GDT: 2023-24 season game 43 LA kings vs New York Rangers @7:30pm 1/20/24

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
LMAO. There is no one on earth that will agree that 8.5 million for 38 points is fine, no matter how much salaries have gone up.
Todd has trouble making adjustments & integrating players into the lineup, Kaliyev & Fagemo. It unfortunately takes him some time to get there. Look at how Fiala is used. Staple him to Danault because Todd has no idea what else to do with him.

PL will pick up.
When the GM tells me we're a contender, goes out and sells the farm for a 3C, trades years of 1st and 2nd round picks to open the window early, is capped out and can't make moves or even carry a full roster daily, you're damn straight I'm going to expect the team to actually do better than the previous year, and surely a f***ton better than "well we should be around the wildcard."

It's okay to be positive, but if it's panic mode/unreal/butthurt to want my team to win more than 5 out of 21 games, then you are a pig happily rolling in his own shit to be calling things 'right on track.' That's a lottery pace, we're competing with the Sharks over the last quarter season!
Yes, there are people butthurt about losing Vilardi. Didn't like his attitude or the things he'd say without thinking. Don't miss him one bit. There were people butthurt before the losing streak.

The team is playing fine. Has to sort some things out still, but they're in most games. Got the bounces the other day against the Rangers. Have to get back to putting pucks on net & going to the net. I might be getting old & becoming Sutter. 😂

This might not be the year they're able to make the jump. Think that will depend on players like Clarke & a forward or two becoming impact players & sorting out the goalie situation for the long term.

There's still quite a bit to be excited about. 55 is coming alive, can't score wrist shot though. Fagemo looked exciting. Gave Todd a few heart attacks. Laferriere is burying a few goals from being an awesome snag in the 3rd round. Might have to trade someone off the defense because King's have too many defenders.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Big, one of the few forwards that hits guys, draws penalties from getting under the other teams skin. PL also goes to the net. Points & Chemistry will come.

Kopi, PL, Byfield are massive & hard to control in front of the net. King's need to start crashing.

People have unreal expectations. They don't realize salaries have gone up, Nylander for instance 11+? Also some are butthurt about Vilardi or Iafallo for some reason.

The recent losing streak has people in panic mode. Didn't expect the King's to finish much above the wild card this year. Maybe 3rd in Pacific. Things are right on track. The losing streak won't continue forever.
No one thinks the losing streak will continue forever. This is all such nonsense I cant tell if you are for real.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Todd has trouble making adjustments & integrating players into the lineup, Kaliyev & Fagemo. It unfortunately takes him some time to get there. Look at how Fiala is used. Staple him to Danault because Todd has no idea what else to do with him.

This doesn't make sense, did he have trouble integrating Laferriere? Byfield? Durzi? Grundstrom? etc?

I get it, I want Kaliyev to turn into a perennial 30 goal scorer as well, but man, he's dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to hockey, he has an amazing shot....and....................what else can you say about his game other than he can shoot the puck?

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
This doesn't make sense, did he have trouble integrating Laferriere? Byfield? Durzi? Grundstrom? etc?

I get it, I want Kaliyev to turn into a perennial 30 goal scorer as well, but man, he's dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to hockey, he has an amazing shot....and....................what else can you say about his game other than he can shoot the puck?
Sadly I think I agree, although as we both say at times we don’t know what’s being asked of him in his role. Maybe he’s a top 6 or nothing kinda guy but Laf has pushed him down the depth chart.

If Fagemo can step up into a role or they think someone like Turcotte or Thomas can skate on the 4th line there is still depth, so once RV is back he becomes a possible chip to move. You’d have to package him with Roy to make room for Clarke and at the same time add either a goaltender or some size/grit elsewhere. It’d be an aggressive move but those are the ones who that can payoff big… just not for a rental or a ridiculously bad contract coming back. Just spitballing but it’d bring improved balance IMO.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I heard a smart commentator on NHL network radio (shit, can't remember who, think it was Anthony Stewart) say that PLD is playing in the completely wrong system for him...said he needs to be a pressure forechecker to excel and that the 1-3-1 plays to none of his strengths.
Incidentally, there was an analyst who also said that Huberdeau is being misplayed in Calgary in a similar light. That his speed isn't being utilized on entries, he's basically waiting at the blueline. And in Florida, it was much more dynamic and robust.

Do teams not really account for how players will be utilized once they're acquired? Do they really just look at what skills they have?

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I heard a smart commentator on NHL network radio (shit, can't remember who, think it was Anthony Stewart) say that PLD is playing in the completely wrong system for him...said he needs to be a pressure forechecker to excel and that the 1-3-1 plays to none of his strengths.
From watching videos at the time of the trade for his goals scored in Winnipeg, there was a lot of dirty net front stuff. Tips, mucking it up etc.

This team seems to never be in front of the net. Did the player change with PLD or is this because whatever this system is on offense is all about transition stuff?

Blake's blaming things on the offense not finishing chances. Well, a nice hedge to not relying on bar-down Kempe and Moore snipes is mucking it up in front of the net.

Incidentally, there was an analyst who also said that Huberdeau is being misplayed in Calgary in a similar light. That his speed isn't being utilized on entries, he's basically waiting at the blueline. And in Florida, it was much more dynamic and robust.

Do teams not really account for how players will be utilized once they're acquired? Do they really just look at what skills they have?
Blake doesn't. See Kovalchuk/Fiala/PLD.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Blake doesn't. See Kovalchuk/Fiala/PLD.
I mean, Fiala's been pretty great in LA. Essentially exactly what we expected, no?

70-80 point play super-creative driving winger who takes bad penalties at times and has bad turnovers at times but is otherwise a pretty excellent player.

Reactions: psych3man

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

PL will pick up.

Yes, there are people butthurt about losing Vilardi. Didn't like his attitude or the things he'd say without thinking. Don't miss him one bit. There were people butthurt before the losing streak.

The team is playing fine. Has to sort some things out still, but they're in most games. Got the bounces the other day against the Rangers. Have to get back to putting pucks on net & going to the net. I might be getting old & becoming Sutter. 😂

This might not be the year they're able to make the jump. Think that will depend on players like Clarke & a forward or two becoming impact players & sorting out the goalie situation for the long term.

There's still quite a bit to be excited about. 55 is coming alive, can't score wrist shot though. Fagemo looked exciting. Gave Todd a few heart attacks. Laferriere is burying a few goals from being an awesome snag in the 3rd round. Might have to trade someone off the defense because King's have too many defenders.
What the f***? The kings moved him when he’s breaking out to Winnipeg. Vilardi had supposed such a bad attitude that the Kings went and got PLD who has the worst attitude.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
What the f***? The kings moved him when he’s breaking out to Winnipeg. Vilardi had supposed such a bad attitude that the Kings went and got PLD who has the worst attitude.
I would like to go to one of the copium dispensaries that some clearly get their supply from.

Reactions: tigermask48

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
At this point, I'm hoping we get at least one dimension from PLD. For example, if he just went hard to the net and drew penalties consistently - sure he'd still be way overpaid, but it would be something. From there, maybe upgrade to mucking it up in the crease for rebounds, deflections, screens...wouldn't it be nice?

Reactions: Telos

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I mean, Fiala's been pretty great in LA. Essentially exactly what we expected, no?

70-80 point play super-creative driving winger who takes bad penalties at times and has bad turnovers at times but is otherwise a pretty excellent player.
The question though was regarding utilization. Doesn't fit with Kopitar. Good with Danault but everyone seems to be good with Danault and that line is solid with Arvi on it.

Doesn't fit with Kopitar so Byfield is at wing and now the big acquisition that was supposed to provide center depth is getting his shot at wing with Kopitar.

Kings scored 17 goals in seven playoff games against Edmonton in 2022 without Arvidsson and prior to the Vilardi breakout. Gave up 27 while being bullied. The answer was apparently more offense.

2023 they score 20 in six games but give up 25 while being bullied. Fiala is back in the lineup for the final three games of the series where the Kings give up 5/6/5 goals and lose all three. The answer was apparently more offense.

They will never outscore a McDavid/Drai team, at least not with no adjustments T-Mac at the helm.

Fiala was simply a matter of Blake having dry powder and thinking he was taking advantage of a situation where he could add Fiala's production without taking anything away from the NHL roster. "Went to Game 7 this past season without Arvidsson...if we have him and Fiala, we can beat these guys!".

Same exact reasoning that brought us the Kovalchuk signing. It's f***ing simpleton thinking that ignores the actual problems with the roster. It's the Herb Brooks 1980 team selection thing: anyone can pick the best collection of talent and send them out to be crushed by the Soviets but it was another thing to try and pick the right ones to form a team that actually had a chance.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I mean at this point I'd gladly pay Randy Jones 8.5m if he'd muck it up in front of the net

This entire team is allergic to the 10-15 feet in front of the net

bland

Jul 1, 2004

Expected? Yes, he is exactly what should be expected of a discount second, maybe third tier "star". Two teams decided he was okay to move on, keep that in mind.

Fiala is Craig Janney in an era of Lemieux, Sakic, Yzerman, etc.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
The question though was regarding utilization. Doesn't fit with Kopitar. Good with Danault but everyone seems to be good with Danault and that line is solid with Arvi on it.

Doesn't fit with Kopitar so Byfield is at wing and now the big acquisition that was supposed to provide center depth is getting his shot at wing with Kopitar.

Kings scored 17 goals in seven playoff games against Edmonton in 2022 without Arvidsson and prior to the Vilardi breakout. Gave up 27 while being bullied. The answer was apparently more offense.

2023 they score 20 in six games but give up 25 while being bullied. Fiala is back in the lineup for the final three games of the series where the Kings give up 5/6/5 goals and lose all three. The answer was apparently more offense.

They will never outscore a McDavid/Drai team, at least not with no adjustments T-Mac at the helm.

Fiala was simply a matter of Blake having dry powder and thinking he was taking advantage of a situation where he could add Fiala's production without taking anything away from the NHL roster. "Went to Game 7 this past season without Arvidsson...if we have him and Fiala, we can beat these guys!".

Same exact reasoning that brought us the Kovalchuk signing. It's f***ing simpleton thinking that ignores the actual problems with the roster. It's the Herb Brooks 1980 team selection thing: anyone can pick the best collection of talent and send them out to be crushed by the Soviets but it was another thing to try and pick the right ones to form a team that actually had a chance.
He makes cool plays tho

Reactions: BigKing

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago
England with another -1 while out of position.
Five -1 games in a row with minimal minutes.

Also I thought 78 had a scoring touch...no show right before the goal

Shit! Sorry...wrong game.
Lol

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
England with another -1 while out of position.
Five -1 games in a row with minimal minutes.

Shit! Sorry...wrong game.
Lol
Wrong game, right analysis. I simply don't understand the amount of rope that Laferriere has been given this season. Englund has been awful for almost a month straight.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Wrong game, right analysis. I simply don't understand the amount of rope that Laferriere has been given this season. Englund has been awful for almost a month straight.

I get Laferriere....they clearly love the kid and Im a fan as well. You can see hes a lefit NHLer- the other night just a bad rookie mistake not unlike Durzis opening night gaffe of last season.

With Englund though- 27 year old bottom pairing guy who tmac rolls with no matter how bad he plays. Being one of Tmacs guys means never having any accountability it seems. A bottom pair of Clarke/Spence at some point isnt the worst idea in the world.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I get Laferriere....they clearly love the kid and Im a fan as well. You can see hes a lefit NHLer- the other night just a bad rookie mistake not unlike Durzis opening night gaffe of last season.

With Englund though- 27 year old bottom pairing guy who tmac rolls with no matter how bad he plays. Being one of Tmacs guys means never having any accountability it seems. A bottom pair of Clarke/Spence at some point isnt the worst idea in the world.
Well, Laferriere might look like a legit NHLer, but he's not performing like one. One point every 4 games is not going to cut it for line 3, especially if he makes rookie mistakes. At least Durzi is on the scoresheet regularly, even as a defenseman.

Reactions: kinghock

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Well, Laferriere might look like a legit NHLer, but he's not performing like one. One point every 4 games is not going to cut it for line 3, especially if he makes rookie mistakes. At least Durzi is on the scoresheet regularly, even as a defenseman.

agreed as well....no reason he should not have been sat.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
The absolute last thing I want is to be the team that gives Vilardi a contract on his "Breakout". His breakout so far is 11 goals & 9 assists. His PPG is high because he missed half the season. Just imagine how many points Vilardi will score if he's healthy the whole season!!!! Attitude, injury, not thinking before opening his mouth. Pass.

PLD's attitude problem? Not liking being stuck in CBJ with a grating coach. Seem to remember someone else with an attitude problem from CBJ that worked out great.

Saw something last night about Grundström & JAD not having a goal in the last 50 combined games. Didn't think that's true, but JAD doesn't have a goal on the year. 😂 PLD was still out there battling for the puck & drawing penalties, will skip the hit he whiffed on, despite his joke linemates.

PLD isn't good enough to elevate JAD into a scorer at the NHL level or teach Grundström how to skate. That's not an attitude issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad