GDT: 2023-24 season game 29 LA Kings vs Detroit Red Wings @4:00pm 1/13/24

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Yeah, you know you want to claim her.

On an unrelated note, don't like that Carrlyn told Russel to edit/remove the tweet. Call out why it's misleading or call him dumb, but telling him to take action against the tweet looks like bullying a media personality because you don't like the message.
Is this like AOC calling out Trump?

Actually, I take that back her dad was a former NHL player and she's actually a nice girl.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
He shouldn’t have posted incorrect TOI and it looks bad on him, but where was Bathe and her new-found love of fact checking when Yannetti made his podcast tour and told multiple blatant lies in an attempt to defend himself and his boss.

Guess she must have missed all of those.
I missed all of that. What was said?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
He shouldn’t have posted incorrect TOI and it looks bad on him, but where was Bathe and her new-found love of fact checking when Yannetti made his podcast tour and told multiple blatant lies in an attempt to defend himself and his boss.

Guess she must have missed all of those.
I'm not a big fan of Russell either, which is why I'd prefer she just point out how stupid and misleading it is.

Nobody really looks good here.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Russ is my boy, what's the problem - he's stating facts.
He seems like a good guy. But he has said a few things, including the "5-on-5" stats, where I feel he's more interested in providing a narrative than information.

Not that all narratives are wrong or bad. So I don't want to sound like I'm dunking on him.

And yes, I know all the different Kings media, including MM, provide narratives to varying degrees. I just feel the other sources are more transparent when they're spinning.

Reactions: Johnny Utah

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Really tired of this team being soft. Secretly hoping for that 12-game losing streak maybe someone will no longer be with the organization. Need a new direction. The Chief would be perfect for this team.

Reactions: GameNight

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Really tired of this team being soft. Secretly hoping for that 12-game losing streak maybe someone will no longer be with the organization. Need a new direction. The Chief would be perfect for this team.

If only Sam McMaster could have gotten Berube included in the Dafoe/Khristich trade 29 years ago, he'd probably be behind the Kings bench by now.

F'n McMaster, still finding a way to screw us almost 3 decades later.

Last edited:

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
He seems like a good guy. But he has said a few things, including the "5-on-5" stats, where I feel he's more interested in providing a narrative than information.

Not that all narratives are wrong or bad. So I don't want to sound like I'm dunking on him.

And yes, I know all the different Kings media, including MM, provide narratives to varying degrees. I just feel the other sources are more transparent when they're spinning.
I don't even think it's a misleading narrative. This team has been struggling at 5-on-5 (the game state at which a majority of just about every NHL game is played) for a while. Why is a frequent healthy scratch who is objectively useless on the ice ever receiving more 5-on-5 time than one of the most talented offensive players on the team, especially for a team that has been poor at 5-on-5 lately? It's not like 3 minutes of power play time that was spent mostly in Detroit's zone would be excessively taxing on players.

Even if you want to quibble over Russell choosing 5 on 5 over even strength, for example, the fact that a team employee is in his mentions telling him to edit his post is far more objectionable than anything Russell said. If anything, it's reflective of what appears to be a narrative that the organization expects the media--independent or not--covering it to carry forward.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I don't even think it's a misleading narrative. This team has been struggling at 5-on-5 (the game state at which a majority of just about every NHL game is played) for a while. Why is a frequent healthy scratch who is objectively useless on the ice ever receiving more 5-on-5 time than one of the most talented offensive players on the team, especially for a team that has been poor at 5-on-5 lately? It's not like 3 minutes of power play time that was spent mostly in Detroit's zone would be excessively taxing on players.

Even if you want to quibble over Russell choosing 5 on 5 over even strength, for example, the fact that a team employee is in his mentions telling him to edit his post is far more objectionable than anything Russell said. If anything, it's reflective of what appears to be a narrative that the organization expects the media--independent or not--covering it to carry forward.
I agree with the above save for calling JAD useless (but that's a different discussion).

I understand why he posted it, but I also wouldn't have had a problem with Carrlyn (or anyone) calling out how using 5-on-5 versus even strength is misleading. Carrlyn explained why using even strength is, in her opinion, a better way to look at it - because Kopitar or Kempe might have other special teams (i.e. the PK) and they're a line, JAD might get a bit more time 5-on-5 as a result of keeping lines together.

But ultimately, I don't like a team employee telling an independent media source to edit or remove a post. Just call it for what it is and trust you have a fanbase intelligent enough to recognize the distinction.

Which, I think, is why this is all so frustrating. Bob Miller made it a point to speak to the audience in an authentic manner that doesn't insult their intelligence. That's one value I strive for in my communications and when I write articles. This "ask" just demonstrates how far we are from the Bob Miller era. At least that's how it feels to me.

And fwiw, I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm dunking on Carrlyn, Russell, etc. I don't know them as people, and I don't know what's driving these actions. I'm just saying I don't like said behaviors, especially in the degree they are occurring.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I agree with the above save for calling JAD useless (but that's a different discussion).

I understand why he posted it, but I also wouldn't have had a problem with Carrlyn (or anyone) calling out how using 5-on-5 versus even strength is misleading. Carrlyn explained why using even strength is, in her opinion, a better way to look at it - because Kopitar or Kempe might have other special teams (i.e. the PK) and they're a line, JAD might get a bit more time 5-on-5 as a result of keeping lines together.

But ultimately, I don't like a team employee telling an independent media source to edit or remove a post. Just call it for what it is and trust you have a fanbase intelligent enough to recognize the distinction.

Which, I think, is why this is all so frustrating. Bob Miller made it a point to speak to the audience in an authentic manner that doesn't insult their intelligence. That's one value I strive for in my communications and when I write articles. This "ask" just demonstrates how far we are from the Bob Miller era. At least that's how it feels to me.

And fwiw, I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm dunking on Carrlyn, Russell, etc. I don't know them as people, and I don't know what's driving these actions. I'm just saying I don't like said behaviors, especially in the degree they are occurring.
Useless might be a little strong but he just hasn’t shown much at all to me in the NHL. Kaliyev has been working just as hard since his benching a few weeks ago but at least has some offensive ability.

Even just looking at 5-on-5, Byfield’s line mates each had almost 2 more minutes at 5-on-5, so I think that undercuts the special teams argument a bit. Either way, Carrlyn trying to dictate what a fan and independent media person can say is pretty gross (especially when the front office gets to skate by without any criticism—has anyone heard from Blake since the start of the season?).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad