GDT: 2023-24 season game 27 LA Kings vs Seattle Kraken @7:00pm

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Ask Santa for some self-awareness for Christmas kiddo.

Anyway, Kings probably 'deserved' the points but the worrying trends continue.

When teams want to play 'shut down the slot' Kings aren't interested in going there, hence the goalie save percentages vs. us going up. Teams are comfortable playing lock down and counterpunch, knowing they're outmatched, but Todd isn't adjusting. And then the more physical teams punch us in the mouth, too. But the really worrying thing is the Kings still have no problem taking a 1-0, 2-0 lead, they just cannot hold it. That's problematic for playoff hockey vs. better teams. Fix it.
From 2011-14, the Kings lost only 6.1% of games they led after one and only 5.7% of games they led after two.

That is getting the job done.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
Thought police here arresting people for critical thinking
Haha we've had kings fans complain about kopitar in his entire tenure here as a king even after two cups. We've had kings fans complaint about vikardi being a bust about byfield being a bust. Nobody's being arrested just rolling eyes at ppl complaining even with the kings being top 5 team

SaltyElkHunter

Grocery Shopping in the woods
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
Just wondering, when will Blake and Robitaille be held accountable?
When you fire them both and they collectively start an alumni mutiny. The team is in a dangerous predicament with them; thats what happens when you let the inmates run the asylum. If I was their boss and wanted to hold them accountable I would find a way to get them to turn on each other; both of them have egos to big to let shit go.

Reactions: KINGS17

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I'm not giving up on "PL" just yet, but it's not looking great so far. Anyone who wants to deny this is delusional.

I think he'd be getting a little more slack if he didn't come with all the stories and gossip surrounding him but he's just not a very likeable player right now. He seems to have all the tools to dominate but it feels like he just decides not to. We've seen this before.

Honestly, I don't really care what anyone's game looks like in December anymore. If he's still looking like this in March and April we've got some major problems.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
I’m not overly thrilled with PL’s play so far either but we’re 25 games into a season where he’s in a new city, new teammates, new system.

He looked good in preseason, started the season off OK, then slid into the net, and it looked like he’d be out for a while. He came back right away and had some of the worst games I’ve ever seen him play so maybe he was struggling a bit with a leg injury.

In my eyes, he look better the last few games, but I still think he needs to be paired with a skilled winger, and I do believe that he will mesh well with Arvidson

I’m going to say two negative things about two players but that does not mean I hate them as I’m a big fan of both but neither Kaliyev or Laf or the type of players he needs as both of them need a lot of work on their games to be considered top six skilled players.

Before we throw the baby out with the bathwater, I would love to see impaired with Moore, Arvidsson or even a guy like Fagemo.

I’m going to continue to smell the roses and just think of the song “we ain’t seen nothing yet” As I think, this guy can still be a monster in the right conditions. I would’ve been much happier with him getting paid 6.5 million but that’s not gonna happen in the current environment

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I get what you guys are saying, but I can't handle all the negativity. We're all looking at Vilardi and Quick going off right now and it stings a little bit. However, it's a long season and we need to try and keep calm and stay the course.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Haha we've had kings fans complain about kopitar in his entire tenure here as a king even after two cups. We've had kings fans complaint about vikardi being a bust about byfield being a bust. Nobody's being arrested just rolling eyes at ppl complaining even with the kings being top 5 team
Difference is we're seeing the actualization of the decision pretty quickly.

Vilardi gets injured - "well, that's why the Kings traded him. He gets injured all the time."

Then Vilardi comes back and is three points shy of tying PLD in scoring despite playing in half the games. And Alex Iafallo, who everyone was dumping on for being overpaid, is outscoring PLD at half the price.

The excuses just keep coming out in defense of PLD, even though it's not being used in the other direction:

- PLD's not the same since he ran into the net... even though Vilardi came back from injury.
- PLD needs time to adjust, even though Vilardi and Iafallo have adjusted already.
- PLD needs better linemates, despite already getting Fiala and Kaliyev earlier this season, and starting the season on the first powerplay unit with the team's top players.

We're a third of the way into season one of an 8-year contract. Yes, it can get better, but so far he's been an underwhelming player who isn't even capitalizing on his favorable opportunities, and he's got the second-highest cap hit of all the forwards - third highest on the team.

He's making almost as much money as Byfield, Moore, Kaliyev, Grundstrom, Laferriere, JAD and Lewis combined. He's 5th overall on the team in powerplay ice time per game.

The team has bent over backwards to try to get him going and keep him happy, and the best we have is "he's not as bad as before."

His underachieving is being carried by the rest of the team playing well enough. Feel free to be satisfied with that, but a time will come when Kopitar and Danault are gone, and PLD will still be under contract. So, the team needs him to start playing better sooner rather than later.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I get what you guys are saying, but I can't handle all the negativity. We're all looking at Vilardi and Quick going off right now and it stings a little bit. However, it's a long season and we need to try and keep calm and stay the course.
It's tough when there are people around that have been clamoring for things this team needs! Those same things that go ignored by Blake and then this season, especially the last few weeks have been making those things very clear.

Herby has for months (maybe years) benn wanting the Kings to not keep their prospects in the AHL and Turcotte is out long term again from a check to the head, Clarke and Thomas have been playing with targets on their backs.

Some questioned the trade for PLD and his work ethic, and now here we are with him looking like the worst off season acquisition.

Others pointed out the lack of goaltending depth and now here we are an injury away from an AHL rookie in Portillo having to step into the NHL.

Johnny Utah has been wanted more toughness added for years and by the look of Englund that might have been just what LA needed.

Byfield is finally emerging as a force and it just happens to coincide with him needing a raise this summer while the Kings are hurting for cap space.

Speaking of cap space, others here questioned the logic of spending tight against the cap and now here we are with key players injured, and no cap space to have the flexibility to do much of anything.

Every positive this season has been tinged with a dark cloud hovering just over the horizon.
Team sets a record for road victories, but struggles to play decent hockey at home.

It tough to stay positive when every good thing seems to have a negative directly linked it.

It's almost impossible to ignore the bad because the good is so closely linked to it.

Edit: Also what KP said above^

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I asked for a large mirror and will send it to you.

Have you seen your extreme crying in every GDT lately and you talk about self awareness. :)

Thanks for the follow, wish I could monetize it

I dont think we need to worry about Seattle In this Division.

That team really misses several players who went elswhere.
Last year they had an extremely good forecheck and more offensive power.

All the more reason to pound them rather than play a nail biter, right?

• Haha
Reactions: tny760

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Look ultimately all the ‘complaining’ is just observations that they are, thus far, who we thought they were, a team that should be ‘exciting’ and have their best year before the declines of Kopitar and Doughty, but a likely first round exit. Haven’t seen anything to dispel that.

PLD—silver lining is he can barely be worse. If he even gets back to ‘normal’ production we’re sitting pretty. But because of him—the first line is getting loaded up against since he’s not a threat. He’s playing against absolute SCRUBS night in and night out and cool he’s not a liability but our strength was always our depth and right now that’s not cutting it.

Adjustments—LOL not happening. Book is out on the kings and teams are playing us tough and patient.

Injuries—team has faced next to no adversity so far with basically total health and lengthy home breaks. Look at January’s schedule; these guys may tumble if they can’t right/adjust things.

Goalies—Talbot is showing signs of wear already; how do we spell him?

Can’t hold a lead—choke city Todd leading the way as usual

Can’t handle physical play—NYI broke this team, added to the playbook

Look we were sold that this team was a contender and though they look great in the standings their record against good teams is dog shit and THAT is the worry, I don’t care about being built for volume regular season wins against east coast teams in december, i worry about playing physical STRONG patient teams 7 games in a row, and with a coach who doesn’t want ot adjust, a gun shy team that doesn’t want to go to the net, shaky old goaltending, and an inability to hold a lead, I’m not convinced we’re going any further than last year.

It’ll be a fun ride till we get there sure but don’t act like the worries have no basis in reality since we have several years of track record of this exact squad as well as many many more of TM.

Reactions: chris kontos

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Frankly I’m a little concerned if you’re NOT concerned we were a shootout goal from a borderline lottery team away from another blown 2 goal lead and 4 game losing streak.

That’s where the consternation is coming from.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
One positive change our championship pedigree head coach made is arty to the third line and taking him off the defense first 4th line. At least arty will get passed to on pld's line

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Just wondering, when will Blake and Robitaille be held accountable?

Once the wheels fall off this current core, Kopitar and Doughty are shells/retired, and the team has never won a playoff round.

Another 2-4 years, IMO.

I’ve been pretty vocal about this being a meme season for me and I stick by that. I don’t have any expectations for this team considering their recent history. But I also wouldn’t be shocked if they suddenly flipped a switch and made the conference finals. The meme season is above all else unpredictable.

Reactions: KINGS17

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Look at many other (good) teams who even blow 3-0/4-0 leads.

Every day when I watch all of that, I wonder how much the meltdown will be here at this place when that happens.

Its the same old story all over again. Some might think we are playing in an amateur league. There is extremely much parity in this league. Its not the NBA. Yes, it’s possible you blow a 2-1 lead vs a bottom feeder.

I wished we had won all 27 games too. So far I can only think of three games that got lost, which annoyed me.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnjm22

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
Frankly I’m a little concerned if you’re NOT concerned we were a shootout goal from a borderline lottery team away from another blown 2 goal lead and 4 game losing streak.

That’s where the consternation is coming from.
Some of us dont sweat over 1 regular season game in december

I you noted other concerns like TM being a an awful coach then I wouldn't being criticizing your posts. But a regular season game... cmon

Reactions: Frolov 6'3

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
I don’t think message boards are for you. There are going to be criticisms and opposing views. It’s so weird when people come to a message board and try to police it to fit their favored tone.

Reactions: chris kontos

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Look at many other (good) teams who even blow 3-0/4-0 leads.

Every day when I watch all of that, I wonder how much the meltdown will be here at this place when that happens.

Its the same old story all over again. Some might think we are playing in an amateur league. There is extremely much parity in this league. Its not the NBA. Yes, it’s possible you blow a 2-1 lead vs a bottom feeder.

I wished we had won all 27 games too. So far I can only think of three games that got lost, which annoyed me.

Wait, you got annoyed at losses? I thought we weren’t allowed to do that.

To add….

Some of us dont sweat over 1 regular season game in december

I you noted other concerns like TM being a an awful coach then I wouldn't being criticizing your posts. But a regular season game... cmon

…it’s not one. It would have been 4. And we just blew a 2-0 lead to NYI. It’s patterns. And i literally said right above that it’s not about a bullshit one-off game in December, it’s about how that will play into an oppnent with a 7 game series.

I don’t know why you guys are policing this in such manner. My point is I don’t care so much about the points in the standings, it’s all about the playoffs, and the patterns we’re establishing. Sutter used to say it’s not whether you win or lose, it’s whether you’re winning or losing. I’m much more interested in the ‘how‘ at this point. That’s the nuance that gets lost when people bitch about bitching.

So, yeah, I’m annoyed at blowing another 2-0 lead against an inferior opponent and the ‘how’ that led to that, especially with how they’ve been absolutely wrecked by the last few superior opponents they’ve faced. Rattling off a string of ugly victories against lottery teams onlhy to get slaughtered by playoff teams is problematic and that’s the phenomenon i’m worried about…but then also blowing a lead to Seattle on the heels of that is emblematic.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Butcher

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
You can’t compare Vilardi to Quick. Quick was dead in the water so it doesn’t sting, the only thing about Quick that was arguably done poorly was the goaltending coach was likely at fault or his own ego.

Vilardi now that was 100% a mistake and I said it the day the trade happened, the Kings traded arguably even objectively their most talented forward from the draft for PLD who had so much baggage on him of his attitude and effort. Vilardi stings a lot because it was never a trade that should have happened, especially the package that was given up for him, and the contract given to PLD. The fact that Iafallo is even outperforming PLD makes this a lot worse. PLD is only getting some rope because we have no choice but to be patient for a player that has shown no reason to deserve patience. There was people bitching incessantly about Vilardis health when he was tearing it up and it seems like despite the fact that Vilardi may never play a full season, he will out perform PLD regardless. So that argument was trash to begin with. I was very pissed when the Kings gave up Vilardi so I’m heavily biased, but it’s not without merit.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00