Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion IVX-post TDL

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
With 25 mil or so in cap space I hope Sweeney brings in a little more rounded d-man than spoon. I love the guys heart and determination but its an area the Bruins can improve on and keep Wotherspoon around as your 7th/8th defenseman.

They need to add some nasty and hard to play against when the going gets rough. I agree on Lohrei, but Ive seen enough on Carlo and his careless give away's under pressure. Hopefully they move him out and bring in a similar type player, but one who can play tougher/meaner without the giveaways, if your able to add a player like that with Lohrei their instantly better.
I agree - a lot depends on what they think of Regula

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Listening to Felger & Mazz and callers trash Swayman about complaining about going to arbitration and being in ‘awe of Svetchnikov Michigan goal is disgusting’

Sway - get your ass out of here lol

Go to LA

Ullmark wants to live here and apparently can handle to crapping on by Twitter, sports radio and other social media

I’m not sure Swayman can handle the hate coming his way

I always take anything Felger & Mazz say with a grain of salt, but I sort of agree that moving Swayman instead of Ullmark is the right idea. Should be a better return, and I’ve said many times that Ullmark has low mileage for his age, so should be viable for several years still.

I advocated for a NJ trade that brings back Daws & Bahl (and something else of value of course). Daws gives young insurance for Ullmark, and Bahl is a big physical young defenseman, left sided too.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I always take anything Felger & Mazz say with a grain of salt, but I sort of agree that moving Swayman instead of Ullmark is the right idea. Should be a better return, and I’ve said many times that Ullmark has low mileage for his age, so should be viable for several years still.

I advocated for a NJ trade that brings back Daws & Bahl (and something else of value of course). Daws gives young insurance for Ullmark, and Bahl is a big physical young defenseman, left sided too.

I'd aim higher on a Swayman trade. I know you said something else of value but Daws and Bahl don't really inspire a lot of excitement as pieces coming back.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I'd aim higher on a Swayman trade. I know you said something else of value but Daws and Bahl don't really inspire a lot of excitement as pieces coming back.
Yeah, the plus would have to be significant for sure (like their first-round pick for instance). I just like those pieces included for our current roster needs.

Last edited:

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Bergeron and Krecji were not top line centres anymore either though so who u kidding other then yourself
Then what hell are you complaining about, top line centers don't grow on trees and where were they going to get one for this season.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
I agree - a lot depends on what they think of Regula

They haven't called Regula up once this year despite eye popping plus/minus numbers, that tells me what they think of him. The addition of Peeke also speaks volumes.

Reactions: Gordoff

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
They haven't called Regula up once this year despite eye popping plus/minus numbers, that tells me what they think of him. The addition of Peeke also speaks volumes.

It is certainly possible they didn't call Regula up once this year, because they don't believe he can play at the next level.

It is also possible they didn't call him up because they were concerned they would lose him if they had to send him back down, and they didn't want to risk that for a short term call up .

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
They didn't call him up because of cap issues.

He 100% deserved a call up. But now he's injured.

It had nothing to do with how they think of him. They literally couldn't because of the cap. Wotherspoon was playing well. Then they got Peeke.

Reactions: TCB

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I am fine with center group - spend 0.0 there

A decent defensemen making 3-4 M will cause this place to explode if it’s a $4 M third pair and should be all set in top 4

Lindholm- Mac
Lohrei - Carlo
Xxxxx- Perke

Where and who he playing over ?
Well I guess we should prepare for a lot of heads to explode because paying 4 million for a LHD with a depth of Lindholm, Lohrei (basically a rookie) and Wotherspoon (really a #7) is the most obvious move they’ll make all offseason.

Skjei will probably price himself out. Zadorov and Dillon are probably the only two that make the most sense (with my preference being Z)

Unfortunately people need to get over seeing a 3-4 million dollar guy on the ‘third pair’ when minutes are allocated differently based on special teams. Gryz is on the 1st pair basically every single year and gets the least amount of minutes. In the Bruins system, most guys on the third pair get 18 minutes a night. It’s really not a big deal.

If they re-up Gryz that is what will make these boards really explode…

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Bergeron and Krecji were not top line centres anymore either though so who u kidding other then yourself

Bergeron had 58pts last year and nearly put up a 30/30 season while winning his 6th Selke. He was still very much a top center in the NHL. Krejci was top 60 in point among center last year and that was with missing 12 games.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'd look into Dillion on a 2 year deal just for insurance until Lohrei is ready. Then I would look into signing Montour and trading Carlo.
Lindholm - McAvoy
Dillion - Montour
Lohrei - Peeke
Wotherspoon - Regula
I do like Dillon on 2/8 he’s 34 in November but I like this guy a lot - I like everything you said I just don’t see them trading Carlo but I really dislike Montour as an opponent which means I’d like him here

If they did trade Carlo I love your D

Dillon & Montour UFA

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Well I guess we should prepare for a lot of heads to explode because paying 4 million for a LHD with a depth of Lindholm, Lohrei (basically a rookie) and Wotherspoon (really a #7) is the most obvious move they’ll make all offseason.

Skjei will probably price himself out. Zadorov and Dillon are probably the only two that make the most sense (with my preference being Z)

Unfortunately people need to get over seeing a 3-4 million dollar guy on the ‘third pair’ when minutes are allocated differently based on special teams. Gryz is on the 1st pair basically every single year and gets the least amount of minutes. In the Bruins system, most guys on the third pair get 18 minutes a night. It’s really not a big deal.

If they re-up Gryz that is what will make these boards really explode…
Wasn’t thinking of Brenden Dillon (BamBamCam had this) but he’s a UFA makes $3.9 M is solid 4-6 D a leader and tough and LHD

Yeh he would be a nice 2 year add if ends up a UFA

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Maybe Chandler Stephenson. Vegas has no money left to keep him. I know Stephenson is not the sexy name and plays a similar style to Coyle but better to have that kind of depth down the middle than not. Zacha/Stephenson/Poitras can all play wing also for flexibility.

I think Elias Lindholm has gone from overrated to underrated around here.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Dahl and Daws are the throw ins. I like SPV because he is the rare poster that dramatically undervalues instead of overvalues Bruins guys.

Reactions: SPV

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Frankly, I’m not convinced that anything on the UFA market is worth moving out Ullmark or Swayman. I’m in on replacing DeBrusk with Lindholm or Guentzal. But after that?

Even though he's struggling, I'd rather have Swayman than Ullmark moving forward ( if it has to come to one or the other ).

I would move Ullmark for a 1st and 2nd to a team that needs goaltending to get over the hump so they can start to replenish their draft capital. It doesn't help the current roster but it could go a long way to improving the roster down the road at the sake of a luxury.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
They didn't call him up because of cap issues.

He 100% deserved a call up. But now he's injured.

It had nothing to do with how they think of him. They literally couldn't because of the cap. Wotherspoon was playing well. Then they got Peeke.

I don't envision much of a future for him in Boston with McAvoy, Carlo and Peeke ahead of him on the RD. I say this as someone who was hoping to see him get a shot in Boston this year, he has great size, can skate and with his gaudy plus/minus numbers must have been doing something right in Providence.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Sure could be, but some of the predictions on his next contract make guys like Stephenson look a whole lot more attractive (that and he had one hell of a Cup run last spring)

Chandler "outscored by Danton Heinen at 5 on 5" Stephenson

edit: Despite the joke, I'm not against it, but Lindholm is a step above and, importantly, is good at the right hand shot on the bumper on the PP.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Even though he's struggling, I'd rather have Swayman than Ullmark moving forward ( if it has to come to one or the other ).

I would move Ullmark for a 1st and 2nd to a team that needs goaltending to get over the hump so they can start to replenish their draft capital. It doesn't help the current roster but it could go a long way to improving the roster down the road at the sake of a luxury.
I would Ullmark for a top 6 forward.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I don't envision much of a future for him in Boston with McAvoy, Carlo and Peeke ahead of him on the RD. I say this as someone who was hoping to see him get a shot in Boston this year, he has great size, can skate and with his gaudy plus/minus numbers must have been doing something right in Providence.
I hope there's a future for him. I really do.

Reactions: SPLBRUIN

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Been keeping tabs on the AHL and I find it very strange that Jeffrey Viel hasn't gotten another shot at the big leagues. He's a really tough dude and has had some great fights over the years. He's had three seasons of 30+ points and is a .5 ppg player down there, playing on the 1st line, only 27 too...

Sometimes I'll hear a poster suggest calling up Abate or Arseneau but they don't even produce half as much. Not to mention a lot of "enforcers" have never came close to his consistency at the AHL level.

Reaves most pts is 17, Rempe 12, Olivier 19, Duhaime 20...and all of a sudden Bokondji Imama just got another shot with Ottawa and same thing...most pts is 15.

I know this is a suggestion out of left field but I just find it very odd that he hasn't gotten another look. As a UFA, I think he would be worth signing as an extra next year. And if anyone remembers it took Shawn Thornton just as long to break into the league so it's not super uncommon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad