Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion XII: The sky is falling!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Anyone else see Arseneau kick Kempe’s azz in a January fight?
We have an enforcer in the farm, no need to trade for one.

Reactions: lewytown

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Why add minor pieces?

We don’t have enough to win the cup.

We should be selling and filling roster with farm boys giving them a head start for next year.

Delusional Donny thinks otherwise .

Out:

Debrusk
Forbort
Grizzly
Ullmark

In:

Bussi
Draft picks
2 dmen from farm
Scraps earned from trades

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
facepalm-really.gif
The above precisely encapsulates my thoughts, feelings and attitude toward the Boston Bruins under Don Sweeney.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Literally every player brought up here is said to be terrible by the same group of people. No suggestions, no chatting, just your idea is terrible.
That’s why it’s hard to post and I choose not to most times.

Jeff carter and Jared tinorodi good el cheapo pick ups on trade deadline.
Must trade Jake for a younger player or picks to be flipped for a younger player with term. Can’t loose him for nothing.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Anyone else see Arseneau kick Kempe’s azz in a January fight?
We have an enforcer in the farm, no need to trade for one.
You know your enforcer is on an AHL only deal and is 32 years old right?

Even if Arsenault was 22 and a prospect you need more than a designated fighter to be tough. This team needs a DNA redo that starts by getting rid of Sweeney.

That’s why it’s hard to post and I choose not to most times.

Must trade Jake for a younger player or picks to be flipped for a younger player with term. Can’t loose him for nothing.
Not picks, I would be happy if they traded JDB for Vatrano straight up. They will not do a long rebuild, they will spend in free agency this summer and say they are contenders. Vatrano will score more than JDB and is more physical.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
You know your enforcer is on an AHL only deal and is 32 years old right?

Even if Arsenault was 22 and a prospect you need more than a designated fighter to be tough. This team needs a DNA redo that starts by getting rid of Sweeney.

Not picks, I would be happy if they traded JDB for Vatrano straight up. They will not do a long rebuild, they will spend in free agency this summer and say they are contenders. Vatrano will score more than JDB and is more physical.
I think Donny is gonna try to package jake for hanifin. Just a feeling.

Reactions: HustleB

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I said that earlier. Not much support. I would 100% do it. Retain 1/2 on Jake

What do you see in Holloway? He is 22 years old and has 6 goals and 7 assists in 82 NHL games. He feels like a bottom 6 player at this point. But maybe there is more there, He had a nice scouting report in his draft season. I know Edmonton hasn't put him in position to succeed, but at the same time they are absolutely desperate for depth and haven't tried moving him up, so what do they see

Reactions: bruins4thecup65

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
If Sweeney trades for or signs Hanifin he will be putting himself into cap hell for the next 3 years.
McAvoy- 9.25 M NMC kicks in 2024-25 season until end of 27-28 season
Lindholm - 6.5 M NMC,NTC until the end of 26-27 season
Hanifin - probably 8.25 M with a NMC for at least the first 4 years.
That's 24 million in 3 defensemen add Carlo's 4 M plus 2 scrubs at a 1M
That's 30 M or 34% of your cap.
If they sign Hanifin, then LIndholm would have to be on the trading block.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If they sign Hanifin, then LIndholm would have to be on the trading block.
That’s the way I see it too, almost have to do it otherwise the d-group is going to be as soft as this years. Good yes, but built for the playoffs? probably not

Reactions: bbfan419

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Debrusk + Gryz for Evander Kane?
Merkulov +2025 1st + Forbort for Hanifin

Kane-Zacha-Pasta
Marchy-Coyle-Lysell

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If Sweeney trades for or signs Hanifin he will be putting himself into cap hell for the next 3 years.

Vegas, WPG, Carolina, Colorado, Vancouver, NYR and EDM all spend between 31% and 36% on their D group.

You just can’t do that AND spend 12m on the goalies as well.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Vegas, WPG, Carolina, Colorado, Vancouver, NYR and EDM all spend between 31% and 36% on their D group.

You just can’t do that AND spend 12m on the goalies as well.
It's a fact you need some rookies/1m Vets to balance out the cap costs.

Ullmark is going to get paid as a UFA, we have a year left and IMO Bussi is ready to back up. The team is ready to move on this summer and add. Moving Ullmark this summer just makes sense for the team in so many ways.

Only way I see him gone this week is if a GM throws us a desperation offer Don cannot refuse. Possible, but unlikely.

Reactions: Gordoff and Bodit9

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
We’d be trading Carlo to upgrade the offense.

Hanifin would be enough of an improvement over Carlo, that they could give a little bit at the 4d spot.

Is it prudent to spend 40+ % of the cap on the defense?

Are you comfortable with 66.666% of the defense being soft, thereby needing McAvoy to continue to need to eat minutes and provide almost all of the physicality?

Maybe Hanifin isn’t the right move if they’re not going to re-shape the rest of the defense.
Really you want to talk soft and this not against Hanifin post I would like him at the right cost, but you want to talk soft , Carlo has nearly 3-1 hits than Hanifin.

• Wow
Reactions: Gordoff

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
It's a fact you need some rookies/1m Vets to balance out the cap costs.

Ullmark is going to get paid as a UFA, we have a year left and IMO Bussi is ready to back up. The team is ready to move on this summer and add. Moving Ullmark this summer just makes sense for the team in so many ways.

Only way I see him gone this week is if a GM throws us a desperation offer Don cannot refuse. Possible, but unlikely.

I agree. I'm hoping though, with the rumors that Saros is off the block due to Nashville competing for a playoff spot and Markstrom possibly also being off the block that some team will be desperate enough this TDL to give some good assets for a goaltender. It's insane how bad some teams goaltending has been this year. TOR, COL, MIN, NJ, CAR, TB, PHI all getting .900s% goaltending or below. Woof!

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Is there any player that has ever been suggested to come here that you haven’t said is terrible?

Have you watched this team play since about Jan. 1?

I don’t know what team you’ve been watching but I’m typically as optimistic as anyone on this board and even I can’t make a case for this team doing anything other than a first round exit.

Is Dumba as good as Carlo?

No…..but Hanifin is….much better!

In this scenario…which likely won’t happen anyway….with Carlo, Hanifin, Lohrei and Lindholm as the 2-5 defensemen….its waaay too soft, IMO.

So add Hanifin to upgrade on Carlo and sign Dumba or a similar guy to do the dirty work.
Dumba will need a new contract next season are you willing to resign him if you do he will make more than Carlo, is that what you want a lesser d-man for more money.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
You want to pay Hanifin over 8 million, not sure I do, but you might have a better feel for the market then I do.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I get it.

I think this team will look very, very different next year though.

I don’t have a problem with Carlo, Lindholm, Lohrei or McAvoy, of course.

My only concern is that the defense lacks physicality and if by some miracle Hanifin came here, they’d improve the talent level, but not the physicality.

Plus, Hanifin would get paid at least 9 million….plus McAvoy’s 9, Lindholm’s 6, and Carlo’s 5….add in Lohrei and whoever the 6th guy is and
thats 30+ million on the top 6.

With Swayman needing a new deal, and the need to upgrade some forward spots.

If you’re gonna cut anywhere Lindholm or Carlo might make sense.
Carlo does not make 5 mil, his contract is team friendly and makes him more valuable to this team then some of the names being thrown out there like a Dumba......

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad