Trois-Rivières Lions 2023-24 Lions de Trois-Rivières

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Sebastien Goulet this morning on BPM Sports confirmed it's an American owner who wants to keep the team in 3R. But he also specified that he's also looking for local partners, which is a good thing to know because it wouldn't be a case of an owner being distant and not as in touch with the market and the team.

Also, it feels good to still have a game tonight. It will be on TVA Sports.

Yesterday, as the fate of 3R was still up in the air, Laval called Mann up. It could be a case of needing him for practice because one of Dobes or Kasimir were not on the ice. They've called him up for that before and they might send him back down before tonight's game. Laval isn't playing before Friday.

Reactions: Fenris

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

According to info, it's apparently Jason Dickerson who is the buyer of 3R. He owns multiple cars in NASCAR and also owns Rapid City and Greenville in the ECHL. He loves hockey.

He has 72 hours to complete the sale. But he also needs to negotiate with the city of Trois-Rivières. His goal is to keep the team there, but it would have to be advantageous to him.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I asked Vachon if Dickerson is looking to associate with local partners, and he said yes.

Two things comfort me:
1) Dickerson is a serious owner as he already owns two ECHL teams that have been around for the last 3-5 years. So he's an owner the governors are familiar with.
2) He is looking to associate with local partners, who will have a better link to the team, the organization, and the city/province.

One thing I don't want to happen is another team comes in and affiliates with 3R as this is the final year of the 3-year affiliation they have with the Habs. I hope sincerely they will extend the partnership. It makes too much sense to have Montreal, Laval, and Trois-Rivieres all affiliated.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
My feeling is that the club will be relocated south, leaving the ECHL without teams in Canada again. The city of 3R will be too greedy. Anyways, the lifespan of these franchises is low and the league still quite unstable.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
My feeling is that the club will be relocated south, leaving the ECHL without teams in Canada again. The city of 3R will be too greedy. Anyways, the lifespan of these franchises is low and the league still quite unstable.
Why do you think the city would be greedy?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
The owner of both ECHL teams ran into debt pretty fast. There were unpaid rent to the city.

He had to pay off his debt, or the league was ready to shut down the franchises.

Fix Auto was in negotiations to buy the Lions, but it fell through.

Late last week there was an American investor who was interested in purchasing the team. He paid 600,000 to the city of 3R of the 1 mill that is old. 3R is under the guardianship of the ECHL and this guy will become the new owner and the city wants to get local investors and that owner will keep the team there, or is likely.

The Growlers weren't so lucky, mainly because of how far it is from everything. It comes with extra expenses.

The Lions have the 2nd worst attendance in the ECHL.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Hopefully this also means that the association with the Habs will continue as well. A truly local owner would have been better IMO, but nobody was willing to put the money on the line I guess.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Hopefully this also means that the association with the Habs will continue as well. A truly local owner would have been better IMO, but nobody was willing to put the money on the line I guess.

Apparently there was a local owner(s) interested, but once they looked at the books, he/they backed out. However, I asked Matthew Vachon (the must follow regarding 3R), and he told me Dickerson is looking for local partners.

I also agree that the hope is the affiliation with Montreal and Laval continues. It just makes too much sense to have the only teams in the province at each level is affiliated together. The close proximity makes too much sense.

The initial 3-year affiliation is expiring this year. And maybe Montreal didn't commit to extend yet because they knew there were problems financially and the team might fold. Now that it's being resolved, I hope Montreal/Laval extends it.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Apparently there was a local owner(s) interested, but once they looked at the books, he/they backed out. However, I asked Matthew Vachon (the must follow regarding 3R), and he told me Dickerson is looking for local partners.

I also agree that the hope is the affiliation with Montreal and Laval continues. It just makes too much sense to have the only teams in the province at each level is affiliated together. The close proximity makes too much sense.

The initial 3-year affiliation is expiring this year. And maybe Montreal didn't commit to extend yet because they knew there were problems financially and the team might fold. Now that it's being resolved, I hope Montreal/Laval extends it.
Can't see why the Habs wouldn't keep the affiliation, now that the ownership is settled. They've been using it quite a bit, lots of movement between TR and Laval in the past seasons, so they have to be well aware of how useful it can be to have it all so close geographically.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
3R win and officially qualify for the playoffs!!!!!

They will take on the Norfolk Admirals.

Despite Norfolk finishing higher and should have the home ice advantage, because they have issues with their rink, 3R will actually have the home ice advantage as Games 1-3 will be played at 3R.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad