2023-24 Roster Thread #8: A Cam York State of Mind

What will be the highest 2024 draft pick acquired by the Flyers prior to the March 8, 2024 deadline?

• 1st

Votes: 24 38.1%
  • 2nd

Votes: 24 38.1%
  • 3rd

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 4th

• 5th

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6th

• 7th

• No pick will be acquired.

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • A pick will be acquired but for 2025 (or later), not this year.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Light mode users I swear

phoO9L.gif

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Cam York is really good.

He’s a lot of fun to watch.

I wonder when a dman drafted in his range has ever been so dead-on regarding expectations/predictions. "Definitely not a 1D, but will be reliable middle guy" is the kind of appraisal that ends with someone topping out as a #6. And so many were really confident about this.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The timeline is really the strangest part.

Torts apparently barges into the Flyers FO and demands Couturier be made captain...
next game cuts his ice time from 18 minutes he has averaged over the previous 5 games to under 13 minutes...
has not played him more than ~16 minutes since...
he played ~4 games on 2nd line after the initial game of ice time cut, in the 4th game vs the Pens he set up two goals...
next game he is skating in the bottom six...
only has one point since...
last ~4-5 games he played he had been stapled to 4th line...
game before he was scratched he helped create a goal for Nick Deslauriers with some dogged play, almost sparked a comeback... but Couturier did not see ice after the shift where he set up the goal...
scratched next game.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
What'd I miss

As of Tuesday afternoon, Erik Lupien hadn’t spoken with his client about his getting pulled from the lineup. But he did speak with him several days ago when Couturier’s ice time had already been trending downward. Couturier was averaging about 20 minutes on Jan. 13; he’s at 16:10 per game since.

Couturier was puzzled by his diminished role even before Tuesday’s scratching.

“He was clueless about his ice time, why his ice time went down,” Lupien said. “But he said, ‘I’m just going to manage and play whatever he maybe wants me to play. If it’s 14 minutes, it’s going to be 14 minutes.’”
“Throughout last year and at the beginning of (this) year, in the conversations with Sean, he always told me that Tortorella and him had a pretty good relationship,” Lupien said. “As soon as we get through that character, he’s a pretty funny guy. And the conversations are good with him, and he knows what the team wants and what he wants from him.

“From my point of view, when I saw the news (Couturier was scratched), I’m like, I really hope the communication why and the reasons why are really clear. I hope he’s going to get an explanation soon because he’s the captain, a leader of the team, and he has ‘Philadelphia’ tattooed on his chest since he got drafted. That’s why he wanted to sign there and to sign a long contract. I hope he’s going to get that respect from John Tortorella.”
“Sean won’t learn anything by being in the bleachers tonight,” Lupien said. “He’s not a second-year pro that went through a cold streak. Sean is a leader and the captain of this team, so by putting him in the bleachers, for a player, he’s going to be ashamed to be there tonight. If there’s no communication of why between the two, in 2024, from my perspective, it ain’t always good to coach and establish regimental fear. And these guys are in the playoff picture.

“With your captain, you have to work together as a team. You want to send a message to the other guys, it has to go through your captain and your assistant. So now you’re not communicating with him. So, OK, what’s next?”

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
The timeline is really the strangest part.

Torts apparently barges into the Flyers FO and demands Couturier be made captain...
next game cuts his ice time from 18 minutes he has averaged over the previous 5 games to under 13 minutes...
has not played him more than ~16 minutes since...
he played ~4 games on 2nd line after the initial game of ice time cut, in the 4th game vs the Pens he set up two goals...
next game he is skating in the bottom six...
only has one point since...
last ~4-5 games he played he had been stapled to 4th line...
game before he was scratched he helped create a goal for Nick Deslauriers with some dogged play, almost sparked a comeback... but Couturier did not see ice after the shift where he set up the goal...
scratched next game.

Sounds like Tortorella made himself a nice punching bag for the drama queen he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad