Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion XIII: On the eve of the trade deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Then he should be trading DeBrusk, Grizz and Forbort
Just because you have a yardsale does not mean everyone wants your junk.

Maybe those 3 players have low value on the GM market. We know one does from the lowball offers, the second has a career low year, and the third has not been right since his injury months ago.

Still time left.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

Maybe those 3 players have low value on the GM market. We know one does from the lowball offers, the second has a career low year, and the third has not been right since his injury months ago.

Still time left.
So much time left.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
Guessing this is the phone in Sweeney's office
1000004031.jpg

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
If nothing get ryan jo at 50 percent off and give flyers a 5th round pick or something. Need a center cant have geekie taking top line duties.
Depends how you are looking at things.Do you view this Bruins team as a group to sink assets into? Bruins goaltending always gives them a chance but it's time to hoard our picks I think.Just sitting out 1 deadline makes huge difference.This time next season they will be set up way better is my bet.

Guessing this is the phone in Sweeney's office
View attachment 831434
Serious question. What do you want him to do.Just give me an example of a deal u think he should make

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Still time left.

There are some guys no better, and in some cases worse than these guys boing moved around and getting 3 round picks in return

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I've said that I would be ok with the bruins doing nothing at the deadline cause of how much they gave up last year, and I still believe that. BUT all these reports about the bruins being in on everything and having big plans have me antsy. I just want to know what the actual plan is.

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
Serious question. What do you want him to do.Just give me an example of a deal u think he should make

if they are certain they can't resign DeBrusk or Gryz or if they know the former doesn't want to be here I'd flip either one or both for a guy who does, even if said guy is an equal across the boards. If they think they can keep a Toffoli or Duclair I'd do it

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
There are some guys no better, and in some cases worse than these guys boing moved around and getting 3 round picks in return
Good bet Bruins standing pat and he is viewing them walking as rental deals.I been wrong before but signs not pointing at deals based on assets Bruins have.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Stay the course doesn't mean throw guys overboard
Exactly. Time to set some realistic expectations on exactly what JDB/Grizz/Forbort are worth:

JDB: I'd equate his value to what Ottawa got for Tarasenko. A conditional 4th + a 3rd. Whoop de do!

Grizz/Forbort: Most folks on here would have happily swapped either of them for Edmundson straight up. Edmundson went for a 3rd + 5th, which was an overpay. So basically, Grizz/Forbort are worth a couple of 4th rounders each. Tops. Whoop de do!

Ullmark: Still no goalie moves, and Markstrom is also out there being shopped. Best case scenario is you get a very low 1st, and more likely a 2nd rounder for either of them.

So assuming we package up the whole bunch and find takers, we basically give up a top 6 forward, and top half NHL goalie and 2 LD for a 2nd, a 3rd and a shit-ton of 4th round picks.....and then we are supposed to package that up with the cap space we gain and somehow make this team BETTER for a playoff push?

.....piece of cake.

Last edited:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
if they are certain they can't resign DeBrusk or Gryz or if they know the former doesn't want to be here I'd flip either one or both for a guy who does, even if said guy is an equal across the boards. If they think they can keep a Toffoli or Duclair I'd do it
Alot of teams after Duclair I read.

GrizzlyAdams

Sep 18, 2014
If you want to be in the same exact position next year, a first round playoff team with plenty of holes, then by all means they should spend the limited assets that they have to get pending UFAs (Edmundson or Duhaime when they were available, Zucker, Toffoli, Dumba, that sort). Some would be happy. Some wouldn’t. But first round playoff purgatory is not a place I want them to be stuck. I think this team needs more drastic changes that just aren’t as available to them at this time.

For starters, they are sorely missing a 1C and lacking better quality defense. As others have pointed out, next year’s UFA class at 1C isn’t going to help, meaning you will need to make a trade to address that hole. And while Zacha and Coyle have filled in very well, they are being asked too much. They are gonna have to make a legit effort to bring in a Hertl or a Draisatl or that sort of big impact change. It pushes Zacha and Coyle into positions in the lineup where they are better built to succeed. But they need more assets to make that happen. Lohrei, Poitras, Frederic, extra picks, some combination of those pieces addresses those core needs.

Trading a guy like DeBrusk and Gryz (or both) doesn’t suddenly make the B’s not a playoff team. And with all due respect to them, keeping them doesn’t make them much better equipped for a deeper playoff run. I’d like to see them explore what they could get for either of them 50% retained and then really gear up in the offseason with the extra cap space.

Might look like throwing in the towel on this season when they’re a top 5 team in the standings. But I think it helps them stabilize in the long term with deeper playoff runs. Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad