to “hammered” than “acceptable”

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
He was getting there, still had work to do but was putting in the time and reps. Undersized but positioned himself well and could skate the puck out of danger. However I do also remember the turnovers. Not a Durzi by any means but it was his weak area.

I will always remember him as the guy that snapped more sticks taking shots then I have ever seen. it was uncanny.
He had the speed to recover from miscues. Something Durzi doesn’t have.

I remember him going toe to toe with Joe Thornton along the boards and holding his own. Deceptive strength.

Reactions: funky

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I was talking about both cup runs. That was not in 2013.

Voynov comparing to prime Seabrook is a bad comparison and claiming he didnt make bonehead plays is a mystery to me. Very strange observation. He certainly wasnt defensively steady and I was always afraid with him having the puck on his stick in his own end as well despite the vision.

A defenseman have to defend first and Voynov was not very good in that department, average. Yet people talk about him as some kind of Doughty. At one point he was scoring a lot of own goals too. It was always Voynov who put the puck into his own net.

Offensively he was pretty good, I did not claim otherwise.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Kings were 4-2-0 verse the SC finalists (2-2-0 against VGK, 2-0-0 against FLA)

Kings were 1-1-0 against Presidents Trophy winner Boston.

Not exactly "hammered"

So essentially .500 against the contenders. Not great but not horrible, either.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
They were 2-4 in the first round when it mattered, against a team with expectations of winning.

I’d argue they were a lot closer to “hammered” than “acceptable”
Yep. Edmonton was/is a better team than LA.

So essentially .500 against the contenders. Not great but not horrible, either.
Yeah. I mean that's kind of what you would expect.

Even a contending team you would expect to have around a .500 record against other contending teams.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Which is what is so damning right now

0-3 against teams that matter--the contenders, the measuring sticks.

You're not a contender when you're getting your ass kicked by them repeatedly with all the issues we've called out repeatedly on show.

I don't care if we have another 'successful' 100 point season if it's just another lackadaisical first round exit for all the same reasons we've been harping on since the return to the playoffs.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Byfield always looks like he's close to making a good play but it never quite materializes. That line still has very solid metrics overall (61.5%)

I'm concerned about him for sure though.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Like I said above need and want more from him

but anyone looking at that game and going 'f***in Byfield' while Kopitar and Kempe are struggling, Fiala has 0 shot attempts in 22 minutes of icetime, and Talbot sunk right back down to where he's been over the last couple of years is just looking for him

Byfield cranking a couple of posts is better than anything his linemates did last night at the very least.
The only person that has something to prove is Byfield. Kopitar is 80 and Kempe cracked 40 goals while Byfield only scored 3.

Kings need more from Byfield because he’s the only one who has no rope on that line.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Made you realize ?

It was a loss definitely but he was the worst defenseman in both cup runs. Most prone to turnovers and Roy is not a top4 defenseman, you say. Unbelievable.
I'd trade Roy right now or at least at the TDL because Clarke is waiting in the "wings" and then he and Spence can vie for top 4 minutes while Roy plays elsewhere...besides whats he going to ask on his new deal 5-6 Million no way he's worth that we have Doughty and Gavrikov as the top 2 D-men and they're taking down 11 Mi and 5.8 M respectively...PS when Voynov left he was what 24-25 and was Plus 12,plus 6 and 5 and he's a turnover machine you might have to look at your criteria again...Voynov was just scratching the surface while Roy is what you see is what you get and soon to be 29 March 1

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022

Voynov comparing to prime Seabrook is a bad comparison and claiming he didnt make bonehead plays is a mystery to me. Very strange observation. He certainly wasnt defensively steady and I was always afraid with him having the puck on his stick in his own end as well despite the vision.

A defenseman have to defend first and Voynov was not very good in that department, average. Yet people talk about him as some kind of Doughty. At one point he was scoring a lot of own goals too. It was always Voynov who put the puck into his own net.

During our Cup years Voynov was pretty darn good and that's why he got locked up to a 4 M a year contract back when it meant a helluva more than today!Kings had a great Defense and Voynov was a rising Star 81 plus points in 190 games and 25 points in 64 play-off games and was a plus player throughout his brief career as a King

Reactions: AbsentMojo

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Yep. Edmonton was/is a better team than LA.

Yeah. I mean that's kind of what you would expect.

Even a contending team you would expect to have around a .500 record against other contending teams.
objective evidence the regular season doesnt mean shit in this leauge - one example out of zillions (ul stats term) was the nhl record setting season boston had last year. also its doubtful to me how much eastern conference teams care about thier record against the west. pretty much exhibition games in regular season matchups between east and west

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA

I mean, sure, even Doughty made bonehead plays and still built a Hall of Fame career out of those years. Voynov was in years 1-3 of his career, playing top four minutes, on a defensive, Darryl Sutter coached two time Stanley Cup winning team. He had a lot going for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad