Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
In what way? He’s been a brutal player the last several years. Montreal got back good assets for him but that doesn’t make him a good player. Matter of fact they sold him at the perfect time.

He currently has 35 points in 49 games game giving him close to a 60pt pace on the season. But over his last 5 games he has 2g 6a meaning up until now he’s barely kept a 50pt pace on the season.

While that’s not awful, he gets nearly half of those points on the powerplay. So the team that gets him better have the perfect role for him i.e. sheltered 2nd line or ideally a 3rd line center spot with top PP time. Otherwise he will likely regress back to what he’s been the last 4 seasons.

I don’t think he’s a useless player especially with his salary being what it is, but he’s nowhere close to the guy he was 5 years ago.
Sean Monahan was putting up numbers close to what Lee Stempniak was putting up when we acquired him a few years ago.

And people here are still pissed we gave up a 2nd for Stempniak.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
The Problem I have with this is what do they do next year? If they trade for Hanafin who I really like and would make our top-4 one of if not the best in the league. Next year we’d have roughly 26m in cap space with Hanafin, Debrusk, and Swayman to sign. Figure Hanafin comes in around 7m, Debrusk 6m, Sway I’ll be kind and say 5m for round numbers. That’s 16m (which I think is very low) leaving 10m to fill out nearly another 8 roster spots. That means you cannot upgrade at center.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised with Coyle and Zacha this year but to continue to go with them down the middle as your one and two may give us some decent results but that’s not a cup winning roster. A team with any strength down the middle will kill us in possession.

You hope and pray that guys like Merk & Lysell (assuming neither are traded to brin gin Hanafin) can become NHL regulars and contribute offensively. Either that or you're trading Ullmark in hopes of getting some additional cap space and possible a young NHL asset.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
The Problem I have with this is what do they do next year? If they trade for Hanafin who I really like and would make our top-4 one of if not the best in the league. Next year we’d have roughly 26m in cap space with Hanafin, Debrusk, and Swayman to sign. Figure Hanafin comes in around 7m, Debrusk 6m, Sway I’ll be kind and say 5m for round numbers. That’s 16m (which I think is very low) leaving 10m to fill out nearly another 8 roster spots. That means you cannot upgrade at center.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised with Coyle and Zacha this year but to continue to go with them down the middle as your one and two may give us some decent results but that’s not a cup winning roster. A team with any strength down the middle will kill us in

19EB8A14-D1CD-4BA9-B426-54C996AB1569.jpeg

Plug Hanifin in for Grizz. Plug Lysell in for JVR. That’s two forwards and two defensemen. Even if you go higher for Swayman to $6.5M, with Hanifin and Debrusk at your numbers you’re looking at $6.5M to fill 4LW, 13F, 3RD, 7D. Easily doable.

If you fill three of those at $1M apiece (like we have this year), you have $3.5M to play with. Getting an expensive C requires trading Ullmark - add $4M (Ullmark’s salary minus Bussi) and you have $7.5M for that last spot. And what expensive centers would really be available?

The cap situation for the Bruins is very favorable and they can add two impact players along with signing Jake and Sway, as long as they trade Ullmark as expected.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Sean Monahan was putting up numbers close to what Lee Stempniak was putting up when we acquired him a few years ago.

And people here are still pissed we gave up a 2nd for Stempniak.
I'm banging the drums to stay away from this nonsense . Heck I'm enticed to trade pasta now if he can return 5 first round picks and a solid roster player.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
View attachment 814887

Plug Hanifin in for Grizz. Plug Lysell in for JVR. That’s two forwards and two defensemen. Even if you go higher for Swayman to $6.5M, with Hanifin and Debrusk at your numbers you’re looking at $6.5M to fill 4LW, 13F, 3RD, 7D. Easily doable.

If you fill three of those at $1M apiece (like we have this year), you have $3.5M to play with. Getting an expensive C requires trading Ullmark - add $4M (Ullmark’s salary minus Bussi) and you have $7.5M for that last spot. And what expensive centers would really be available?

The cap situation for the Bruins is very favorable and they can add two impact players along with signing Jake and Sway, as long as they trade Ullmark as expected.

I don't know who would be available but throwing assets at a position that's more of a strength than our center position is where I take issue. I also don't get the point in Hanafin. Get Hanafin and yes the defense is elite. But a team with one shutdown pairing and some center depth will smother this team and quickly bounce them from the playoffs. It's a flawed lineup that is being held together by elite goaltending. I don't think this is the season to go all in, regardless of the standings.

Also, your lineup has Lysell, Lohrie, Poitras on it. Who are we giving up for Hanafin? I assume Merk and a 1st then? That seems low considering it's a 2025 first AND not even one of our top-3 prospects/young players when Lindholm garnered nearly a 40g guy ++ and Monahan a 1st+.

I think Hanafin is more of a Boston vanity project much like Coyle, Eichel, Vesey, Garlund, etc .

Again, that's just my opinion and I really don't have any idea how to fix this roster because I think it's good but far more flawed than people think in terms of getting back to possible contender status.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I don't know who would be available but throwing assets at a position that's more of a strength than our center position is where I take issue. I also don't get the point in Hanafin. Get Hanafin and yes the defense is elite. But a team with one shutdown pairing and some center depth will smother this team and quickly bounce them from the playoffs. It's a flawed lineup that is being held together by elite goaltending. I don't think this is the season to go all in, regardless of the standings.

Also, your lineup has Lysell, Lohrie, Poitras on it. Who are we giving up for Hanafin? I assume Merk and a 1st then? That seems low considering it's a 2025 first AND not even one of our top-3 prospects/young players when Lindholm garnered nearly a 40g guy ++ and Monahan a 1st+.

I think Hanafin is more of a Boston vanity project much like Coyle, Eichel, Vesey, Garlund, etc .

Again, that's just my opinion and I really don't have any idea how to fix this roster because I think it's good but far more flawed than people think in terms of getting back to possible contender status.
Yeah I guess if you don’t think we’re already in possible contender status I’m not sure what to say.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If we can move Gryz and replace him with Hanifin (not in the same deal), I'd be over the moon.
Hanifin-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Forbort-Shattenkirk
Lohrei-Wortherspoon
That's insane depth from the blueline and easily puts us with the best d-core and goalies in the NHL. Offense sells tickets, defense win championships.

Smaller deal to bring in Pat Maroon for the 4th line and I think we'd be fairly set for the playoffs.
Merkulov + 2025 1st for Hanifin (50% retained) (re-ups here as part of the deal)
Gryz to Chicago for one of their 3- 2nd round picks in 2024 (re-signs with buddies Foligno and Hall)
Maroon for Lauko

Marchy-Coyle-Pasta
JVR-Zacha-Debrusk
Freddy-Poitras-Geekie
Heinen-Beecher-Maroon
Steen/Boqvist

Hanifin-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Forbort-Shattenkirk
Lohrei-Wortherspoon

Sway
Ully
Pretty good

Grzelcyk has no value to Chicago until at least July 1

He’s been good lately.

The guy who sucked in playoffs was Cliffy - love him but he was brutal in game 2 & especially game 6

Reactions: Dizzay

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I would look to move Ullmark to a desperate team at the deadline. Target LA and NJ

Swayman is ready to take on the role as the undisputed #1 for the Bruins. Love Ullmark but why not consider moving him for assets?

2024 1st + Talbot + Pinelli
for
Ullmark (LA gets him for 1.5 years and should solve their goaltending issues)

or

2024 1st + 2025 2nd + Vanecek (Bruins backup for next year or move him at the draft for mid round pick)
for
Ullmark (NJ gets him for 1.5 years and should solve their goaltending issues)
If you move Ullmark now you damage the karma and comradeship that's been build up on the team to say nothing of the negative impact on the goalie position.

The time to move him is in the off season when players expect that changes will be made. He can possibly bring in a scorer or even a much needed 1st rounder.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Yeah I guess if you don’t think we’re already in possible contender status I’m not sure what to say.

I'd happily be wrong but I see real bad habits and play too often that is bailed out by goaltending. When things tighten up in the playoffs, I don't see them being able to outscore many playoff opponents. We're basically rolling into the playoffs with the same roster as last year but with Geekie (Hall), JVR (Bertuzzi), and if they get Hanafin (Orlov). To expect different results..... I don't buy it. But again, I'd happily be wrong but I will eat my hat and stream it live if they win more than a round these playoffs.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
IDK if he'd be available, but the guy that I'd keep an eye on is Yanni Gourde. Can play C/W, has some nasty to his game and has won a cup. Fringe 50pt player that plays a solid two-way game and has one more year on his deal. He'd be a $5.1 million cap hit for next season (assuming SEA wouldn't retain) and could be insurance if DeBrusk walks in FA.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023

Coming out of the break and Poitras is still a healthy scratch. Feels pretty obvious that he's not gonna be a guy Monty is gonna go to a ton as we head down the stretch and start preparing for the playoffs. Probably time to think about sending him back to Guelph so he can play real, consistent minutes down there IMO.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
I'd happily be wrong but I see real bad habits and play too often that is bailed out by goaltending. When things tighten up in the playoffs, I don't see them being able to outscore many playoff opponents. We're basically rolling into the playoffs with the same roster as last year but with Geekie (Hall), JVR (Bertuzzi), and if they get Hanafin (Orlov). To expect different results..... I don't buy it. But again, I'd happily be wrong but I will eat my hat and stream it live if they win more than a round these playoffs.
I think the Bruins team that's constructed this season is better than last year. Before you call me crazy, look at my avatar, I loved Patrice Bergeron but the guy was also 37 or 38 years old, same can be said for Krejci. They had a ton of miles on their bodies and both were banged up during the 1st round.

We've added JVR, Geekie, Heinen, Boqvist, Poitras, Shattenkirk, Beecher and Lohrei all to some degree to this year's roster. Pasta looks as good or better than last season, Marchy is healthy and putting up points, Swayman has taken a step forward in his development, and this is all without any deadline acquisitions.

I think overall, we're a deeper team than last season, we've injected some youth into this line up and I view adding Hanifin( top 4 major improvement) and Maroon( 4th line asshole) would make us top 3 contenders in the NHL, easily the best in the East

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I agree and that’s just it. Bring in Hanafin and if you want to resign him and bring in a better center, you’re likely going to need to make some hard decisions on Debrusk and Ullmark. And I’m not advocating not to deal either or both of those guys either way. I’m just saying the capital it takes to get Hanafin likely includes Lohrei, Lysell, or Merkulov + something. Now you’ve traded a young cost controlled asset you’re hoping can fill one or two of those eight openings on the cheap and now don’t have the money or assets for a top center.

I’m not saying my direction is the right one. I just think a Hanafin deal isn’t as straight forward as people make it out to be and comes with its own set of decisions this offseason that need to be discussed.
I’d wait for July 1st to get Hanifin in Boston.

capecodder

Jan 16, 2020
Shouldn't we wait and see how things play out with Looch before we go get a 4th line tough guy??

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Or you can wait and watch Dallas trade for him and resign him at the deadline. Zero guarantee whatsoever he makes it to July 1
So then you move on. If he really wants to play in Boston he’ll hold off resigning anywhere until free agency.

IMO the team needs a pause on tossing away their 1st round pick. Add some depth here and let’s see what the team can do. Make the big moves in the summer. And maybe use the 2025 1st to restock the cupboards

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
If we can move Gryz and replace him with Hanifin (not in the same deal), I'd be over the moon.
Hanifin-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Forbort-Shattenkirk
Lohrei-Wortherspoon
That's insane depth from the blueline and easily puts us with the best d-core and goalies in the NHL. Offense sells tickets, defense win championships.

Smaller deal to bring in Pat Maroon for the 4th line and I think we'd be fairly set for the playoffs.
Merkulov + 2025 1st for Hanifin (50% retained) (re-ups here as part of the deal)
Gryz to Chicago for one of their 3- 2nd round picks in 2024 (re-signs with buddies Foligno and Hall)
Maroon for Lauko

Marchy-Coyle-Pasta
JVR-Zacha-Debrusk
Freddy-Poitras-Geekie
Heinen-Beecher-Maroon
Steen/Boqvist

Hanifin-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Forbort-Shattenkirk
Lohrei-Wortherspoon

Sway
Ully

I certainly would not consider defense a strength. Your shot at Coyle is not called justified, he has been one of if not the MVP on this team this year.

xjoeyc23x

Apr 1, 2015
For the love of god we need a LW for Pasta and Zacha. JVR is not a long term replacement for that. He is much better suited for 3LW with Freddy on 3RW.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Coming out of the break and Poitras is still a healthy scratch. Feels pretty obvious that he's not gonna be a guy Monty is gonna go to a ton as we head down the stretch and start preparing for the playoffs. Probably time to think about sending him back to Guelph so he can play real, consistent minutes down there IMO.

I believe Poitras is dealing with an injury at the moment.

• Wow
Reactions: Gordoff and CDJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad