GDT: 2023-24 season Game 2 LA Kings vs Carolina Hurricanes @7:30pm 10/14/23

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
For those who still don't understand what they're seeing, break it down Barney style for us.
There is a "0-axis" which essentially shows the average. You can eyeball it by seeing essentially where all the bars consistently split, or you can look at the bottom of the chart and find the 0. Bars to the left of it say the contributions of that particular area (offense, defense, production, and miscellaneous) were below average. Bars to the right of it are above average. The scores then get "added".

Fiala's production of 3 assists definitely boost his "production" area, as well as Kopitar's 2 goals. So, you can see the lighter blue being much longer than what anyone else. I don't know exactly what Dom's model utilizes to measure each component, but it's to give examples.

The higher up on the chart, the more positive your contributions on the ice were overall.

So, this chart is saying Fiala's contribution of offense, defense, production, and miscellaneous was better than anyone else on the Kings. And that Jordan Spence was the worst.

It's based on data that is returned from some API call to the NHL statistics gathered. So, Spence keeping the puck on the powerplay multiple times because they were clearing attempts has zero impact on this model, because that sort of data isn't tracked. A bad pass to a teammate who can't control it may show that the teammate has a giveaway, instead of the original passer who set up the teammate poorly.

Then, of course, the model puts different weight on different things - for example, if Kevin Fiala gives the puck away on the powerplay that leads to a shorthanded goal against, it will have just as much weight as a player making an errant pass in the offensive zone that gets picked off. A "giveaway" without any additional context may have smaller impacts.

This is probably more than what you asked for. But the way this game went exposes some serious flaws in Dom's model of calculating a "raw game score" based on how statistics are logged in the game. It's part of why using raw analytics is a very unwise approach. BUT, it can be a good tool when used properly to evaluate and measure what you have seen, because implicit biases from the eye test can also be flawed.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
dtw1014.jpg

Reactions: psych3man

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
So is it time to call up Rittich?

So far Talbot and Copley have stunk
No. Goaltenders often need games to settle. That said Cooley was poor last night and was at fault for at least 3, possibly 4 goals (need a better angle on the 4th). He did not look sharp to me, undercooked after a disjointed preseason. I hope that’s all it is anyway.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
No. Goaltenders often need games to settle. That said Cooley was poor last night and was at fault for at least 3, possibly 4 goals (need a better angle on the 4th). He did not look sharp to me, undercooked after a disjointed preseason. I hope that’s all it is anyway.

Was just coming to say this....2 goals I know he wants back, the Aho breakaway (every goaltender at every level is taught, to keep the stick on the ice when you go down, he didn't, that was brutal) and the shot from the peanut vendor from the observation deck, JC, same issue that Tablot had, as an NHL goaltender you can not let that in. The Lemiuex goal, possibly, that one is a 50/50 to me, one where we need a goaltender to make that stop, but it wasn't as egregrious as the previous two.

Reactions: David Lunch

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Anyone else think that TM's XBox controller got jammed on those three Fiala giveaways?

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Was just coming to say this....2 goals I know he wants back, the Aho breakaway (every goaltender at every level is taught, to keep the stick on the ice when you go down, he didn't, that was brutal) and the shot from the peanut vendor from the observation deck, JC, same issue that Tablot had, as an NHL goaltender you can not let that in. The Lemiuex goal, possibly, that one is a 50/50 to me, one where we need a goaltender to make that stop, but it wasn't as egregrious as the previous two.
the kotkaniemi goal is the unacceptable one, rvh goalie beat from the bottom of the circle, under the pad while on his post? no way. probably some jitters at that point but you can't let those in when the guy at the other end is coolly sliding around his crease easily stopping everything. not sure freddie swam once until that fiala shootout chance and even then he made the stop

lemieux was a snipe imo and even if you need the goalie to make those stops, you can't expect it from a replacement-level guy like him

as an aside that dom model having fiala at the top for defensive play is some of the funniest shit i've ever seen, literally 3 of those goals were straight off his stick or because of his laziness

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Dubois looked so much better the few times he was coming up off the wing

Would like to see him on LW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad