GDT: 2023-24 season game 19 LA Kings vs Montreal Canadiens @1:00pm 11/25/23

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
The Kings, with their excellent play, and Copley's improvement to "average", have allowed Blake to postpone a goaltending decision until the deadline. They don't have to get bent over to make a change now. This gives extra time to further evaluate both goaltenders as the season progresses.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
Jonathan Quick
Come back home.

jonathan-quick-kings.jpg

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Jonathan Quick

We need someone better. Quick's numbers are gaudy right now, but he's been under .900 in half of his starts. Shutouts against Nashville (9 shots against) and Edmonton when the wheels were off really prop up his numbers. The one really good start he had was the Pittsburgh shutout, even though they are a .500 team. He's faced only two tough teams (Detroit and Boston) and given up 3 and 4 goals in those.

He's better than Copley, but if Shesterkin goes down NY would be in a similar position to the Kings if Talbot did. I like Varlamov a little better, but his numbers are being propped up by poor competition as well. He tended to struggle against the best teams last year, but he did have at least some really good starts against top teams over the season. Notably against Vegas, who he only allowed 3 goals against over 2 games.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I think he is, but more because Copley has dropped off a bit.
Has he though? Looked pretty good the last two games he played.

Everyone is drooling over Quick's stats but we quickly forget that the franchise's top goaltender of all time was TRADED because of his poor play.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
You'd have to be fine with giving up multiple top tier assets....
Those guys will be pricey for sure.

A couple of guys I would consider are Nedeljkovic and Stolarz. At the worst you are getting a good backup at a decent price. Both of those guys have put up really good numbers with a capable team in front of them.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

A couple of guys I would consider are Nedeljkovic and Stolarz. At the worst you are getting a good backup at a decent price. Both of those guys have put up really good numbers with a capable team in front of them.

There are some decent upcoming UFAs and a ton of RFAs as well that could be good options plus you would think they'd be chomping at the bit to play behind our D.

But I do think Blake needs to think longer term, you can only put bandaids on a gusher for so long.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The idea that LA shouldn't try and further solidify the goaltending position is obviously silly.

Whether or not they'll actually be able to do that is another story.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016

How about Kahkonen? Looked somewhat promising when he was in Minnesota.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
There are some decent upcoming UFAs and a ton of RFAs as well that could be good options plus you would think they'd be chomping at the bit to play behind our D.

But I do think Blake needs to think longer term, you can only put bandaids on a gusher for so long.
If Talbot is healthy, I would feel confident with him leading us in the playoffs. I think it's more about how the D takes away the passing lanes and lets him focus on the puck. He hasn't allowed many softies this year.

Playoffs can be a different animal. You even see some of these $5/6/7/8+ million guys who get roughed up.

Curious to see what happens w/ some of these contracts and how much cap we have. Just glanced at the 2024 NHL Free Agent tracker and the only UFA i'd be interested in is Lankinen. Maybe pull off a trade for Swayman or one of these other guys.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

Stolarz has a career .912 sv% while mostly playing for total shitshow teams. He's also huge (6ft 6in, 240lbs).

I thought he would have been a better option than re-signing Copely. He was already here in California.

I don't see any reason why Florida would trade him though.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Stolarz has a career .912 sv% while mostly playing for total shitshow teams. He's also huge (6ft 6in, 240lbs).

I thought he would have been a better option than re-signing Copely. He was already here in California.

I don't see any reason why Florida would trade him though.
Cap Friendly is showing Stolarz making $1.1 mill and an UFA next year. At $1.5 mill I would rather have Stolarz over Copley as well.

Bobrovsky is signed through 2025-26 at $10 mill per year (OUCH!) They have Knight waiting and there is a decent chance he becomes their backup next year and Stolarz should be free to sign.

UPDATE: I didn't realize what was going on with Knight as far as his struggles with OCD. He has a $4.5 salary through 2025-26 (buried penalty?) whie being part of the NHL/NHLPA player assistance program. Doesn't count towards the cap.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If Talbot is healthy, I would feel confident with him leading us in the playoffs. I think it's more about how the D takes away the passing lanes and lets him focus on the puck. He hasn't allowed many softies this year.

Playoffs can be a different animal. You even see some of these $5/6/7/8+ million guys who get roughed up.

Curious to see what happens w/ some of these contracts and how much cap we have. Just glanced at the 2024 NHL Free Agent tracker and the only UFA i'd be interested in is Lankinen. Maybe pull off a trade for Swayman or one of these other guys.

I agree for this year. All I want this year is for Talbot to have a backup that can keep him rested. If Copley has figured it back out to .900, great.

I'm thinking next year/long term.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad