2023-24 Roster Thread #8: A Cam York State of Mind

What will be the highest 2024 draft pick acquired by the Flyers prior to the March 8, 2024 deadline?

• 1st

Votes: 24 38.1%
  • 2nd

Votes: 24 38.1%
  • 3rd

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 4th

• 5th

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6th

• 7th

• No pick will be acquired.

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • A pick will be acquired but for 2025 (or later), not this year.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackandOrange

Jul 12, 2018
Breadalbane, PE
Which one is the star and which is the goon? Last 14 gp. Which is Ghost and which is Atkinson? Edit: They aren't put into pairs but could be anywhere from choice 1 to 4.

14 games, three goals, ten assists, +1

14 games, zero goals, three assists, -13.

14 games, zero goals, zero assists, -6

14 games, one goal, zero assists, +2

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Which one is the star and which is the goon? Last 14 gp. Which is Ghost and which is Atkinson? Edit: They aren't put into pairs but could be anywhere from choice 1 to 4.

14 games, three goals, ten assists, +1

14 games, zero goals, three assists, -13.

14 games, zero goals, zero assists, -6

14 games, one goal, zero assists, +2
Great post

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Torts literaly wants Cooter to kick in his office door and fight him

"beaf***ingFlyer"
I wish he would. I wish he’d break Tort’s other arm, his legs, his jaw and a few ribs too. Hell, I’d start a fund to pay his bail. Tortorella is a smug, manipulative piece of shit and absolutely deserves the beating that one of his players needs to give him.

If ever a coach deserved a full scale player revolt, its the god emperor John Tortorella

Reactions: Audible Velvet

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

This is a good point. Banishing players to a line with Deslauries who’s essentially tanked almost everybody’s results on the team is an easy way for Tortorella to manufacture a preferred outcome so he can prove his point. On top of just playing limited minutes as well of course.

That’s not Deslauries’ fault. He’s been one of the worst regular used forwards in the NHL before he came to the Flyers & that trend has continued in his time here. He’s playing to the best of his abilities but those abilities just aren’t good & it’s ultimately on the talent evaluators to realize this.

Not that I think Tortorella or really many coaches are actually looking at these numbers but they do know the results & they ultimately don’t apply the context to realize why these results are because they often don’t understand how much usage can dictate those things.

Like I said yesterday there’s legit issues with Couturier’s offensive game but putting him in a fourth line role with a player like Deslauries is pretty much guaranteeing little to no offensive production.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

This is a good point. Banishing players to a line with Deslauries who’s essentially tanked almost everybody’s results on the team is an easy way for Tortorella to manufacture a preferred outcome so he can prove his point. On top of just playing limited minutes as well of course.

That’s not Deslauries’ fault. He’s been one of the worst regular used forwards in the NHL before he came to the Flyers & that trend has continued in his time here. He’s playing to the best of his abilities but those abilities just aren’t good & it’s ultimately on the talent evaluators to realize this.

Not that I think Tortorella or really many coaches are actually looking at these numbers but they do know the results & they ultimately don’t apply the context to realize why these results are because they often don’t understand how much usage can dictate those things.

Like I said yesterday there’s legit issues with Couturier’s offensive game but putting him in a fourth line role with a player like Deslauries is pretty much guaranteeing little to no offensive production.

This reminds me of Chris Stewart.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
This reminds me of Chris Stewart.

Tortorella did same thing with Frost earlier this year between just healthy scratching. He created a situation that was always going to confirm his beliefs. He views Frost as a pure offensive player which in reality isn’t true but then put him usage that was pretty hard to produce in. Then used that evidence to justify his position.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I said this at the beginning of the season when I projected points for each forward, and I still believe it. For Couts, the number 1 prime objective was to get through this season without significant injury time -- and for the most part he's done that. Sure he's banged up, playing through something, but he's not missing games because of injury. Getting time on ice should be the most important thing for this Couts.

Instead, their process from opening night was to play Couts 20 mins per game. For a team who wanted to win games, that makes a lot of sense, but for a rebuilding it makes none. Just like anyone with half a brain could have guessed, he was pressed too hard and was injured, which is still apparently nagging him.

But instead of giving the team's best player, and well-known consummate professional any leeway, the head coach has elected to scratch him. It doesn't make any sense, and I would like to know what Torts is thinking here. Is he trying to coagulate the group through this rough stretch by making himself the villain? Or, does he actually think that scratching Couts is the best thing for the team because he's not playing well. Or is there some other option.

Either case is preposterous. It's the former, he's seriously damaging his relationship with the entire team in the long-term, for what? Making the playoffs as a 6 seed and getting rocked in the playoffs? This isn't Frost we're talking about. It's not even scratching Sanheim in Calgary. This is nuclear, this is very much shooting yourself in the foot. There's no benefit here. If it's the latter and Torts thinks Couts just isn't very good right now, he needs to get his eyes checked. Couts is not Couts from previous years, but he's also no where near the worst skater in the forward group. Not even close.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
As always, Torts is damn lucky he’s in a position of extreme authority.

Try that as a manager in a fire hall, a mechanic shop, hell even a Burger King - and odds are sooner than later you come out to a flat tire, or a scuffed up car.

He needs some time in the real world.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I said this at the beginning of the season when I projected points for each forward, and I still believe it. For Couts, the number 1 prime objective was to get through this season without significant injury time -- and for the most part he's done that. Sure he's banged up, playing through something, but he's not missing games because of injury. Getting time on ice should be the most important thing for this Couts.

Instead, their process from opening night was to play Couts 20 mins per game. For a team who wanted to win games, that makes a lot of sense, but for a rebuilding it makes none. Just like anyone with half a brain could have guessed, he was pressed too hard and was injured, which is still apparently nagging him.
Before the Christmas break, Coots played 615:34 and Frost played 352:48. And Couturier missed two games thru injury!

Roster Mismanagement 101.

Reactions: BillDineen

BlackandOrange

Jul 12, 2018
Breadalbane, PE
Which one is the star and which is the goon? Last 14 gp. Which is Ghost and which is Atkinson?

Answers
Ghost - 14 games, three goals, ten assists, +1

Couts - 14 games, zero goals, three assists, -13.

Atkinson - 14 games, zero goals, zero assists, -6

Deslauriers - 14 games, one goal, zero assists, +2

Reactions: Flyerfan4life
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad