2023-24 Roster Thread #8: A Cam York State of Mind

What will be the highest 2024 draft pick acquired by the Flyers prior to the March 8, 2024 deadline?

• 1st

Votes: 24 38.1%
  • 2nd

Votes: 24 38.1%
  • 3rd

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 4th

• 5th

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6th

• 7th

• No pick will be acquired.

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • A pick will be acquired but for 2025 (or later), not this year.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
If the market for Laughton has really fallen off, why not hold on to him and re-visit next deadline in hopes that he's having a better 2024-25 season? There might even be more interest with a year less on his contract, plus a year less of retained salary if we wanted to explore that as a sweetener.

I'd like to open up the roster a bit more, but not enough to sell low on one of our more flippable assets. An Atkinson buyout would be pretty palatable if we want to free up a lineup spot.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
It's certainly possible, but since he's been in North America, he's put up .893 and .900 over two seasons in the AHL, and .899 and .898 over two seasons in the NHL.

That doesn't scream future top 5-10 goalie in the NHL.

Of course, there's more to a top goalie than save percentage, and I would love it if he does become a top goalie, but a hot stretch of fewer than 20 games is not enough for me to believe otherwise at this point.
As it goes with all players at LHV, one can't take their stats there at face value. The Phantoms are a ****** club. Their play on the ice is horrendous. They'd make any goalie look bad. Then add in the factor of Ersson adjusting to the smaller NA rinks and his stats are even more deceiving. The guy is good as DH cited above. He has better fundamentals than Hart and pretty much plays within his game. His improved play is a key. Hart had leveled off but Ersson has shown steady improvement.

Reactions: scumpup

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
If the market for Laughton has really fallen off, why not hold on to him and re-visit next deadline in hopes that he's having a better 2024-25 season? There might even be more interest with a year less on his contract, plus a year less of retained salary if we wanted to explore that as a sweetener.

I'd like to open up the roster a bit more, but not enough to sell low on one of our more flippable assets. An Atkinson buyout would be pretty palatable if we want to free up a lineup spot.
I'm telling Tort's on you . You in BIG trouble .

• Haha
Reactions: BiggE and Redpath

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
As it goes with all players at LHV, one can't take their stats there at face value. The Phantoms are a ****** club. Their play on the ice is horrendous. They'd make any goalie look bad. Then add in the factor of Ersson adjusting to the smaller NA rinks and his stats are even more deceiving. The guy is good as DH cited above. He has better fundamentals than Hart and pretty much plays within his game. His improved play is a key. Hart had leveled off but Ersson has shown steady improvement.

I'm not disagreeing moreso than remaining unconvinced until I see it over a longer stretch.

I like him, I think he's looked very good, and has been stellar in shootouts. I want for him to succeed.

We have other promising prospects in the pipeline and it would be exciting to see one of them next year, though unlikely to be in the NHL. I'm guessing Kolosov would start in LHV, and Petersen might be NHL backup?

Sandstrom is a UFA and probably won't be back.

Reactions: scumpup and renberg

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

GE_mJf-WAAAlhyL

Probably time to eject. I don’t think he’ll be a as bad as he has been so far this year going forward but at the same I don’t think he’s upside is anything particularly noteworthy in a smaller capacity.

He got propped up last year with really favorable usage for a player of his ilk. So that also makes the drop off pretty drastic.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
GE_mJf-WAAAlhyL

Probably time to eject. I don’t think he’ll be a as bad as he has been so far this year going forward but at the same I don’t think he’s upside is anything particularly noteworthy in a smaller capacity.

He got propped up last year with really favorable usage for a player of his ilk. So that also makes the drop off pretty drastic.
Don't worry, Torts will make sure he stays.

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
I can't wait for everyone in the Charlie O'Connor sphere to take a rebuild victory lap after they trade Seeler for a third. Like what is the actual plan here? Do the Flyers really think the only thing between them and contention is more 3rd round picks?
My favorite argument anywhere. Trading Seeler for a 3rd woop de doo right? Well what if that 3rd we got for Seeler could be packaged with another asset to get something even better than a 3rd? Trades don't have to stop once you've moved the player you can keep trading for better things. The wonder

Reactions: Rebels57

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
My favorite argument anywhere. Trading Seeler for a 3rd woop de doo right? Well what if that 3rd we got for Seeler could be packaged with another asset to get something even better than a 3rd? Trades don't have to stop once you've moved the player you can keep trading for better things. The wonder
yah they can package and lose even more value..

#Culture....

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
Cool. Wake me up in 2047 when they've managed to package up enough third round picks into a 1C.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I would be shocked if more than 3 players are traded for futures. Other trades could happen but asking for a half a dozen guys to be moved for draft picks between now and the deadline is unrealistic

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Briere says anything that's close to the truth between now and March 8th, he should be fired.

That is, of course he loves all his players like they were his children and it would break his heart to part with them, say, a 1st rd pick, well, never wanted a big family anyway.

Reactions: BernieParent

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
They have their own #1, FLA's #1 provided it is 11-32 (if it's top 10, we get next year's pick), a compensatory 2nd round pick for not signing Jay O'Brien, and we will find out after the 1st round if we are getting Columbus's 2nd round pick this year or next year.

In an optimal world, we could have 2 picks each round, and a #1 and 2 #2s next year. In a pessimal world, we have 1 pick in each round, and in 2025 we have 2 1sts and 3 2nds.

The most likely outcome is 2 #1s and the compensatory #2 this year, and next year our own #1 and 3 2nds.
It's still wild to me that Columbus can decide 24 hours before someone has to make the pick, who exactly will be making that second round selection. It definitely puts the Flyers in a tight spot re: the draft and figuring out if they can move up/down to target someone.

I can't wait for everyone in the Charlie O'Connor sphere to take a rebuild victory lap after they trade Seeler for a third. Like what is the actual plan here? Do the Flyers really think the only thing between them and contention is more 3rd round picks?
Briere is on record replying to the question "how are you going to get more elite talent?" by saying "we drafted pretty high the last 2 years."

This organization told us they think Gauthier and Michkov were all the elite talent they needed.

The roster now + the prospects we have are the entire team rebuilt. They pick in the 10-20 range in the first round from here on out.

Last edited:

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
It's still wild to me that Columbus can decide 24 hours before someone has to make the pick, who exactly will be making that second round selection. It definitely puts the Flyers in a tight spot re: the draft and figuring out if they can move up/down to target someone.
It's ridiculous we agreed to it but it will have no impact. No chance Columbus conveys this year given where they are in the standings.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
GE_mJf-WAAAlhyL

Flyers trade someone who doesn't meet their timeline while they have value challenge (impossible)

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Where goalies are drafted is basically irrelevant, outside of a handful of first round picks.
Shesterkin was a 4th rd pick, Hellebuyck 5th, Swayman 4th, Demko 2nd, Saros 4th, and so on.

Ersson, after a rough start, has played like a top ten goalie - but it may take a couple years for him to develop the stamina (mentally and physically) to maintain that pace over 50 games.

And the one things the Flyers do well historically is develop goalies.
How many decades ago? Pelle, Hextall, and ?????

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Briere is on record replying to the question "how are you going to get more elite talent?" by saying "we drafted pretty high the last 2 years.

He said it knowing Gauthier wasn't signing! Make it make sense. Ditto for everything Frost.

I like Drysdale's skill-set plenty, but I've been upfront saying his bar to clear is top 4+PP guy (and he looks the most natural PP QB in the organization). But the projection, despite the inevitable hype-train, is not elite talent given the known sample. At no point has the calculus changed with the only elite talent being Michkov (and an age 30ish borderline Konecny).

Last edited:

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
They have to try to get a 1st somehow. Walker + Laughton or Hathaway would give a contender some good depth for a 1st and prospect or other picks. I'd trade Risto if anyone wanted him. Seeler and Staal should go too. I don't think Atkinson will garner interest. Basically, trade everyone they can, bring up some kids and let's see what we've got. #AccidentalOnPurposeTank2024
Walker and prospect/say a 3rd should get you a 1st.

Wonder what it would take to get Kaapo out of NY? Are the Rangers desperate?

Reactions: Larry44

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

Briere is on record replying to the question "how are you going to get more elite talent?" by saying "we drafted pretty high the last 2 years.

This organization told us they think Gauthier and Michkov were all the elite talent they needed.

The roster now + the prospects we have are the entire team rebuilt. They pick in the 10-20 range in the first round from here on out.
When did this happen? Where was this said?

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Are they gonna take their ball and go home if they don't get a first for Walker? That will show them

If they really wanted a first for Walker and really were rebuilding they would have moved him a month or so ago when the hype on him was super high

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
When did this happen? Where was this said?

PHLY: You mentioned the need for high-end talent. I know from the start – from your very first press conference as interim GM – you made it clear that this was a rebuild, not a tank. But there is an argument to be made that if high-end talent is the biggest need, the best and most efficient way to get it is to draft high. You guys are looking like you’re a lot better than expected – you’re not necessarily looking like you’re going to draft high. How do you get that high-end talent without drafting in the top-10?

"Well, we did draft high the last two years. So that would be the start of it. But like I said, when you’re not spending $12 million on a player, or even two like Edmonton does… Colorado has three or four high-end guys. We’re not going to be built that way. So depth will be important to us.

That’s kind of what we’re doing. You see it up front with some of our young guys kind of starting to come. We have so many young guys. Probably won’t have to pay the $12 million (for a guy), but we’ll pay to have the depth and be able to match Line 1 to 4 with teams."

tumblr_nvbcs7oXCy1r0nafao3_400.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad