Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion XIII: On the eve of the trade deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dumba doesn't look very good this year.

Duhaime only got a 2026 3rd, so either Sweeney didn't like him, or offered less. I know that Guerin would've preferred to not deal him to a division rival(CO).

Reactions: bbfan419

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Duhaime only got a 2026 3rd, so either Sweeney didn't like him, or offered less. I know that Guerin would've preferred to not deal him to a division rival(CO).

He is not the type of person you worry about where they go, you just get the best deal you can

Reactions: TSBruins13

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
We had Harry Sinden, the man threw around nickels like they were sewer covers, told players to go yodel, drafted players in the first round and told them they were ranked lower so he was paying them less, walked away from arbitration awards, dealt players who looked for money for terrible returns.

Sweeney is mediocre, we have had worse, they don't make Sweeney better.
Mediocre GMs dont win GM of the Year awards.
Has he been Teflon Don? No, plenty to criticize during his tenure.
But he is not the terrible GM people are hyperboling about around here.

If Don does something, NOT ENOUGH, DID NOT FLEECE THEM, TOO EXPENSIVE,

If Don does nothing, IS HE ASLEEP, WHY IS HE DOING NOTHING, IDIOT CANT MAKE A TRADE.

I just get annoyed with posts that blame someone all the time without putting themselves in their shoes.

Pretty certain we dont know jack rabbit here about how to be a hockey GM or coach. Monday morning quarterbacking is just embarrassing to me I guess.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Mediocre GMs dont win GM of the Year awards.
Has he been Teflon Don? No, plenty to criticize during his tenure.
But he is not the terrible GM people are hyperboling about around here.

If Don does something, NOT ENOUGH, DID NOT FLEECE THEM, TOO EXPENSIVE,

If Don does nothing, IS HE ASLEEP, WHY IS HE DOING NOTHING, IDIOT CANT MAKE A TRADE.

I just get annoyed with posts that blame someone all the time without putting themselves in their shoes.

Pretty certain we dont know jack rabbit here about how to be a hockey GM or coach. Monday morning quarterbacking is just embarrassing to me I guess.

Still feels like his flaws outweigh his strengths over the years. Which renders him an average GM since many are this way.

If Cassidy didn't save their jobs by shifting Debrusk to Perfection line then last season's success does not happen and many more would agree Sweeney was a net negative.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Sweeney doesn't have space to add even Duhaime, let alone Dumba without other moves being made. If he was interested, maybe Guerin opted for the bird in the hand instead of waiting for Sweeney to figure out how to make cap room.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
I'm fine not adding but still think they need to sell the two UFAs. DeBrusk could absolutely get a late 1st, and Gryz could probably get a 4th, maybe a 3rd. Could retain on both if there's no plan to use the space.

Give Lorhei the full time job and let Lysell see some NHL time to replace DeBrusk.
JDB+JVR+Grzylzyck and even Swayman can all be used the replenish the prospect+picks pool, then the big signings and trades come next summer.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Sweeney doesn't have space to add even Duhaime, let alone Dumba without other moves being made. If he was interested, maybe Guerin opted for the bird in the hand instead of waiting for Sweeney to figure out how to make cap room.
Maybe they wanted the pic and not a player or cap dump trade.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
JDB+JVR+Grzylzyck and even Swayman can all be used the replenish the prospect+picks pool, then the big signings and trades come next summer.
I would again encourage people to look at the UFA market and figure out what "big signings" are going to even be out there. A few sure. But there isn't much.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I don’t want him….at allllllllllll

But DeAngelo fell far and hard in 3 years time
Cryin shame
The hate Don gets around here is weird.

Makes me wish we had Dave Nonis just to teach everyone just what a bad GM is.

Traffic Cone with a broom in it.
At least folks have let up on the "still evaluating" and "he's afraid to make a big move" narratives after last year

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I would again encourage people to look at the UFA market and figure out what "big signings" are going to even be out there. A few sure. But there isn't much.
Assuming that Don will play big in the UFA market and not trade for the positions he wants. Sounds like Don is doing a lot of groundwork. I don't expect Linus to be in a spoked B on opening night. Nor do I think at least 1/3 of the current roster.

Reactions: RoccoF14

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Its a shame, I really would have loved to see a three team hockey trade go down. Not just because it would have been a perfect fit for Boston. Just doesnt seem like it will happen at this point. Sounds like Guentzel to the rangers if they include Kakko?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad