Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
The 2 are very similar players...Middleton younger but I would say Forbort is the better player, especially PK. Middleton is Forborts replacement should Forbs continue with nagging injury.

At this point, you can't trust Forbort to get healthy and stay healthy. He's had his "lower body injury" since camp.

Not a recipe for playoff success.

They're going to have to bring in someone else, or rely on Wotherspoon to step in. If it's the latter, than, as Ty Anderson points out (see Bruins Beat, above), management and coaching staff will have to test Parker with big minutes against good to elite clubs.

They're going to have to find out what they really have in Wotherspoon, and whether outside help is necessary.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
If we can move Gryz and replace him with Hanifin (not in the same deal), I'd be over the moon.
Hanifin-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Forbort-Shattenkirk
Lohrei-Wortherspoon
That's insane depth from the blueline and easily puts us with the best d-core and goalies in the NHL. Offense sells tickets, defense win championships.

Smaller deal to bring in Pat Maroon for the 4th line and I think we'd be fairly set for the playoffs.
Merkulov + 2025 1st for Hanifin (50% retained) (re-ups here as part of the deal)
Gryz to Chicago for one of their 3- 2nd round picks in 2024 (re-signs with buddies Foligno and Hall)
Maroon for Lauko

Marchy-Coyle-Pasta
JVR-Zacha-Debrusk
Freddy-Poitras-Geekie
Heinen-Beecher-Maroon
Steen/Boqvist

Hanifin-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Forbort-Shattenkirk
Lohrei-Wortherspoon

Sway
Ully
You had me up until Maroon. I think when it comes to upgrading the 4th line I would like to see a RH shot, physical and can play center.

We’ve always had someone to play this role whether that was Acciari, Wagner or Lazar and to a lesser extent Hathaway. I’d like to see someone bump Steen down.

My top options are Carrick, McCarron or Kunin

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Jake DeBrusk has really had it going on of late, connecting for eight goals and 14 points in 16 games since the Christmas break.

Now, with less than five weeks until the NHL’s March 8 trade deadline, the question is, will the Bruins 27-year-old winger be going … somewhere else?

“It’s a business, at the end of the day,” mused DeBrusk Sunday when asked if he had any desire to reach the free agent market July 1. “Hopefully it doesn’t get to that point. That’s kind of where I come from; I don’t even want to have that option … hopefully [a contract extension] gets done.”

Nonetheless, the calendar, along with past practices by the Bruins front office, suggest that it’s getting late. Just 33 days to go before the 3 p.m. deadline. The lights above the bar have been turned up slightly, the first sign of last call.

General manager Don Sweeney generally has been proactive in his dealings with veterans on expiring contracts, often signing players to extensions six months or more prior to their deals terming out.

In Brad Marchand’s case, the veteran left winger, then 28, signed an eight-year extension ($6.125 million AAV) in Sept. 2016, a deal that didn’t kick in until 13 months later. Charlie McAvoy signed his huge extension (eight years/$76 million) in Oct. 2021. He was only 23, under contract for that season, and would not have transitioned from restricted to unrestricted free agent status until this July 1.

So if it is DeBrusk’s time to go, some nine years after the Bruins selected him at No. 14, in the ‘15 draft, Sweeney will be breaking from past practice. It’s anybody’s guess, and that would seem to include DeBrusk, what the GM will do. The next contract negotiation Sweeney makes public will be his first.

DeBrusk’s situation could mirror what happened with Torey Krug in the wake of the pandemic-shortened 2019-20 season. Krug, then 29, termed out of his deal that summer and most everyone (hand up here) figured the veteran blue liner would sign a long-term extension with a healthy bump over the $5.25 million he averaged his previous four seasons. Instead, contract talks suddenly went colder than the corner of Portage and Main Streets, and Krug was outta here, signed as a UFA by the Blues for 7 years/$45.5 million. That annual average of $6.5 million, by the way, is around what DeBrusk might reasonably target as a free agent this July, if he gets there.

If the decision has been made not to keep DeBrusk for a figure north of his current $4 million AAV, at least for the next three years, then Krug’s case has to play a part in Sweeney’s thinking. He’ll have to weigh whether keeping DeBrusk around for a Stanley Cup run is worth more than whatever assets he could get in return.

For now, DeBrusk is here, though not at 100 percent. Whatever ails him kept him out of the Jan. 27 game in Philadelphia. Following the club’s 40-minute workout Sunday in Brighton, he said he was feeling better and sounded optimistic about his chances of suiting up Tuesday night when the Flames visit the Garden for the start of a seven-game homestand.

DeBrusk also sounded optimistic that he’ll get a deal done here.

“I always have optimism,” he said. “I feel like it would be pretty depressing if I didn’t have optimism that I’d be here. But it’s one of those things that I hope it gets done. I feel like I know where I stand in this lineup, and where I am with the guys in this room, and in the city as well, the highs and lows…”

Meanwhile, March 8 looms. The clock ticks.

“Probably when it gets around that time,” DeBrusk said with a slight smile, “if you ask me again [about a contract] and it doesn’t get done, I’ll probably be a little more nervous.”

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
IDK if he'd be available, but the guy that I'd keep an eye on is Yanni Gourde. Can play C/W, has some nasty to his game and has won a cup. Fringe 50pt player that plays a solid two-way game and has one more year on his deal. He'd be a $5.1 million cap hit for next season (assuming SEA wouldn't retain) and could be insurance if DeBrusk walks in FA.

Who is the 5 million you would send out to bring him in?

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Or you can wait and watch Dallas trade for him and resign him at the deadline. Zero guarantee whatsoever he makes it to July 1
You have to think the only way the Bruins take the plunge on deadline deal for Hanifin is if it comes with an extension.

I can’t see them paying the price to rent him. Especially so with the prices they paid last year.

Hanifin also holds some leverage. If he’s only willing to negotiate an extension with say Boston, that’s a huge leg up. We obviously don’t know any of this for sure.

I don’t think there is a wrong answer. It’s a challenging situation for Don to navigate.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I believe Poitras is dealing with an injury at the moment

When Poitras is fully healthy he will probably rotate in and out. I find it hard to justify Boqvist in the lineup over Poitras, who is still running close to 0.5 ppg. However, Boqvist does have a very impressive +/- ratio for his limited games this season.

My guess is that Poitras is not on track to make a playoff roster when everyone is healthy. That does not justify sending him down the OHL in my opinion. He still could be a make or break sub in the event of injury.

No harm will come from Poitras playing spot duty the rest of the way. He's not 18, he will soon be 20. He has already dominated juniors last year and proven he is ready for pro hockey. He has already played more than a full NCAA season of games this year between the NHL and WJC. He is still practicing with the best players in the world and some gap time allows him to work on conditioning. His development will be fine here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Who is the 5 million you would send out to bring him in?

If you acquire him at the TDL his contract would be pro-rated would it not? IIRC from past TDL's, teams don't take on the full cap hit at the TDL. Its usually around 25% of the cap as roughly 75% of the season has been played. Assuming that (which maybe I'm wrong) that would put Gourde at a $1.3 million hit for the rest of this season.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
You have to think the only way the Bruins take the plunge on deadline deal for Hanifin is if it comes with an extension.

I can’t see them paying the price to rent him. Especially so with the prices they paid last year.

Hanifin also holds some leverage. If he’s only willing to negotiate an extension with say Boston, that’s a huge leg up. We obviously don’t know any of this for sure.

I don’t think there is a wrong answer. It’s a challenging situation for Don to navigate.
I think this deadline would be much easier to navigate if Gryz was playing well this season, cause then it's an easy choice to just hang on to your assets and then find someone via UFA or trade next summer to put next to McAvoy.

But Gryz has been pretty dreadful all season long, and his advanced numbers that have always been excellent are genuinely bad. And since we're first in the league right now, I think it's really hard to ask Sweeney to just stand pat and not address the very obvious need at top pair LD.

If you acquire him at the TDL his contract would be pro-rated would it not? IIRC from past TDL's, teams don't take on the full cap hit at the TDL. Its usually around 25% of the cap as roughly 75% of the season has been played. Assuming that (which maybe I'm wrong) that would put Gourde at a $1.3 million hit for the rest of this season.
We're in LTIR, believe that means you need to find space for his entire cap hit, and not his prorated one. Could be wrong though.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
When Poitras is fully healthy he will probably rotate in and out. I find it hard to justify Boqvist in the lineup over Poitras, who is still running close to 0.5 ppg. However, Boqvist does have a very impressive +/- ratio for his limited games this season.

My guess is that Poitras is not on track to make a playoff roster when everyone is healthy. That does not justify sending him down the OHL in my opinion. He still could be a make or break sub in the event of injury.

No harm will come from Poitras playing spot duty the rest of the way. He's not 18, he will soon be 20. He has already dominated juniors last year and proven he is ready for pro hockey. He has already played more than a full NCAA season of games this year between the NHL and WJC. He is still practicing with the best players in the world and some gap time allows him to work on conditioning. His development will be fine here.
I honestly think Boqvist and Poitras alternating is a very good scenario for Poitras and the team

Reactions: Gordoff and HustleB

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts

Maybe Poitras has the same effect Seguin did in ECF 2011 vs Tampa

Reactions: bbfan419

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

Thats not really leverage when he doesn't have an NTC. Boston will still have to outbid whatever teams are ok with getting him as just a playoff rental.

Hes a player worth a 1st+ just as a rental. Boston should not pay that imo. Bruins aren't in a position to be spending futures.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Or you can wait and watch Dallas trade for him and resign him at the deadline. Zero guarantee whatsoever he makes it to July 1
oh well. Isn't the appeal to brining him to Boston is because he wants to play in his hometown and will sign at a discount to be there? If he wants Boston, then he'll wait on signing an extension with any other team that acquires him.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
oh well. Isn't the appeal to brining him to Boston is because he wants to play in his hometown and will sign at a discount to be there? If he wants Boston, then he'll wait on signing an extension with any other team that acquires him.
The appeal is he’s a top pair defenseman that can play with McAvoy. Something we don’t have (yet). And our biggest hole on the roster, despite the aching yearnings for third pair defensemen. Bringing him in this year (with an extension) means you also get him for this years playoff run, and you don’t roll the dice and hope no one else signs him, now or July 1.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Bruins would rather just add that centre through free agency no doubt ( guy u mentioned available they will move)but let's say they can pull a trade.What salary goes out do you figure?Hard ask not knowing team you are dealing with and needs.
Lindholm prorated would have still mean Don sending out a roster player of 2.5-3 mil. So someone would have gone had that trade gone through.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

But you would need to have 1.3 million in cap space available. So yes if the Bruins had been under the cap and accumulating space and had 1.3 million in cap space available, they could do that . The Bruins have 61K cap space at the moment, and remain with Lucic in LTIR so can accumulate more.

So while acquiring Gourde at the deadline only costs 1.3 million. Trading Gryz at the deadline, saves you under 1 million.

Assuming Lucic stays on LTIR the remainder of the year, the Bruins have about 825K they can use. Thus they can call up Patrick Brown, but not Lysel or Beecher.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
But you would need to have 1.3 million in cap space available. So yes if the Bruins had been under the cap and accumulating space and had 1.3 million in cap space available, they could do that . The Bruins have 61K cap space at the moment, and remain with Lucic in LTIR so can accumulate more.

So while acquiring Gourde at the deadline only costs 1.3 million. Trading Gryz at the deadline, saves you under 1 million.

Assuming Lucic stays on LTIR the remainder of the year, the Bruins have about 825K they can use. Thus they can call up Patrick Brown, but not Lysel or Beecher.

It's a lot easier to make room for $1.3 then $5.1 though.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Oskar Steen, Jesper Boqvist, etc. might be moved for some combination of draft picks. Make a decision on UFA Derek Forbort or you lose him for nothing once the season is done. A tough defenseman like him should bring back a decent return
Jake DeBrusk - regain some higher end draft picks or sign and keep him for the future.
Matt Grzelcyk- should be able to be sold off at the trade deadline for something decent.

Players like Marc McLaughlin, Patrick Brown, Jacob Zboril or Ian Mitchell should be moved if possible for whatever you can get.

Remember the Bruins do not have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 7th rd pick this upcoming draft. As well no 2nd or 4th rd pick in 2025. Donny needs to replenish the draft bank. It might be time to take a chance on the post season with some of your younger players like Poitras, Lohrie, etc. and see if you can cash in on trading off some assets to build draft capital as well as cap space.

Last edited:

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Matt Grzelcyk, Oskar Steen, Jesper Boqvist, can be moved for some combination of draft picks. Make a decision on UFA Derek Forbort or you lose him for nothing once the season is done.
Jake DeBrusk - regain some higher end draft picks or sign and keep him for the future.

Players like Marc McLaughlin, Patrick Brown, Jacob Zboril or Ian Mitchell should be moved if possible for whatever you can get.

This team is in first place today. They are not going to move all their depth at the NHL and AHL level for picks. Especially where the guys you are talking about moving might net you 2 3rds (Gryz, Forbort), and a 7th if lucky. And they probably need to retain on Gryz/Forbort to get that type of return

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
The appeal is he’s a top pair defenseman that can play with McAvoy. Something we don’t have (yet). And our biggest hole on the roster, despite the aching yearnings for third pair defensemen. Bringing him in this year (with an extension) means you also get him for this years playoff run, and you don’t roll the dice and hope no one else signs him, now or July 1.
BOS does not currently have the assets to beat out other contending trade offers for premium players like Hanifin. The only way I see a deadline trade for Hanifin working is if the Bruins acquire 2024 picks via other trades (DeBrusk, for example, as Conor and TY suggest) and then build a package around that. Doubtful Sweeney moves the 2025 1st.

The top 6 is ugly without JDB in it.

Memokerobi

May 4, 2018
I have not been on this board since the summer and the first name I see when I read this thread his Hanifin. Some things never change :D

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
In what way? He’s been a brutal player the last several years. Montreal got back good assets for him but that doesn’t make him a good player. Matter of fact they sold him at the perfect time.

He currently has 35 points in 49 games game giving him close to a 60pt pace on the season. But over his last 5 games he has 2g 6a meaning up until now he’s barely kept a 50pt pace on the season.

While that’s not awful, he gets nearly half of those points on the powerplay. So the team that gets him better have the perfect role for him i.e. sheltered 2nd line or ideally a 3rd line center spot with top PP time. Otherwise he will likely regress back to what he’s been the last 4 seasons.

I don’t think he’s a useless player especially with his salary being what it is, but he’s nowhere close to the guy he was 5 years ago.
Responsible at both ends of the rink

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
In what way? He’s been a brutal player the last several years. Montreal got back good assets for him but that doesn’t make him a good player. Matter of fact they sold him at the perfect time.

He currently has 35 points in 49 games game giving him close to a 60pt pace on the season. But over his last 5 games he has 2g 6a meaning up until now he’s barely kept a 50pt pace on the season.

While that’s not awful, he gets nearly half of those points on the powerplay. So the team that gets him better have the perfect role for him i.e. sheltered 2nd line or ideally a 3rd line center spot with top PP time. Otherwise he will likely regress back to what he’s been the last 4 seasons.

I don’t think he’s a useless player especially with his salary being what it is, but he’s nowhere close to the guy he was 5 years ago.
He’s playing well right now and has 21 points in 30 PLAYOFF GAMES.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad